Cai's - always go 93 tune??? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Cai's - always go 93 tune???

From what I read a lot of people say it's pointless not to go all out and put the premium tune on the car.

So would you guys say going 93 is a must?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010
Seahorse

It's fine if you live in an area where you can get 93, a lot of places 91 is the best you can get.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthPhilly View Post
From what I read a lot of people say it's pointless not to go all out and put the premium tune on the car.

So would you guys say going 93 is a must?
if you're going to pay good money for a tune don't you want every little once of extra power you could possibly get? i'm sure you do. the only way to do that is to tune with the highest grade fuel in mind so that's why they are all 93 octane vs 89.

rides:
2006 mustang gt: headers, catback, short throw shifter, custom made grill - 8.723 @ 80..33mph
2003 e250 ambulance

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahorse View Post
It's fine if you live in an area where you can get 93, a lot of places 91 is the best you can get.
I just noticed bamachips tune for the jlt/sct is (91-93) so I guess I'm covered then.

I just saw how it says not for DD, but I guess that's just the marketing hype.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Depends on your area if you have 93 go for it if you don't then go go with the next highest octane. As for ne living in California we only have 91.

2008 Vapor Silver Mustang GT

JLTSCTSLPBMRMagnaflowEibach
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Depends on what you want to do. I have a 85, 87 and 93
Each octane increase is worth roughly 4HP.
I use 85 in the winter.

AFM Site Administrator
2006 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT Manual.
Alpine H/U with Infinity speakers.
Powerhouse CAI and Tune.
Previous Mustangs:
1978 2.8 L, 1979 5.0, 1982 5.0 "HO", 1986 5.0 GT

Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyGT View Post
Depends on your area if you have 93 go for it if you don't then go go with the next highest octane. As for ne living in California we only have 91.
there are certain gas stations where you can get 100 octance out of a pump, it aint too expensive either:smoke:

rides:
2006 mustang gt: headers, catback, short throw shifter, custom made grill - 8.723 @ 80..33mph
2003 e250 ambulance
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06silverbullet View Post
there are certain gas stations where you can get 100 octance out of a pump, it aint too expensive either:smoke:
Yea I knew that but it's pretty useless considering there's only one station near me that carries it. Also I'm suprised that try haven't done away with it since California banned race gas.

2008 Vapor Silver Mustang GT

JLTSCTSLPBMRMagnaflowEibach
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010
S197 Mustang Owner
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to hotshot
the different types of octane allow you to run the different types of tunes. for example you can only run a RACE tune on 91 or 93, not 87 octane. the 87 performance tune vs the 91 or 93 race tune i used to run was awesome! it was a night and day difference. Once you load the Race tune, you will never go back

2007 Mustang GT Convertible Stage 0 E-Force #402 Supercharger, Brenspeed Tune (435/400), GT500 Fuel pump, Clutch Delete Option, Roush Front Fascia, Brembos, California Dream Hood, Qwitch latch flush mount hood pins, MRT Light Bar, J&M LCA's, BMR UCA, UPR catch can, 6000k, Pypes Bombs, Pypes X-pipe, Airbrushed Flame pieces under the hood, Clear corners, GT500 shocks , FRPP P-springs (rear), BMR Adj Panhard, E-Force engine covers
2012 Ford Focus SEL 5Dr with MyFordTouch, Auto-Park, 303A Package,

GT Member

Lower octane tunes also help if you travel somewhere with different octane ratings. When I went through NM, they had 86, 88 and 90. Good thing I had an 87 tune. Other than that I always use my 91 tunes.

RIP 2006 Mustang GT
New Ride 04 Pontiac GTO
MACH I Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I would'nt waste my money on anything but a 93 Octane Tune. If you cant get 93 then I can understand, but if your doing it to save money then just keep it stock. Why spend all the money on a CAI and Tuner to only get a 87,89 91 Octane Tune, it just does'nt make sence to me. Run a 93 Octane Tune and you'll never go back

2002 GT Premium Auto Mineral Grey. Pypes Violater Cat Back Exhaust.
2003 V6 Auto Oxford White, all original no Mods
SOLD 2007 V6 Premium Pony
FORD BUILT WITHOUT YOUR TAX DOLLARS
SAVE AMERICA STOP OBAMA!
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1fordlover View Post
I would'nt waste my money on anything but a 93 Octane Tune. If you cant get 93 then I can understand, but if your doing it to save money then just keep it stock. Why spend all the money on a CAI and Tuner to only get a 87,89 91 Octane Tune, it just does'nt make sence to me. Run a 93 Octane Tune and you'll never go back
LOL SPOT ON in Stewies voice

2005 GT coupe
Apprentice
S197 Member

The difference can be pretty big. On 93 octane I make around 320 rwhp. On 89 octane only 298 rwhp. I'll drive around all the time on the lower octane unless I'm planning to go to the strip though.

FRPP hotrod cams, Steeda CMDP's, screaming yellow JLT CAI w/SCT tuner, screaming yellow Steeda powdercoated valve covers, FRPP 4.10's, Pypes LT w/hi-flow catted H, BMR LCA's, BMR strut tower brace, Mac axlebacks, Brenspeed dyno tune/shorty antenna/black 18x9.5 CS56 wheels
Apprentice
S197 Member

I can get my hands on 100 at my everyday exxon. Would it be worth it to put it in my car? Not worried about cost cause I dont drive it much but with my mods would it do much? Mods in my sig. Plus also would it do much when i whipple charge it with the steeda drive system. Ill keep it at around 11psi with a safe tune ofcourse till i blow the engine and 302 rebuild. Thanks

2008 Torch Red GT
Show: Trufiber GTS-2 Hood, Shelby GT Rear and Front Bumper, Shelby Hood Pins, Black Billet Grille, Cervinis Upper & Lower Scoops. Ford Racing Wheels 18x9 Front 18x10 Rear. Nitto Tires
Go: Steeda CAI + SCT Tuner Combo, JBA Long Tubes, JBA Off/Raod H, JBA Mufflers, Hurst Short Throw
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowjohn1 View Post
The difference can be pretty big. On 93 octane I make around 320 rwhp. On 89 octane only 298 rwhp. I'll drive around all the time on the lower octane unless I'm planning to go to the strip though.
Octane didn't make too much of difference for me. With Bama's 87 tune I was at 293RWHP/305RWTQ with both 91 race and tq tune my avg was about 298RWHP/309RWTQ. Maybe having 91 octane in the tank helped the 87 tune a little.

RIP 2006 Mustang GT
New Ride 04 Pontiac GTO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page