Cool muffler tips! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Cool muffler tips!

And I mean cool... literally!
I just found it interesting that since I removed my catalytic converters, even after driving for 30 minutes, my muffler and exhaust tips felt just slightly warm to even cold at the tips. I mean, I can lay my hands on them as long as I want and they don't get hot at all. Wow it's amazing how much heat those cats produce.

Brenspeed wasn't kidding when they told me that my full 3 inch catless exhaust would help the engine run cooler.

I just hope I don't get too much condensation in there.
Also noticed that the tips lost some of it's shine since I removed the cats.
Another thing... I know mufflers sound louder when thery're cold, or maybe it's just the engine that makes more noise when it's cold? Oh well... just thought I'd share this.

2007 GT Convertible •5 spd •450 rwhp 445 rwtq
Saleen Supercharged •C&L Racer CAI •Brenspeed Custom Dyno Tuned •3.73 FRPP •MGW Shifter •CHE K brace & torque limiters •Kooks 1 3/4" LT Headers 3" collectors 3" off road x-pipe •3" Magnaflow Magnapacks •18" FR500 Wheels •275 Rear Tires •GT500 Fuel Pump •Steeda Sports Springs •GT500 shocks struts front sway bar •Steeda LCA & pan hard bar •Slotted/Drilled Rotors •more...
Stock exterior for effect! ░▒▓█
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011
PONY Member
S197 Member

Interesting find. I wonder what would cause this?

And I think its the mufflers that make more noise when they are cold. My single flowmaster used to pop when it was cold. Since I went dual it doesn't pop anymore (I actually really miss that noise).

2005 Ford mustang V6.
K&N CAI.
SCT Tuner.

18 years old. 0 accidents. 1 ticket.
The ticket was for going 27 MPH in a 25 can you believe that garbage!
I stuck it to the Man and the Man stuck it right back to me.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011
MACH I Member
S197 Member

I think the exhaust is louder when the engine is cold because it is running at a higher rpm until it warms up. It also may be running richer. Mine does the same but then quiets down to a nice deep rumble once warm.

But, do the mufflers sound louder simply as a result of removing the cats?

As for the cats...don't they need to be hot to serve their purpose? Would stand to reason some of that heat would then pass back to the exhaust tipe. Remove the source of the heat and tips are cooler.

06 GT Premium, Windveil Blue, Auto, IUP
Mods: Midwest Auto Gear Engine Plenum Cover, Sequential Taillights, Demolet Tunable CAI & SCT Tune, CDC Quarter Window Louvers, Billett Aluminum Interior Items, 8" Shorty Antenna, Powder Coated Valve Covers, Braided Hoses, Flowmaster AT, California Dreamin' Hood, CDC Classic Chin Spoiler, Honeycomb Rear Decklid Blackout Panel, 35% Window Tints, SHR Lower Grill Inserts

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
I think the exhaust is louder when the engine is cold because it is running at a higher rpm until it warms up. It also may be running richer. Mine does the same but then quiets down to a nice deep rumble once warm.

But, do the mufflers sound louder simply as a result of removing the cats?

As for the cats...don't they need to be hot to serve their purpose? Would stand to reason some of that heat would then pass back to the exhaust tipe. Remove the source of the heat and tips are cooler.
I was talking about even after it idles back down from cold startup. Car sounds a lot louder until it reaches normal operating temperature. I think it's because all the mechanical parts tighten up when they expand from heat. That includes the exaust clamps and muffler packing material.

Yes, cats need to be hot to work. That heat travels back to the engine and adds to engine temp.

2007 GT Convertible •5 spd •450 rwhp 445 rwtq
Saleen Supercharged •C&L Racer CAI •Brenspeed Custom Dyno Tuned •3.73 FRPP •MGW Shifter •CHE K brace & torque limiters •Kooks 1 3/4" LT Headers 3" collectors 3" off road x-pipe •3" Magnaflow Magnapacks •18" FR500 Wheels •275 Rear Tires •GT500 Fuel Pump •Steeda Sports Springs •GT500 shocks struts front sway bar •Steeda LCA & pan hard bar •Slotted/Drilled Rotors •more...
Stock exterior for effect! ░▒▓█
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page