Testing air conditioning - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Testing air conditioning

The A/C condenser was replaced on my '08 GT last fall after an impact with a tire carcass on the road. It seemed to only have bent fins, but the insurance company wanted to replace it in case it had been weakened or something...the A/C was working fine at the time. So, now we have 90+ humid days and, perhaps in paranoia, it doesn't "seem" to be a cooling as well as it was. The dealer checked it (put a thermometer in the center vent) and it was cooling 20 degrees below ambient. Is that the spec on these cars? I thought 30 degrees below was what you would expect.

=Vic=

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beargap View Post
The A/C condenser was replaced on my '08 GT last fall after an impact with a tire carcass on the road. It seemed to only have bent fins, but the insurance company wanted to replace it in case it had been weakened or something...the A/C was working fine at the time. So, now we have 90+ humid days and, perhaps in paranoia, it doesn't "seem" to be a cooling as well as it was. The dealer checked it (put a thermometer in the center vent) and it was cooling 20 degrees below ambient. Is that the spec on these cars? I thought 30 degrees below was what you would expect.

=Vic=
R134 is rated to cool up to 35 degrees below ambient max. A 20 degree drop is a little anemic. I would say you may have a leak in the system that has slowly released coolant over the winter months. Have it checked out. I bet you have a bad seal(s). Could just need a charge too considering I don't know who replaced your A/C unit.

-------------------------------------------
2006 Vista Blue "Mach 1", Auto, N/A
-------------------------------------------
Too much to list and nothing really that great. If interested check out my profile.
------------------------------------------------------------
Numbers are just that...numbers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page