Is 93 Octane Gas with 10% Ethenol still 93 Octane? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010 Thread Starter
MACH I Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Is 93 Octane Gas with 10% Ethenol still 93 Octane?

I have always used SUNOCO 93 Octane Gas ( The Official Gas Of NASCAR) I have a 93 Octane Tune and the SUNOCO 93 has 10% Ethenol added to it, am I OK with My Tune or am I NOT getting the Octane I need for it?

2002 GT Premium Auto Mineral Grey. Pypes Violater Cat Back Exhaust.
2003 V6 Auto Oxford White, all original no Mods
SOLD 2007 V6 Premium Pony
FORD BUILT WITHOUT YOUR TAX DOLLARS
SAVE AMERICA STOP OBAMA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010
SHELBY GT 500 Member

It's 93. E-10 has been around for years. The octane rating on the pump has to be correct by law.
It's what I use with a 93 tune and no problems.

AFM Site Administrator
2006 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT Manual.
Alpine H/U with Infinity speakers.
Powerhouse CAI and Tune.
Previous Mustangs:
1978 2.8 L, 1979 5.0, 1982 5.0 "HO", 1986 5.0 GT

Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010 Thread Starter
MACH I Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcfrisch View Post
It's 93. E-10 has been around for years. The octane rating on the pump has to be correct by law.
It's what I use with a 93 tune and no problems.
Great! I feel better now, I thought I was losing out on Ocatne because of the 10% Ethenol and it was'nt giving My 93 Tune the Octane it needed. I Love SUNOCO Gas and have used it for years in all My Vehicles with No Problems ever so that's good news as I'd hate to have to use some other Gas.

SAVE AMERICA STOP OBAMA!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010
S197 Mustang Owner
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to hotshot
i use it in my supercharged car with no issues, as does everyone else. by federal reg there has to be a 10% blend. They are trying to pass a law to make cars younger then 2005 to take a 15% blend of ethanol cause their fuel systems can handle it. However older cars would still use 10% so there would be mass confusion at the pumps :kooky:

2007 Mustang GT Convertible Stage 0 E-Force #402 Supercharger, Brenspeed Tune (435/400), GT500 Fuel pump, Clutch Delete Option, Roush Front Fascia, Brembos, California Dream Hood, Qwitch latch flush mount hood pins, MRT Light Bar, J&M LCA's, BMR UCA, UPR catch can, 6000k, Pypes Bombs, Pypes X-pipe, Airbrushed Flame pieces under the hood, Clear corners, GT500 shocks , FRPP P-springs (rear), BMR Adj Panhard, E-Force engine covers
2012 Ford Focus SEL 5Dr with MyFordTouch, Auto-Park, 303A Package,

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1fordlover View Post
Great! I feel better now, I thought I was losing out on Ocatne because of the 10% Ethenol and it was'nt giving My 93 Tune the Octane it needed. I Love SUNOCO Gas and have used it for years in all My Vehicles with No Problems ever so that's good news as I'd hate to have to use some other Gas.
i just filled up yesterday and they had some new red stickers that says " 93 does not contain ethanol"...but no stickers on the other grades. i thought they had to label if it had it, but i guess not.

05 V6 auto,
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010 Thread Starter
MACH I Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amustangrocks View Post
i just filled up yesterday and they had some new red stickers that says " 93 does not contain ethanol"...but no stickers on the other grades. i thought they had to label if it had it, but i guess not.
You just answered My Question, I was gonna ask if they made a 93 Octane gas with No Ethenol or does all Gas nowadays have to have Ethenol in it. Wich Brand of 93 did you get that had No Ethenol in it? And is there a difference in 93 with vs 93 without Ethenol in Preformance? Im pretty sure ALL our Gar around here has Ethenol added to it but Im gonna look, plus I'd reall hate to quit using SUNOCO, it's been good to me

SAVE AMERICA STOP OBAMA!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010
GT Member

Our base gas station(and many others that I have seen) have a big sign out front that says something like "NO ETHENOL IN OUR FUELS!!!"

It's been a while since I have been back to the states, but the general idea of the whole thing is the gas on base has 0% ethenol in it.

2014 Mustang GT/CS - Coupe
Sterling Gray
Manual Trans
Glass Roof
Navigation
Comfort
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010
SHELBY GT 500 Member

not sure, its a local station owned by a car enthusiast. i know the owner gets the 93 on a special order from ok, but not sure what refinery it comes from. i`ll try to find out. the only other station (1) in the city with high octane is a phillips 66, they have 94 octane and they also have a sticker on the premium grade, no ethanol.

so bottom line, i dont have any other choices, and its 25 miles one way to get it, so i cant compare anything. but both of those run real good, and i get great mileage from both. i dont know why this is such a dead zone for premium. there is plenty of 91 around.

05 V6 auto,
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010 Thread Starter
MACH I Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amustangrocks View Post
not sure, its a local station owned by a car enthusiast. i know the owner gets the 93 on a special order from ok, but not sure what refinery it comes from. i`ll try to find out. the only other station (1) in the city with high octane is a phillips 66, they have 94 octane and they also have a sticker on the premium grade, no ethanol.

so bottom line, i dont have any other choices, and its 25 miles one way to get it, so i cant compare anything. but both of those run real good, and i get great mileage from both. i dont know why this is such a dead zone for premium. there is plenty of 91 around.
So then Metenol in Gas is NOT mandated by Law? Im gonna have to look around as we have Tons of Gas Stations around here, there's 8 just in Town and All have 93 and Im sure the Mobile Station has 94 Octane.

SAVE AMERICA STOP OBAMA!
Rookie
S197 Member

Ethanol has more octane than gasoline. That may be reason why they add some Ethanol in the gasoline to increase octane levels and due to the phasing out of MTBE. E 10 is what they call it, and is ok to use in almost any car that is built from the 1980s to now.
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Airman View Post
Our base gas station(and many others that I have seen) have a big sign out front that says something like "NO ETHENOL IN OUR FUELS!!!"

It's been a while since I have been back to the states, but the general idea of the whole thing is the gas on base has 0% ethenol in it.
We had one station in my town that had the same sign. A couple of weeks ago he took it down. I stopped in and asked what happened. He said that they were required by law to only have gas with ethenol. Even the 93.

I think that octane is the RATE at which the fuel burns. How much HEAT it makes determins the BTUs. If the fuel burns at the 93 octane rate then it is 93. Unfortunatly the ethenol makes less heat, BTUs and is less efficient. You will get less mileage and ultimatly pay more for gas to go the same distance then with pure gas. We need to come up with a letter to our Senators and Congress people to stop wasting our money making this stuff. It takes more energy to make a gallon of ethenol than it gives. Dumb.....GA

05GT, 09 GT500 Drivetrain, 2.6 pulley, JLT intake, 18x9.5 GT500 wheels, 14" Brembos, 2014 rear brakes, 14 cooling fan, Cortex racing Koni Coilovers, Cortex Watts Link BMR:K-Member, Tube rad support, adj upper third link, rear relo brackets,JBA long tubes and catted mid pipe, Stillen adj front & rear sway bars, Bump steer kit, Steeda shifter, Spydershaft Aluminum DS.
John Lund tune, 568 rwhp, 560 tq.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page