oil seperators...who needs them? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

oil seperators...who needs them?

Been seeing oil seperators for sale. Are these of use to folks without superchargers or turbo chargers? Didn't know if they would prolong the life of a stock engine. Regardless, what is the best brand to get? Could someone also explain what these are for in more detail than a marketing pitch? Thanks in advance.

'08 Vapor Silver V6 Pony package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

They separate the oil from the pvc system, and can be used on a stock car or modified with super or tubo charger. It all comes down to what you want to spend on one in the end.

'05 GT
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010
S197 Mustang Owner
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to hotshot
i used it stock and now that i'm s/c. It takes out double the amount now that i've got the blower, but it worked very well still N/A and took out a lot of junk that would have gone back into the engine.

I've got a big UPR catch can BTW
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30929_653496465942_26111892_36796046_5583430_n.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	105302  

2007 Mustang GT Convertible Stage 0 E-Force #402 Supercharger, Brenspeed Tune (435/400), GT500 Fuel pump, Clutch Delete Option, Roush Front Fascia, Brembos, California Dream Hood, Qwitch latch flush mount hood pins, MRT Light Bar, J&M LCA's, BMR UCA, UPR catch can, 6000k, Pypes Bombs, Pypes X-pipe, Airbrushed Flame pieces under the hood, Clear corners, GT500 shocks , FRPP P-springs (rear), BMR Adj Panhard, E-Force engine covers
2012 Ford Focus SEL 5Dr with MyFordTouch, Auto-Park, 303A Package,

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010
GT Member

The worst part about the PCV oil vapor on the stock V6 is that it collects on the backside of the throttle body, and the EGR bakes all that gunk on there.

2007 Satin Silver V6 / Explorer Express X-Charger #67 - Xtreme 2.6 - INTERCOOLED!
AEM, MSD, JBA, Zabteck, FRPP X, Dynomax bullets, Pype Bombs, J&M, Steeda, Tokico d-spec, H&R Race, Eibach, Shelby Fays2, Shaftmasters, 8.8, t-lok, 3.73, OE Wheels Cobra R 18x9/10, Nitto 555 255/285, Hawk HPS, GT/CS F/R fascia
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like it's a good modification to buy. An ounce of prevention if you will. I plan on keeping my car for a long time, so I want it to be like new as long as possible. Of course now you folks got me wanting to save up from a super charger Baby steps for now I guess. Thanks again for helping me clear that up.

'08 Vapor Silver V6 Pony package
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010
GT Member

I just got one of these from Home Depot. Less than $15.

Make sure the filter is sintered bronze and not some plastic or ceramic material. The other stuff can crumble over time.

I replaced the bottom valve with a pipe plug, since it seals only under pressure and not vacuum.

I used 1/4" pipe instead of hose fittings. It's the right size to splice into the stock PCV line. Use a heat gun if necessary.

2007 Satin Silver V6 / Explorer Express X-Charger #67 - Xtreme 2.6 - INTERCOOLED!
AEM, MSD, JBA, Zabteck, FRPP X, Dynomax bullets, Pype Bombs, J&M, Steeda, Tokico d-spec, H&R Race, Eibach, Shelby Fays2, Shaftmasters, 8.8, t-lok, 3.73, OE Wheels Cobra R 18x9/10, Nitto 555 255/285, Hawk HPS, GT/CS F/R fascia
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010
GT Member

Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ugly View Post
I just got one of these from Home Depot. Less than $15.

Make sure the filter is sintered bronze and not some plastic or ceramic material. The other stuff can crumble over time.

I replaced the bottom valve with a pipe plug, since it seals only under pressure and not vacuum.

I used 1/4" pipe instead of hose fittings. It's the right size to splice into the stock PCV line. Use a heat gun if necessary.
I like you craftyness I cant see paying almost $100 on the one from UPR they are all over ebay for about $20 and it;s doing the exact same thing.

2008 Mustang GT, On3Performance Turbo Kit 9 PSI, , LFP 4in One Piece DS, MMR Rear Coil Overs, Competition Engineering 3 Way ajustable Rear Shocks, WOT Box, 3:73 gears, B&M LCA

PB [email protected], [email protected]
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010
PONY Member

My '06 GT used to suffer from "smokey startups", about every third time I would start it. I installed the UPR can and problem solved. It's usually pretty full after 4K-5K miles. I am convinced this adds to the carbon around the plugs problem and to breaking plugs.

2006 GT Convertible - Screamin' Yellow, Black top & leather
Corsa exhaust
87 octane Brenspeed tune
6000K, 35 W BiXenon HID headlights (Retro-Solutions)
18" Fanblades
5 Speed w/MGW shifter
Nitto 555 G2 tires
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010
MACH I Member

Garage
If you have a setup like Hotshot's, then you're in business. If not, good luck on finding proper hoses to fit the adapters on the manifold and TB. You need those that will not collapse under pressure, i.e. gas/oil hoses and they're stiff as hell.

IF MY CAR WENT AS FAST AS THE MONEY I SPEND ON IT, I'D WIN EVERY RACE

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikapp View Post
If you have a setup like Hotshot's, then you're in business. If not, good luck on finding proper hoses to fit the adapters on the manifold and TB. You need those that will not collapse under pressure, i.e. gas/oil hoses and they're stiff as hell.

I think you mean under vacuum.
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikapp View Post
The drivers side hose needs to be 9/16"id and the line that runs from the passangerside to the CAI is 3/8"id. You only need one on the drivers side and you can fing the hose at PEP Boys. The can I got from AM looks great but the hose that came with it was useless. I ended up buying braided line that would hold up better.

Forged bottom end, Ported heads, Saleen super charger, 2.8 blower pulley/15psi, Dual stage water to air intercooler, AFCO heat exchanger, battery relocated, Twin GT500 fuel pumps, T-56 trans, Aluminum flywheel, Aluminum driveshaft, 3.73 rear gears, Eaton TruTrac Diff, TA Performance rear end girdle, Racecraft suspension system, UCA, LCA, panhard bar, 15" slotted front rotors w/ 6 piston calipers, Carbon Fiber front splitter/rear diffuser, and bunch of other stuff
RWHP/RWTQ is adequate
Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redruder View Post
The can I got from AM looks great but the hose that came with it was useless.
The hose that came with my KB (stiff fuel line I think) would collapse when I blipped the throttle.

I went with braided also.

Waiting on 2019 GT500

2012 GT Vert Brembo - Stock-ish

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 406rwhp/522rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?

2007 GT-TSR/Stops/Turns/Custom Everything/3.4L Whipple Crusher/1000hp SOLD
PONY Member
4.6L Member

My hose would collapse as well, I am waiting for braided

2014 GT Track Pack. JLT CAI. 94 dyno Tune,MBRP street catback, LCA, PHB, Springs.
GT Member

Mines just spliced into the factory rigid tube. Works great, and I didin't have to buy any extra hose.

You can see it on the far left in this pic, under the strut brace.

PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

My JLT separator reuses the stock tube also. I liked it for the aluminum stock look and the grip on the tank.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jlt.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	105407  

1969 Mustang Fastback, 347 Stroker, Tremec 5 speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page