Installed my new 3300 stall converter - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

Installed my new 3300 stall converter

I finally installed my converter yesterday. Not a big deal with all the tools. You have to use an alingnment tool for the converter.You just align the plate to the converter with this special tool. That is really important. You have to fill the converter before you put it in , duh. Line up the converter with the ears on the yoke ,push in untill it is flush. You can check it buy doing this.If you can get your fingers behind the flex plate then you did it wrong. You push in and give a small twist. You have to pull the tranny mount,DS,and midpipe to get the trans out.
I got the rear end apart, and pulled my 3:73`s out.Man those are some tough gears , even if they whine, not a scratch on them. I will keep them for the future . I will set up Monday morning with all new 4:10 FRRP `S A gears and bearings .I will use the Ford spacers not shims. Then I will give it a long drive to break in the gears. It is great to have a friend who is the best tech in the state. He teaches me a lot, and is going to set up the gears. I will just try, and learn something there. I know how to dismantle , just not sure on the set up of the whole rear end. That is really the rocket science of the car if you ask me.

JLT CAI/BAMA tune,moto blue pullies,3:73`s,LPW girdle;Powerhouse DS,CHE safety loop,CHE LCA`S & Adjustable UCA,Kooks LT`S & O/R X Pipe,prothane MM`s,Steeda CMDP`S,Eibach springs,Tokico D specs,Polished TB(by Me),Steeda radiator support,Zex kit 100 shot. Taylor Relocation battery kit and cut off switch,PTC converter,Bogarts and Hosier QTP`S.
11:903 ET, 1.67 60`,111.897 MPH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010
GT Member
S197 Member

Nice job, I never had the nerve to try installing gears OR converter myself.

302 stroker, Saleen supercharger/supershaker,3.0 pulley,Comp 127300 with phaser limiters,60 lb. injectors,GT500 fuel pumps, JBA LT, JBA O/R Hpipe,Borla stingers,3:73 gears.
556/487
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
When you got a friend to show you the ropes ,it is not hard. Really he gets the credit. I am just learning. I could do it now, with the tools, and lift. So that is a good thing. I like like learning how this car works and that way I can work on it myself if need be. I have not ever enjoyed working on a car as much as this one.

JLT CAI/BAMA tune,moto blue pullies,3:73`s,LPW girdle;Powerhouse DS,CHE safety loop,CHE LCA`S & Adjustable UCA,Kooks LT`S & O/R X Pipe,prothane MM`s,Steeda CMDP`S,Eibach springs,Tokico D specs,Polished TB(by Me),Steeda radiator support,Zex kit 100 shot. Taylor Relocation battery kit and cut off switch,PTC converter,Bogarts and Hosier QTP`S.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010
07_427R

Nice write up!!! So who makes go stall converters for the automatic cars these days? I've installed two converters in past cars. a 3500 stall from Lentech auto's for my 88 LX and a 9.5" 4000 stall from Dynamic converters for my 70 GTX. Both were awesome so if what you installed works with your combo it should be awesome also.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010
PONY Member
S197 Member

I am looking to get a converter myself. Which one did you go with? Oh, and gears aren't that bad; I put my 4.10s in myself. You just have to know what you are doing and have the patience to set them up correctly.

-------------------------------------------
2006 Vista Blue "Mach 1", Auto, N/A
-------------------------------------------
Too much to list and nothing really that great. If interested check out my profile.
------------------------------------------------------------
Numbers are just that...numbers.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
i got up the nerve to install my own gears( motive 3.73), bought a press, and did it, on the floor. one long day, many frustrations, a little luck, 5k later no whine at all. but if i ever change it, i will most likely have someone else do it or upgrade to the 8,8 more than likely bkid, you are very lucky to have a buddy like that.... if i would have had the oversize tires i would have went 4.10 for sure, guess thats how it goes right?

05 V6 auto,
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Just be sure to do two complete heat/cool cycles on those new gears so you get the bearings heat treated. It will also help to harden the gear face under heat & pressure.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07_427R View Post
Nice write up!!! So who makes go stall converters for the automatic cars these days? I've installed two converters in past cars. a 3500 stall from Lentech auto's for my 88 LX and a 9.5" 4000 stall from Dynamic converters for my 70 GTX. Both were awesome so if what you installed works with your combo it should be awesome also.
PI,TCI ,LEVEL 10, and PTC. I went with the PTC because it was very inexpensive. I know you get what you pay for. Many are using it though and really like them. I think they are better than most of the inexpensive brands. Will follow up on that next week end when I go to the track. I really have not done more than one mod at a time. Really going to 4:10`s should not be that noticable though. So maybe it is like one mod. If I do not like it I will pull it and buy a PI multi-disk that is suppose to be the best. Like I said I know a few guys running this converter and love it.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon View Post
Just be sure to do two complete heat/cool cycles on those new gears so you get the bearings heat treated. It will also help to harden the gear face under heat & pressure.
I think you mentioned this before. Do I drive for 100 miles and let it cool for an hour then drive another 100 miles and cool? Is that wrong?

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amustangrocks View Post
bkid, you are very lucky to have a buddy like that.... if i would have had the oversize tires i would have went 4.10 for sure, guess thats how it goes right?
I really do know how lucky I AM . He really is the best tech at the dealership ,hands down. He goes to every class Ford has and works on a lot of mustangs. I think the 4:10`s will get my rear gear ratio back to where it needs to be for the 1/4 mile.

07_427R

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKid View Post
I went with the PTC because it was very inexpensive. I know you get what you pay for. Many are using it though and really like them. I think they are better than most of the inexpensive brands.
Back a few years ago when I was still doing mods and having fun restoring cars, PTC was one of the brands many of my fellow car builders/restorers were using and its reputation was very good. I think you will be pleased with it as long as they sent you a stall converter that matches your set-up. 3300 is very streetable and sure wakes up the car's launch. Have Fun!!
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
I think you mentioned this before. Do I drive for 100 miles and let it cool for an hour then drive another 100 miles and cool? Is that wrong?
No... 15 minutes and a complete cooldown and then 30 minutes and another complete cooldown. Don't exceed 65 mph during the heat cycles.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
No... 15 minutes and a complete cooldown and then 30 minutes and another complete cooldown. Don't exceed 65 mph during the heat cycles.
Is that all I need to do to break them in or do I need to do the 500 mile break in also?

Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Is that all I need to do to break them in or do I need to do the 500 mile break in also?
Others will say different but I always go easy for the first 500. No hard launches and keep the speeds to 65 or lower. You can change the fluid after 500 if you wish. I never did.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07_427R View Post
Back a few years ago when I was still doing mods and having fun restoring cars, PTC was one of the brands many of my fellow car builders/restorers were using and its reputation was very good. I think you will be pleased with it as long as they sent you a stall converter that matches your set-up. 3300 is very streetable and sure wakes up the car's launch. Have Fun!!
That is a great recommendation thanks ,I feel a bit better now about the purchase. The set up should be dead on with this stall.

Quote:
Others will say different but I always go easy for the first 500. No hard launches and keep the speeds to 65 or lower. You can change the fluid after 500 if you wish. I never did.
Yea the best techs and mechanics here agree on the 500 mark did`nt know about keeping it under 65 , thanks Stlwagon.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page