Sequential Brake lights on 2010 - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramaj View Post
agreed, I see people in here swearing up and down how illegal they are.

however not one of them has provided any evidence to back that up.

And if they were illegal, that cop I braked in front of would have probably got me for having illegal tail lights instead of letting me go with a warning about being a bad driver. (thanks dude wherever you are)
Most cops have better things to do than pull you over for this. You have to read between the lines as far as legality. They are illegal in the sense that your brake lights are not operating properly. When the brake is applied it could be conceived as an intent to turn in either direction (left or right) because that is how your turn signals signal to turn either direction. Yes, it is a small legality, but it is true. Cops can be dicks, what can I say. Why take the chance; especially when it looks stupid anyways? Offroad exhaust systems are illegal to drive on the road too but I would much rather take the chance with something that sounds awesome and gives me a performance benefit

-------------------------------------------
2006 Vista Blue "Mach 1", Auto, N/A
Too much to list and nothing really that great. If interested check out my profile.
------------------------------------------------------------
Numbers are just that...numbers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scicco999 View Post
if that were true every old t-bird from the 60s would have been illegal, hell i see city busses with them!
Unless the Lights were working incorrectly, all 6 bulbs on the old T-Bird, Mustang Shelby and the Cougar all lit at 1 time when the brakes were applied.
As for the kits that make the brake lights sequence out, it is easier to do that than to have them all on steady, at least in a wiring sense because you do not need the separate brake light wire or the circuitry to make them work.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Siberexpress/Sterling/Stripes/af58edf0-2e2e-4ffe-a201-405b00a627bc_zpseb5ae052.jpg
2013 Performance Package V6
2013 F150 6.2L Boss
Yes it is a Boss
PONY Member
S197 Member

just like my profile says, i live in the land where almost everything that we want to do to a car is deemed illegal,where they will block main roads and put your car on a portable dyno to do a smog check (inspection) when ever,where ever.but every state is different, but none are as tough as California

2007 mustang gt premo/alloy grey on dove int/hurst shift/gt500 pedals/
sequental tail lights/2008 ceter concel with lite ring/mustang lit door sills/frpp push start/20x8.5/20x10 blackcrome bullit motorsports/
cdc chin spoiler/saleen H.I.D. headlights/steeda udp/oem nav/
factory side scoops/gt500 rear bumper/saleen 12in. sub/frpp bullitt cai/frpp bullitt strut bar/frpp x pipe/magnaflow cat backs/
oem nav/and more 2 come [but are we ever realy done?]

GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
just like my profile says, i live in the land where almost everything that we want to do to a car is deemed illegal,where they will block main roads and put your car on a portable dyno to do a smog check (inspection) when ever,where ever.but every state is different, but none are as tough as California
One of more than 1 reason I left there in 1994, I would have had to wait 4 years to reregister my 505 HP 73 Cougar Legally, since it would not pass the smog inspection.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Siberexpress/Sterling/Stripes/af58edf0-2e2e-4ffe-a201-405b00a627bc_zpseb5ae052.jpg
2013 F150 6.2L Boss
Yes it is a Boss
Apprentice

I have them and love them. Have actually had a couple of cops comment tome how cool they look. One local and one state. I need to replace one because something happened to it but that is the brakes sometimes.

Oh and as far as your opinion they look stupid just stuff it. The person who started this thread asked for help and while you have made your contribution it is overshadow by your opinion which while you are entitled to I for one am tired of hearing it.

Rant over

2007 Mustang GT California Special. Redfire with black/parchment leather, 5 speed. K&N Aircharger, Hood Struts, Custom Painted Gril Pony, SHR Sequential Tail Lights, SHR Honeycomb Taillight Panel, SHR Lower Grill Insert, BMR Strut Tower Brace, MGW Shifter @ 5 turns, GT500 Rear Splash Guards, Clear front markers w/stealth bulbs, SHR Flush-Mount louvers,MAG Mirror Covers, Ford Racing GTAs, painted brake calipers
PONY Member
S197 Member

Aside from the legality, stupidness, and why opinions I have stated several times why this would be difficult to do. Rest assured, it can be done but it is much more complicated than just putting a new wiring harness in. No more commments from me either. :yelpleased:

2006 Vista Blue "Mach 1", Auto, N/A
Too much to list and nothing really that great. If interested check out my profile.
------------------------------------------------------------
Numbers are just that...numbers.
Apprentice

than my job here is done.

Good luck with the mod

2007 Mustang GT California Special. Redfire with black/parchment leather, 5 speed. K&N Aircharger, Hood Struts, Custom Painted Gril Pony, SHR Sequential Tail Lights, SHR Honeycomb Taillight Panel, SHR Lower Grill Insert, BMR Strut Tower Brace, MGW Shifter @ 5 turns, GT500 Rear Splash Guards, Clear front markers w/stealth bulbs, SHR Flush-Mount louvers,MAG Mirror Covers, Ford Racing GTAs, painted brake calipers
post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010 Thread Starter
GT Member

Ehhhhh I think I am just going to keep what I got. I have no problems splicing. It's what I do for a living. But i'm not about to create a whole new circuit board and all that jazz just to do some tail lights.

Thanks guys. This is obviously much more diffacult and invloved than I thought it would be.

I appreciate the advice, and the opinions for that matter.

2014 Mustang GT/CS - Coupe
Sterling Gray
Manual Trans
Glass Roof
Navigation
Comfort
PONY Member
S197 Member

I have the Web Electric units in my Bullitt, and think they're great. I don't care that the brake lights also sequence, and I don't think that them doing so is stupid at all; it does draw more attention. I think that the seller of those that don't sequence the brakes, wants to make an issue of that fact solely to promote sales. The sequencing of the brakes is not a bad thing at all, and may well be safer than standard brake lights.

'08 Bullitt -Highland Green
'09 GT-500KR -Black/Black

PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

To modify the lights on the 2010 it isn't a matter of changing some wiring. The lights are presently controlled by a body computer located in the right rear fender area of the trunk. There isn't the standard wires that run back to the lights, the signals that go back there are from the front body computer under the dash, control the rear computer, which then light the LEDs. These are not double filament bulbs, the computer varies the duty cycle of the signal going to them to diferentiate between running lights, and the brighter brake/turn lights. If you cut into the wires to wire them up to new sequencers, you would loose the running lights. There are not separate lights.

Now for an opinion, I was behind a Mustang that had the lights sequence when he hit the brakes, and my thought was that he bought a cheap sequencer to make them flash. It didn't look natural.
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

the 60's T birds do NOT have seq. brakelights.. Thats the illegal part. Not the turn signals.

Quote:
just for the the heck of the high amount of incorrect info in this thread i will say this bit, i have had the cdc seq. sense 07,not one problem, and recently i got LED bulb for them also(no resistors) and guess what, they look better than ever and still work perfect. as far as legalities go,not one ticket.if that were true every old t-bird from the 60s would have been illegal, hell i see city busses with them!

==================
2007 Redfire Mustang GT Premium Convertible, Black cloth top, 5 speed, heated seats, IUP, PTP, Dark charcoal with chamois seats, 18" polished wheels, side air bags, Shaker 500, Wheel Locking Kit, Active Anti-Theft System, spoiler delete, Ford racing X pipe, SLP LM's, FRPP Bullitt cai, Tillmans dyno tune, MGW shifter.. born 10/18/2006
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramaj View Post
agreed, I see people in here swearing up and down how illegal they are.

however not one of them has provided any evidence to back that up.

And if they were illegal, that cop I braked in front of would have probably got me for having illegal tail lights instead of letting me go with a warning about being a bad driver. (thanks dude wherever you are)
Federal Law

Quote:
DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
National Highway Traffic Safety
Administration
49 CFR Part 571
RIN AG–38
[Docket No. 96–41, Notice 01]
Federal Motor Vehicle Safety
Standards; Lamps, Reflective Devices
and Associated Equipment
Just an part of what is said

Quote:
Likewise,
stop lamps are required to be steadyburning
to distinguish them from the
required flashing of turn signals and
hazard warning signal lamps of the
same brightness and color. Paragraph
S5.1.3 of Standard No. 108 also allows
for auxiliary lighting equipment beyond
the required equipment, provided that
the auxiliary equipment does not
‘‘impair the effectiveness’’ of the
required lamps and reflectors. (In the
case of auxiliary lamps of emergency
vehicles and tow trucks, the usual
agency policy is to leave the
specifications to the discretion of State
governments.)
Now years ago the made a Sequential kit for the Semi Trailers that was cool, but it had a place to hook the brake light wire in so the brake lights were steady. I was pulling a trailer that had this set up and the brake light wire was not hooked up so the brake lights did their Sequential bit, got pulled in in Missouri at a scale house and was inspected and given a ticket for illegal lights on my trailer and was not allowed to leave until they were fixed. This was the first chance I had to Google it but there it is.

BTW, Most Cops have a hard enough time keeping up with Changing Local and State laws so throwing in the Federal Statutes would really toughen up their jobs. A Commercial Cop has the opportunity to study up on both State and federal laws in their training, the reason he would catch it over a normal patrol officer.

2013 F150 6.2L Boss
Yes it is a Boss
PONY Member

for one, i'm really surprised to hear people say that the sequential brake lights are 'childish', i know it's just opinions, but this is the first time i've heard people say they weren't good looking. me personally i think the sequential brake are freakin cool, i see people in my rearview ALL the time pointing them out when i break, now whether or not they're liking them, i don't know, but they're still briging attention to my baby. and secondly, no matter what the law states, here in the 757 cops will pull you over for ANYTHING, and i seem to have a cop behind at least once a day, not one has said anything to me or tried to pull me over.

2008 Bullitt #3937
2003 Cobra
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topbliss View Post
the 60's T birds do NOT have seq. brake lights.. Thats the illegal part. Not the turn signals.
did i say Tail LIGHTS and what is this part off of then?the middle one is for a 1965t bird the last is off a 67 mec cougar each is the first year the cars were offered this as an option. would you like part #s too! and they are cool as hell!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture7.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	103972   Click image for larger version

Name:	1965 t bird.jpg
Views:	850
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	103978   Click image for larger version

Name:	1967 coger.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	103979  

2007 mustang gt premo/alloy grey on dove int/hurst shift/gt500 pedals/
sequental tail lights/2008 ceter concel with lite ring/mustang lit door sills/frpp push start/20x8.5/20x10 blackcrome bullit motorsports/
cdc chin spoiler/saleen H.I.D. headlights/steeda udp/oem nav/
factory side scoops/gt500 rear bumper/saleen 12in. sub/frpp bullitt cai/frpp bullitt strut bar/frpp x pipe/magnaflow cat backs/
oem nav/and more 2 come [but are we ever realy done?]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page