2008 Mustang Trunk Decklid/ Blackout panels, need help finding one - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

2008 Mustang Trunk Decklid/ Blackout panels, need help finding one

So right now I have the magnetic one on my car. I bought it back when I first bought the car to see how it looked before doing anything permanent. Now that I've had it on there I don't think I could imagine the car without it. However over the winter it has shrunk a bit on the sides where the white paint is now showing a little and it has also gotten some bubbles in it and now it has finally developed a crack.

I want to replace it with something more permanent without spending a ton of money on it.

I have seen the GTS one on AM and while it seems to fit pretty flush against the trunk versus being very thick, it's also glossy and the flat black looks better I think (or maybe I'm just more used to it).

As well there is a "mylar"? one I keep seeing that seems to be similiar to the GTS one (or maybe is the same one just being sold under a different name by different people)

I've seen they honeycomb style in person and while I like the flat black look of it, and the honey comb itself is kind of neat, I don't like the big border raised up around the faux gas cap, and I imagine it would be harder to keep clean versus a flat panel.

As well I would like to keep the faux gas cap if possible which seems that most that are flat black and aren't honey comb or the horizontal lines remove the faux gas cap.

Anyone know of any that sit flat against the trunk like the magnetic one (or are raised but don't stick out like it's add-on and look like it's supposed to be that way) , and are also flat black and keep the faux gas cap? Would prefer stay around $100 range or lower but if you know of one that's more please post it.

Thanks a bunch.

I've considered having it painted flat black as well, but haven't gotten any quotes from paint shops yet. Just had my rear bumper replaced after getting rear ended and that was a few hundred for paint on that so I imagine it would be in the couple hundred range for paint and labor.

2015 Oxford White GT Manual Transmission
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Manual Transmission - Sold.
2012 Grabber Blue V6 - T-boned and totaled.
2008 Performance White V6 - SOLD!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Go with a vinyl. Cheap and it's great. Check out my profile for pictures.

2008 Vapor Silver Mustang GT

JLTSCTSLPBMRMagnaflowEibach
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

That looks pretty good.

I am assuming the faux gas cap overlaps it just a little bit so as to not show the paint? It's hard to tell from the pic but it looks like it does.

Did you apply it yourself or have it done by a shop?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

if you hold off til the black friday sales i got my cdc black out plate for 90$ including shipping. it requires that you remove the fake gas cap, but i thought it looked ugly to begin with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	l_9f2785a7b3f94b0ab3245457045f2c64.jpg
Views:	8317
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	103098  

rides:
2006 mustang gt: headers, catback, short throw shifter, custom made grill - 8.723 @ 80..33mph
2003 e250 ambulance
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010
BOSS Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Rockin' Blue's
I like the honeycomb one from SilverHorse Racing, JMO
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0054.jpg
Views:	3519
Size:	462.2 KB
ID:	103099  

[LEFT]"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government " Thomas Jefferson

There's another old saying, Senator: Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining
( Outlaw Josey Wales )

My Ride : " Buster " 2007 Vista Blue GT
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I had the vinyl one. It was cheap and looked factory installed. I installed it myself and it was real easy. Its like 35 bucks I think.

2012 Race Red Ford Mustang 5.0

R.I.P.
Grey 2006 Ford Mustang SCS
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordMustang06V6 View Post
I had the vinyl one. It was cheap and looked factory installed. I installed it myself and it was real easy. Its like 35 bucks I think.
Do you have a link on that or did you have a shop custom cut it for you?

@06silverbullet:
yeah I looked at one similiar to that was smooth without any grooves or anything on the back and my only complaint is that I wouldn't be able to keep my faux gas cap. To each their own, but as far as my car goes, I think mine looks bad ass with it on, but it's definately not for everybody.

@Rockin' Blue's:
Yeah I saw that one on another stang a while back, and over all it looks good, however if you look around the gas cap, that plastic ring that is raised higher than the honey comb is what bothers me, if that weren't so pronounced and were flush with the honey comb or better yet maybe tapered inward in that area to make the gas cap more visible from the sides I would probably spring for one of those.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

The vinyl one I have was very easy to install just a wet install and a credit card. And it is completely flish around the faux gas cap. I got mine from baltimorestreetmods but there website is gone. But if I'm right they still have an eBay store you can purchase it from.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyGT View Post
The vinyl one I have was very easy to install just a wet install and a credit card. And it is completely flish around the faux gas cap. I got mine from baltimorestreetmods but there website is gone. But if I'm right they still have an eBay store you can purchase it from.
I couldn't find any links or otherwise to the store but I did see that apparently they do have one somewhere.

Mustang Decklid Panel

stumbled across that though. Is that similiar? It looks pretty good from the pictures provided on the site. But I don't have any experience with that site and haven't heard of them before.

GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

That ones pretty close. But here's the one I've got.
05 06 07 08 09 Mustang Rear Delete Blackout MATTE BLACK: eBay Motors (item 200486163617 end time Jun-28-10 08:11:55 PDT)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page