Stock Tire Size Advice - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Stock Tire Size Advice

I am at the point where I need to replace my tires. I was hoping to be able to upgrade to some 18" deep dish bullitts when it was time to replace the tires, but it is not in the budget right now, so I will just have to replace the tires on the stock 17" bullitts. I have a couple of questions. I did a search on here but was unable to find the info I was looking for. What is the widest tires that will fit on the stock rims? 245's? 255's? If so, what aspect ratio with each so that I don't have major difference in speedometer readings? Also, has anyone tried the Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires? I was looking on www.tirerack.com and this seems to be the highest rated tire matching the stock size. Any other brands members would recommend other than the stock Pirelli's? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHOP1969 View Post
I am at the point where I need to replace my tires. I was hoping to be able to upgrade to some 18" deep dish bullitts when it was time to replace the tires, but it is not in the budget right now, so I will just have to replace the tires on the stock 17" bullitts. I have a couple of questions. I did a search on here but was unable to find the info I was looking for. What is the widest tires that will fit on the stock rims? 245's? 255's? If so, what aspect ratio with each so that I don't have major difference in speedometer readings? Also, has anyone tried the Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires? I was looking on www.tirerack.com and this seems to be the highest rated tire matching the stock size. Any other brands members would recommend other than the stock Pirelli's? Thank you.
I wouldn't go any larger than 245's and you won't find much that will fit. Most have a 50% aspect ratio. If I were you I would just throw some more 235s on your wheels. Check out Lowest Priced Tires - TireMonkey. I am running Toyos but I am plus-sized and there wasn't much to choose from. The stock Pirellis suck a$$.

-------------------------------------------
2006 Vista Blue "Mach 1", Auto, N/A
-------------------------------------------
Too much to list and nothing really that great. If interested check out my profile.
------------------------------------------------------------
Numbers are just that...numbers.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010
PONY Member

i would want to see those Conti's in person before i bought them, but they "look" good for the price.
check out this AFM wheel/tire link for more opinions:
Wheels and Tires Forum | AllFordMustangs.com

good luck

2010 GT500. Kona blue. It's loud. It's clean. And I love it.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010
Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

How wide are the stock rims?

Are you looking for a summer tire, all season, in the middle?

Waiting on 2019 GT500

2012 GT Vert Brembo - Stock-ish

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 406rwhp/522rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?

2007 GT-TSR/Stops/Turns/Custom Everything/3.4L Whipple Crusher/1000hp SOLD
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010
PONY Member

I'm guessing the stock Bullitts are 8"-8.5" and I would think you could get a 275 on there. If not go 245-255. I recommend the Nitto 555s, my car hooked up really well with some 245/45/18s . I now run the GT500 285 Eagle F1s and they work amazingly!

2004 SVT Cobra- Sold
2005 GT Premium- Sold
1990 GT Hatch- Sold
1989 GT Vert - Sold
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

The stock wheels are 8" and I continued to do research and it appears that the widest tire that will fit without sacrificing handling is the 255/50/17. I have a friend that works at firestone and might be able to hook me up on a good deal for new wheels if I decide to go that route, which I might since they have 6 months same as cash, making the new wheels possible now. I like the classic look of the bullitts, especially the deep dish on the 18's. However, after looking on several different sites at wheels, I am curious to see these MOTEGI MR116 MATTE BLACK W/RED STRIPE wheels on my tungsten grey GT that I found at American Racing: Official Manufacturer Website- custom, chrome, polished and painted wheels on the second page. Since they don't have a 18x10, I was considering 18x9's on all four with 275/40/18 like on Roush's. Anyone running these size wheels and tires on all four on a non Roush GT? Are there any issues? It doesn't appear to be on the Roush's, but not sure if there have been any changes to suspension to allow these to work fine or if I would need to make any other changes on my stock GT?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010
Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHOP1969 View Post
The stock wheels are 8" and I continued to do research and it appears that the widest tire that will fit without sacrificing handling is the 255/50/17. I have a friend that works at firestone and might be able to hook me up on a good deal for new wheels if I decide to go that route, which I might since they have 6 months same as cash, making the new wheels possible now. I like the classic look of the bullitts, especially the deep dish on the 18's. However, after looking on several different sites at wheels, I am curious to see these MOTEGI MR116 MATTE BLACK W/RED STRIPE wheels on my tungsten grey GT that I found at American Racing: Official Manufacturer Website- custom, chrome, polished and painted wheels on the second page. Since they don't have a 18x10, I was considering 18x9's on all four with 275/40/18 like on Roush's. Anyone running these size wheels and tires on all four on a non Roush GT? Are there any issues? It doesn't appear to be on the Roush's, but not sure if there have been any changes to suspension to allow these to work fine or if I would need to make any other changes on my stock GT?
It would be too bad not to get rims as wide as they can be since wider doesn’t cost more for the most part. At a minimum I would go with 9.5’s all the way around. Preferably 18’s because there is a much larger tire selection in 18”.

Check these Konig wheels out, they are reasonably priced:

Konig 18 inch custom rims

Konig Zero-In custom rims

Konig Lace custom rims

These are a bit more but are nice and light and will clear big brakes.
18x9.5 Rota DPT - Flat Black (5x100x114.3/e44/73) Wheeldude.com - Professional wheel dealer.

As far as tires go I think the best bang for the buck out there right now is the Sumitomo HTR Z III’s. They get fantastic reviews, last forever, stick well and the price is right. When I chuck the wheels at my Vert I will be going with these as “all season” tires.

If you can go with 9.5” rims all the way around throw 275’s on them and they will be perfect. And you will be able to rotate them because they aren’t staggered.

Another option is to go with these. They will fit perfect, OEM wheels are of much higher quality than any under $200 rim. They are 18x9’s, they have great high dollar tires and in the future you can have them powdercoated black.

18" Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 Wheels & Goodyear Tires: eBay Motors (item 190409100248 end time Jul-24-10 06:14:06 PDT)

Waiting on 2019 GT500

2012 GT Vert Brembo - Stock-ish

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 406rwhp/522rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?

2007 GT-TSR/Stops/Turns/Custom Everything/3.4L Whipple Crusher/1000hp SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page