Last Ride, Early but Time for Bed. - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scupking View Post
No worse then someone that DDs there car in the cold winter months.
Oh absolutely. When used daily, there is still a good amount of oil throughout the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06Roadstarman View Post
Increased exponentially? From wear you can't measure to something you still can't measure from start to start? Regular starts are preferred to leaving your car down for months at a time. Starting once a week is "probably" the worst thing you can do???? As compared to what? Turning it over once a week and running it WILL insure that the top end keeps some oil in it and also helps keep your seals in good condition. Letting it sit for long periods of time (months to years) almost always causes seal/gasket failures. At the other end of the spectrum, are you advocating starting it daily? That is not necessary to keep the engine from becoming "dry". I grew up around a man who kept and/or restored classic Fords (T-birds and Mustangs) and he started his cars up ONCE PER WEEK religiously and never had an issue with any of them.
Would you agree that most engine wear occurs at start up?. A week of sitting idle makes for a lot of oil sitting in the pan.
There is no question running an engine will circulate oil, eventually.
Until the oil is circulated properly, there is alot of bare metal contact going on, the strange noises and smells eminating from the car for those initial moments would confirm that.
Why would you do this repeatedly?
I would much rather go through that only once following the storage period.
A safer initial start up, with far less consequence would be to prime the oil pumping system with the starter only (fuel pump disabled) to build up adequate pressure and oil circulation prior to a high rpm dry start.
Just my humble opinion

2007 Torch Red Premium Pony
FRPP GTB exhaust system
Ford Performance M-2300-D
2014 GT 18" Bullitt

Last edited by EagleAutosports; 10-31-2010 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Merged 2 posts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member
S197 Member

I hate to say it but, I drive my poor old sixer all year round and trust me, we get winter up here. At least I have a set of winter rims so my stocks don't get too eaten up.

Sea Biscuit
- 2008 Mustang Pony Package
- Torch Red
- 13.877 @ 91.59 (with open diff)

Modifications:
- X Charger Hi-Po Plus #003
- FRPP X pipe
- Pypes Bombs axle backs
Apprentice

Quote:
As for the topic of this thread.....I HATE FRIGGIN WINTER AND LAKE EFFECT SNOW!

I get my daughter out of high school (3.5 more years) and I am gonna try like hell to get back down south......middle/east Tennessee is the goal. Meanwhile, my car usually goes into hibernation by mid November then comes out in mid April.

Dec. 1st. I take insurance off every year and mid April back in service also. I seal my garage in winter to keep the cold out so no startups till spring. It was always my goal to get out of this region when I retire also. Well, I took early retirement 4 weeks ago and have no plans to leave right now. Things change, a lifetime of friends and contacts, and kids and grandkids you hate to leave. At least now I won't have to get out in the winter if I don't want to. Worked outside construction all my life, now I can watch the lake effect snow from my livingroom and deal with it at my leasure.

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010 Thread Starter
MACH I Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
As for the topic of this thread.....I HATE FRIGGIN WINTER AND LAKE EFFECT SNOW!

I get my daughter out of high school (3.5 more years) and I am gonna try like hell to get back down south......middle/east Tennessee is the goal. Meanwhile, my car usually goes into hibernation by mid November then comes out in mid April.
I tried living down South back in the early 80's, Fla. HATED it and the South, (Nothing Against Southerners) Sure I like the Heat, but comon most people there are INSIDE all day with the AC on and only come out in the evening when it cools off a little, everywhere you go it's AC! what kind of life is that, I like to enjoy the Outdoors, not the inside of My House all the frigin time!
And I like to feel the Breeze in My Stang with the Windows down here Up North, Not a Heat Wave of Blazin Heat comming in the Windows, so you have to drive with the windows up and the AC on.
I have No Regrets living in the Worst Part of the Country For Lake Effect Snow. We get a Nice Spring when everything starts to grow, nice Summers with average temps in the 70's to 80's, a Great Fall and Winter. When we get sick of the Heat Winter Comes, when we get sick of Winter Summer Comes so we get a break from each of them. But to live in the Heat all the time, you can have it. Sure I Love the Summer and Heat here, but it does go away, thank God as I could'nt Imagine a Winter and Hunting Season with No Snow, or what's Christmas (sorry if I offended any Muslims) without snow, you need SNOW for Christmas!
The South is a Nice Place to Visit but you can have the 365 Days of Heat!

2002 GT Premium Auto Mineral Grey. Pypes Violater Cat Back Exhaust.
2003 V6 Auto Oxford White, all original no Mods
SOLD 2007 V6 Premium Pony
FORD BUILT WITHOUT YOUR TAX DOLLARS
SAVE AMERICA STOP OBAMA!
Rookie

I drive mine everyday, wind rain or shine. No choice because I just finished up college and can't afford another car. Last winter I actually drove it a couple times during Level 2 snow emergencies.

Not quite like my old truck was, but I made it home.

MattyG1985
2006 v6 Silver Pony Package

View My Photos here.

mustang.car-profile.com/profile2.php?carfile=mattyg&pid=uploads/871mattyg1.jpg
Rookie

Yeah, if you regularly get over 6 inches of snow from the lake effect, might as well store the car. With snow tires 6 inches of snow is doable.

As for cold starts, daily starts aren't bad on the car with synthetic oil; I have amsoil and it started right up. considering a weekly start up is firing it up seven times less often than daily, even if there is a little more wear it is nothing to worry about. I would start it up just to make sure the battery gets recharged a bit.

'07 White GT Daily Driver
Koni's, several suspension bushings, intake & tune
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyg1985 View Post
I drive mine everyday, wind rain or shine. No choice because I just finished up college and can't afford another car. Last winter I actually drove it a couple times during Level 2 snow emergencies.

Not quite like my old truck was, but I made it home.

I drive mine all year too. Very suprized at how well it handles in the snow. I've had front wheel drive cars that have been alot worse than this thing. All I do is drop the tune down and try to wash the salt off asap...seems to be working so far.....

2007 V6 Auto..BBK Cai...Pypes Cut and Clamp X-Pipe to Dual FRPP GTA's... 87 Bama Performance..Ebay Shorties...2011 18" stock GT Rims
PONY Member

no way can you start a car in garage and get up to normal operating types.
MACH I Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbailor View Post
I drive mine all year too. Very suprized at how well it handles in the snow. I've had front wheel drive cars that have been alot worse than this thing. All I do is drop the tune down and try to wash the salt off asap...seems to be working so far.....
What kind of tires do you run in the winter?

XCharger HiPo 2.8, JBA shorty headers, Zabteck ported & polished TB, Mac ProChamber, Flowmaster American Thunders, GT500 shocks/struts/strut mounts, GT500 front LCA's, Shaftmasters 4" aluminum d/s
Apprentice

Im sorry i cant let my mustang go, ill drive it whenever, but i have a 4x4 just incase snow gets too bad

2005 Mustang Gt, K&N cold air intake, Flowmasters, SCT Livewire, and black Cobra wheels
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010 Thread Starter
MACH I Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Well it's offical, I jusr got Home from Topping off the Gas Tank in My Stang, I still needed about 1/8 Tank to fill er up. Now she's asleep in My Garage. 11/1/10 has to be the latest I ever got to drive her since I bought her.
My 4X4 FORD F150 has the Oil Changed, New Battery, New Exhaust and Greased, it's ready to take on our NY Winter. It's in the 30's out now with temps going into the 20's tonight with Snow by the weekend.

2002 GT Premium Auto Mineral Grey. Pypes Violater Cat Back Exhaust.
2003 V6 Auto Oxford White, all original no Mods
SOLD 2007 V6 Premium Pony
FORD BUILT WITHOUT YOUR TAX DOLLARS
SAVE AMERICA STOP OBAMA!
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05mystang View Post
What kind of tires do you run in the winter?
Ive been running Goodyear fuel max year round as I still have my stock rims....work rather well in the snow for me...but as far as saving any gas though.. meh...doubt it.

2007 V6 Auto..BBK Cai...Pypes Cut and Clamp X-Pipe to Dual FRPP GTA's... 87 Bama Performance..Ebay Shorties...2011 18" stock GT Rims
PONY Member
S197 Member

That's why I love San Diego ... cruisin' all year long

Peace....The MadMan :smoke:
Current: 2008 Tjaarda 350T
K&N CAI - Eibach Springs|Baer 14 Zinc Coated, Slotted & Drilled Rotors|6-Piston Front Calipers|GT Legends with Nitto NT-555 255/35ZR20 Front and 275/35ZR20 Rear|Custom side exhaust|Molded Front Fascia|Hood|Carbon Fiber Rocker Panels|Lower Side Scoops|Rear Fascia|4 Ion Crystal Fog Lamps|2.5 PIAA Extreme White Driving Lights
Sold: 2006 Premium Tung Grey GT - 5 speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page