Sequential Brake lights on 2010 - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

It just all depends on the circuitry. Even the kits offered for the aftermarket 05 - 09 may not work the way you intend because you would be wiring a sequencing circuit in externally when there is already one installed in your car. I am more than guessing that the circuitry for the OEM sequencers is not in the taillight harnesses and is elsewhere in the vehicle.[/quote]

05-09 have incandesant bulbs
10- have led

2006 V6 VERT MODIFIED/DAILY/YEAR ROUND DRIVER.
K&N FILTER W/CAI, 70MM THROTTLE BODY SPACER W/OE BODY PORTED TO MATCH.
T-304 STAINLESS SHORTY HEADERS WITH DYNOMAX AXLE BACK. NOT DUALED YET
AMERICAN MUSCLE SCT SF3 TUNER
CROSS DRILLED AND SLOTTED ROTORS W/ WAGNER THERMOQUIET PADS FRONT AND REAR.
COBRA 17'S W/235'S FRONT AND 255'S REAR.
SEQUENTIAL TAILS W/DUAL HALO HEADLIGHTS AND CLEAR FRONT TURN LENS AND A WHOLE LOT OF SMALL TOUCHES THAT MAKE IT MY "ONE OFF"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRE2PASS View Post
It just all depends on the circuitry. Even the kits offered for the aftermarket 05 - 09 may not work the way you intend because you would be wiring a sequencing circuit in externally when there is already one installed in your car. I am more than guessing that the circuitry for the OEM sequencers is not in the taillight harnesses and is elsewhere in the vehicle.
05-09 have incandesant bulbs
10- have led[/quote]

That is only one difference. You can install aftermarket LED taillights on an 05-09 and use the sequencer kits that are offered as long as you wire resistors and diodes in the correct spots. It could be that the sequencing circuits for the 2010+ are in the taillights, in the SJB, or else where in a separate module. I highly doubt its in the taillight wiring harness.

-------------------------------------------
2006 Vista Blue "Mach 1", Auto, N/A
Too much to list and nothing really that great. If interested check out my profile.
------------------------------------------------------------
Numbers are just that...numbers.
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

ive been wanting to get sequentials since i first saw them, i just can get myself to spend 150 bucks for them... meh

i.imgur.com/hlhwCJZ.jpg

Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkzilla View Post
I beg to differ but you are correct. Let me explain.

Why would someone want their brake lights to sequence when you put the brake on? It looks absolutely stupid. The reason the other companies designed them to sequence the brake lights is because it takes much less electronics to design a circuit to independently sequence each of the brake lights. It's all about cost to build and profit margin. Most of the harnesses and such I have seen are made with cheap components that are susceptible to failure after repeated use. Ones that are designed correctly use a microprocessor and tie the two banks together so that when the brakes are applied they come on solid and not sequence. Why do you think Ford designed it that way for the OEM application?

And just so you know what set of lights I am talking about here is the ebay page. Looks like he has a few for sale.

Legal Mustang Sequential Taillight 05,06,07,08,09: eBay Motors (item 110542977445 end time Jul-06-10 08:20:22 PDT)

I guess when you are an electrical engineer you look for these sorts of things. I am saying all aftermarket sequencers are shoddy. But I have yet to see one that performs as well as the ones on my car though. :smoke:
I bought the above mentioned kit specifically because they do not sequence a cycle when the brake pedal is pushed. The only time they sequence is when the turn signal is actuated (just like OEM on later models). I didn't want to run afoul of the law, and if I ever got rearended, I didn't want the culprit to claim that my 'brake lights were confusing'.

"Some guys think that if you've got a cooler car, you're better than other guys. Those guys are right." - Adam Ferrara
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010 Thread Starter
GT Member

ok, ummm.... wow. Lots of thoughts on this.... Thanks!

What I want is, when I hit my brakes, the lights sequence out ONE TIME and stay on till I let off the brake. Some may think it looks stupid, I think it looks sweet!

Any thoughts on this?

2014 Mustang GT/CS - Coupe
Sterling Gray
Manual Trans
Glass Roof
Navigation
Comfort
PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Airman View Post
ok, ummm.... wow. Lots of thoughts on this.... Thanks!

What I want is, when I hit my brakes, the lights sequence out ONE TIME and stay on till I let off the brake. Some may think it looks stupid, I think it looks sweet!

Any thoughts on this?

don't listen to the haters. I think it looks good also which is why I put them on my car.

They sequence out once and then all three lights stay on until I let off the gas. and then if I am turning whichever side I am turning too sequences.

I was on thee fence about getting them as well, but then I saw some other car with them (a honda or bmw or something it was dark and so was the car) that had lights that sequenced out when they hit the brakes, a few weeks later I saw it on another mustang and decided to go ahead and spring the $130 or so for them when they had a sale or something (Mustang Sequential Taillights Kit - Plug-in (05-09) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!) pretty simple, unplug the old harness, swap the bulbs over and plug in the new harness.

If you like it get them, if anyone else doesn't like it, well it's not their car so who cares what they think.

2015 Oxford White GT Manual Transmission
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Manual Transmission - Sold.
2012 Grabber Blue V6 - T-boned and totaled.
2008 Performance White V6 - SOLD!
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramaj View Post
don't listen to the haters. I think it looks good also which is why I put them on my car.

They sequence out once and then all three lights stay on until I let off the gas. and then if I am turning whichever side I am turning too sequences.

I was on thee fence about getting them as well, but then I saw some other car with them (a honda or bmw or something it was dark and so was the car) that had lights that sequenced out when they hit the brakes, a few weeks later I saw it on another mustang and decided to go ahead and spring the $130 or so for them when they had a sale or something (Mustang Sequential Taillights Kit - Plug-in (05-09) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!) pretty simple, unplug the old harness, swap the bulbs over and plug in the new harness.
Has anybody actually attempted to swap the harnesses? I highly doubt it will work. The factory circuitry also isn't set up to drive incandescent bulbs on the 2010+ cars. LEDs pull hardly any current but incandescents pull a ton. I don't think you want to blow up your SJB do you?

Too much to list and nothing really that great. If interested check out my profile.
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
... It could be that the sequencing circuits for the 2010+ are in the taillights, in the SJB, or else where in a separate module. I highly doubt its in the taillight wiring harness.
Agreed. Most likely and cost effective spot would be in a logic circuit in the SJB.

Unfortunately, getting a '10+ to sequence once for the brakes would probably be fairly involved on a retrofit basis. I think you would have to have one or more transitor invertors across the two sides to differentiate between a brake event and a turn event. You would also need a limiting trigger circuit so that the brakes only sequence one time. I don't know if the presence of low resistence LED's would add to the difficulty. It's beyond my ability but maybe some young entrepreneur could fill a need in the market.

2007 Vista Blue GT Convertible
More mods than are readily apparent and that my wife knows about
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07vistavert View Post
Agreed. Most likely and cost effective spot would be in a logic circuit in the SJB.

Unfortunately, getting a '10+ to sequence once for the brakes would probably be fairly involved on a retrofit basis. I think you would have to have one or more transitor invertors across the two sides to differentiate between a brake event and a turn event. You would also need a limiting trigger circuit so that the brakes only sequence one time. I don't know if the presence of low resistence LED's would add to the difficulty. It's beyond my ability but maybe some young entrepreneur could fill a need in the market.
Anything can be done if you know what you are doing. I just don't want our poor author of this thread to go out buy a harness for an '05-'09 car to find out that it doesn't fit and if he modifies it to fit it isn't going to work; or worse, it blows up something in his SJB (or elsewhere). Without knowing the circuitry in the car I can't be of much help. I was actually in the process of building my own light sequencers for my car on the cheap until I came across the Perfect Flashes on the eBay link I posted. I bought the splice in kit for $89 and it would have cost me about $50 to build a similar circuit. For $40 it wasn't worth my time.

The Perfect flash circuit differentiates between a turn event and a brake event because the two light sequencers are tied together. When both lights come on at the same time the processor knows its brake time and to just turn them on solid.

GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

If the turn signal and brake light wires are separate, as long as you can prevent it from back feeding it would be easy, since once you hook the brake lights up to the turn signal and use the turn signal it will back feed to the other side.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Siberexpress/Sterling/Stripes/af58edf0-2e2e-4ffe-a201-405b00a627bc_zpseb5ae052.jpg
2013 Performance Package V6
2013 F150 6.2L Boss
Yes it is a Boss
PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Has anybody actually attempted to swap the harnesses? I highly doubt it will work. The factory circuitry also isn't set up to drive incandescent bulbs on the 2010+ cars. LEDs pull hardly any current but incandescents pull a ton. I don't think you want to blow up your SJB do you?

Sorry to confuse, I didn't mean that was the part he needed, that's the one I used on my car and I posted it as reference. He would obviously need to find one for his model year.

I was however agreeing that the brakes lights sequencing out once and then all three staying on as they sequence outward looks good.

PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I totally agree with you.. There is nothing more ugly then sequencing brake lights and I would never purchanse any aftermarket sequencing kits for this very reason. I will get the one on ebay you linked tho. Thanks

Quote:
I beg to differ but you are correct. Let me explain.

Why would someone want their brake lights to sequence when you put the brake on? It looks absolutely stupid. The reason the other companies designed them to sequence the brake lights is because it takes much less electronics to design a circuit to independently sequence each of the brake lights. It's all about cost to build and profit margin. Most of the harnesses and such I have seen are made with cheap components that are susceptible to failure after repeated use. Ones that are designed correctly use a microprocessor and tie the two banks together so that when the brakes are applied they come on solid and not sequence. Why do you think Ford designed it that way for the OEM application?

And just so you know what set of lights I am talking about here is the ebay page. Looks like he has a few for sale.

Legal Mustang Sequential Taillight 05,06,07,08,09: eBay Motors (item 110542977445 end time Jul-06-10 08:20:22 PDT)

I guess when you are an electrical engineer you look for these sorts of things. I am not saying all aftermarket sequencers are shoddy. But I have yet to see one that performs as well as the ones on my car though. :smoke:

==================
2007 Redfire Mustang GT Premium Convertible, Black cloth top, 5 speed, heated seats, IUP, PTP, Dark charcoal with chamois seats, 18" polished wheels, side air bags, Shaker 500, Wheel Locking Kit, Active Anti-Theft System, spoiler delete, Ford racing X pipe, SLP LM's, FRPP Bullitt cai, Tillmans dyno tune, MGW shifter.. born 10/18/2006
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRE2PASS View Post
Webelectric's were the first purchase for mine. They sequence out once and hold until the pedal is released.
I have seen fire engines, ambulances, police cars and tow trucks with sequential lighting and there drivers all agree that the sequential lights draw your attention to your vehicle, which when you are stopping is the best way is the best way to avoid accidents.

you are right. It will get the attention of a cop.. I know 2 guys who got tickets for sequencing brake lights. Its not supposed to do this(as it was in the 60's) and it looks childish.. yuk

==================
2007 Redfire Mustang GT Premium Convertible, Black cloth top, 5 speed, heated seats, IUP, PTP, Dark charcoal with chamois seats, 18" polished wheels, side air bags, Shaker 500, Wheel Locking Kit, Active Anti-Theft System, spoiler delete, Ford racing X pipe, SLP LM's, FRPP Bullitt cai, Tillmans dyno tune, MGW shifter.. born 10/18/2006
PONY Member
S197 Member

just for the the heck of the high amount of incorrect info in this thread i will say this bit, i have had the cdc seq. sense 07,not one problem, and recently i got LED bulb for them also(no resistors) and guess what, they look better than ever and still work perfect. as far as legalities go,not one ticket.if that were true every old t-bird from the 60s would have been illegal, hell i see city busses with them!

2007 mustang gt premo/alloy grey on dove int/hurst shift/gt500 pedals/
sequental tail lights/2008 ceter concel with lite ring/mustang lit door sills/frpp push start/20x8.5/20x10 blackcrome bullit motorsports/
cdc chin spoiler/saleen H.I.D. headlights/steeda udp/oem nav/
factory side scoops/gt500 rear bumper/saleen 12in. sub/frpp bullitt cai/frpp bullitt strut bar/frpp x pipe/magnaflow cat backs/
oem nav/and more 2 come [but are we ever realy done?]
PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scicco999 View Post
just for the the heck of the high amount of incorrect info in this thread i will say this bit, i have had the cdc seq. sense 07,not one problem, and recently i got LED bulb for them also(no resistors) and guess what, they look better than ever and still work perfect. as far as legalities go,not one ticket.if that were true every old t-bird from the 60s would have been illegal, hell i see city busses with them!
agreed, I see people in here swearing up and down how illegal they are.

however not one of them has provided any evidence to back that up.

And if they were illegal, that cop I braked in front of would have probably got me for having illegal tail lights instead of letting me go with a warning about being a bad driver. (thanks dude wherever you are)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page