First Drive: GreenLeafPrime & Sqidd's suspension setup and more... - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

First Drive: GreenLeafPrime & Sqidd's suspension setup and more...

What makes my experience different from others is because I am not coming off a stock suspension. I switched from H&R Sportline springs to Sqidd's recommended Steeda springs (although I got the Sport instead of the Ultralites because I have a convertible), I also already have Steeda Lower Control Arms. So the other parts I had installed from GLP were GT500 shocks, and GT500 front sway bar. All work was done by Brenspeed in Pierceton Indiana. Lucky me they are just 40 minutes away from where I live.

In addition to the suspension mods. I also had Brenspeed install a Kook's 1 3/4" headers with 3" collectors, and mated it to Magnaflow's 3" Magnapacks.

Okay here it goes...
I immediately felt how higher the car sits off the ground as soon as I sat in it. It definitely feels less jarring over bumps and road imperfections. Remember, I had the very stiff Sportlines in there before. When turning hard, it does feel like it leans just a tad bit more than before but nothing drastic though. It still feels like it's on rails and very confidence inspiring. For the ground clearance and comfort that I gained, that is well worth the little sacrifice. Now I don't have to cringe on every bump I hit. It's a lot more relaxing to drive the car. I don't have to dodge every road imperfection anymore.

For the oversteer and understeer feel. I took her to my favorite deserted play areas I am very familiar with. Where I always drive the same hard way all the time. Well... she's a little bit more loose than before, but not in a horrifying "OMG I'm gonna die!" way. It was a smooth and well controlled drift. AGAIN: The H&R Sportlines springs are an inch lower than the Steeda Sports. Plus the H&R's rates are stiffer than an old man's back.

Conslusion: I love it!!!
If I live in the Orlando Florida are, I would've kept the stiffer H&R's. But the roads here in Fort Wayne Indiana are full of surprises, especially right after winter.

Here's my dilema:
Sqidd was right (again of course) about the 3" exhaust being quieter than a traditional 2.5" exhaust. The 3" Magnapacks are so much quieter than my old Pypes Mid-mufflers that I think I might be pushing the car harder through the corners than I usually do. Which could be causing it to drift more. At first I was disappointed with the sound, but now, it's growing on me. It's quieter, but it sure sounds a whole lot better. Maybe, I'll post a video sometime. It growls almost like the old 2 valve engine. I will experiment on an SLP Loudmouth or Corsa later.

Did I lose some low end torque with the 3" exhaust?
Not sure, but she feels quite very strong to me.
Well, at least I can say this... I raced a Yamaha R6 for just about a quarter mile and spanked him. We started at about a slow 20 mph rolling start. Disclaimer: It was 4th of July noon, there were no cars in front of us at all.

As far as ground clearance.. I had 3 adults in the car and my 6 year old cruising around near fireworks time and on areas where I would normally hear it bottom out, we were just fine. I would hear the pipe that goes over the axle hit the axle on really bad bumps, but that's acceptable when moving from 2.5" to 3" exhaust pipes. I'd still try to adjust them more later.

What now?
Well... I have all these parts that were taken off to sell. AFM members get first dibs. Next week they all go on eBay.

H&R Sportline Springs
JBA ceramic coated shorty headers
Pypes Mid Mufflers
Bassani x-pipe with hi-flow cats

GT shocks
GT front sway bar
GT500 springs
GT500 strut tower brace

Pricing follows.
Haven't done any research on pricing yet.

Pics pics pics! Of course I have them.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0169c.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	103783   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0169 Steeda Sports Springs.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	485.2 KB
ID:	103784   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1564.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	411.2 KB
ID:	103785   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1571.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	257.0 KB
ID:	103786   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1567.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	269.3 KB
ID:	103787  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1565.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	396.2 KB
ID:	103788   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1568.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	404.4 KB
ID:	103789   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1569.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	360.1 KB
ID:	103790  

2007 GT Convertible •5 spd •450 rwhp 445 rwtq
Saleen Supercharged •C&L Racer CAI •Brenspeed Custom Dyno Tuned •3.73 FRPP •MGW Shifter •CHE K brace & torque limiters •Kooks 1 3/4" LT Headers 3" collectors 3" off road x-pipe •3" Magnaflow Magnapacks •18" FR500 Wheels •275 Rear Tires •GT500 Fuel Pump •Steeda Sports Springs •GT500 shocks struts front sway bar •Steeda LCA & pan hard bar •Slotted/Drilled Rotors •more...
Stock exterior for effect! ░▒▓█
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Oh one more thing that makes the GT500/Steeda suspension combo superior than my old setup was reduced wheel hop.

When I take of hard and hit a bump, my wheels would just spin out of control. That's probably because my shocks were too soft for my springs (I think). Nevertheless, whatever it was that was causing it in my old setup, it's gone with this new setup.

2007 GT Convertible •5 spd •450 rwhp 445 rwtq
Saleen Supercharged •C&L Racer CAI •Brenspeed Custom Dyno Tuned •3.73 FRPP •MGW Shifter •CHE K brace & torque limiters •Kooks 1 3/4" LT Headers 3" collectors 3" off road x-pipe •3" Magnaflow Magnapacks •18" FR500 Wheels •275 Rear Tires •GT500 Fuel Pump •Steeda Sports Springs •GT500 shocks struts front sway bar •Steeda LCA & pan hard bar •Slotted/Drilled Rotors •more...
Stock exterior for effect! ░▒▓█
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to McComb05GT
Congrats on the new mods! Sounds like I should take a trip to Brenspeed sometime too...

2005 Mustang GT
5 Speed Manual - Shaker Hood - Side Window Louvers - SLP Loudmouth Exhaust - JLT CAI W/Tune - Rear Panel Blackout - Black GT Emblems - Tinted Windows - 14" Antenna
Silver Mustang Registry #1135
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page