Help with mustang winter wheels - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Help with mustang winter wheels

Hi All,

Last year I purchased some steel rims from a reputable wheel dealer for my 05 V6 to cut down on the expense of doing tire swaps and to keep my aluminums looking descent. I changed the front brake pads and rotors, now my wheels are rubbing the caliper to the point that the wheel doesn't turn. A corner of the caliper also gets caught in one of the outer holes in the steel rim. However, I put my OEM aluminums on, they clear fine. The oems are 16X7, the steels are 16X6.5, but I was told that shouldn't make a difference. I took my car to a brake shop to inspect my brake job to see if I messed up. They compared my old rotor, my new rotor, and even ordered new pads and rotors from a different dealer for verification and everything measured OEM. I called the place where I bought the steels and he accused me of putting an after market system on. The steels worked fine last year, but I had about 25-30K wear on the pads. Any thoughts out there?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
2005 V6 "Snow-Stang". Mad Max rims, a lil' weight in trunk, and some good sneakers....best car I've had in the snow yet!
'73 with a 429 in the works...look for it on the road early 2025.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

I guess I should have placed under the tech forum...my mistake.

2005 V6 "Snow-Stang". Mad Max rims, a lil' weight in trunk, and some good sneakers....best car I've had in the snow yet!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011
Apprentice

well its not all rim size either its offset but the center part of your caliber that floats with pad depth more than likely is pushed out further (than wat your pads were when you first bought the wheels) due to thickness of new pads. you migt have only had a 1/16th to an 1/8th clearance last year and new pads would deffinatly be the cause of this

07 GT P1SC procharger corsa axle-back sct tuner

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

I tried to tell them that, put he wouldn't listen. When I pulled my old pads off, they were really thin, but he argued that changing the pads should have not affected any thing, but am I crazy or do both sides of the caliper move in to compensate for bad wear on a floating system? The wheel salesman wants me to come in for a test fit on a different wheel, which is 26 dollars more than my originals which he wants me to eat, and possibly a mount and balance charge as well. Now I'm into it for another 200 smacks, kind of defeated the purpose of getting steels in the first place, thats about four tire remounts at my local shop if I kept OEM.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011
Apprentice

you are right and do you have an old pad to show him how when the pad wears the floating part moves inward by how much the pad is wore off? your also right about the money but if you plan on using them every year then well the money is spent for the future

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

oh yeah, I kept an old pad....he still won't listen to me....still wants me to come in and fit another wheel...and best part is, if it doesnt work, I still have to pay for the re-mount. I'm tempted to pick up some 5/16 spacers at autozone.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011
S197 Mustang Owner
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to hotshot
sounds like he is trying to stick it to you tbh. He just wants you to spend more money with him

2007 Mustang GT Convertible Stage 0 E-Force #402 Supercharger, Brenspeed Tune (435/400), GT500 Fuel pump, Clutch Delete Option, Roush Front Fascia, Brembos, California Dream Hood, Qwitch latch flush mount hood pins, MRT Light Bar, J&M LCA's, BMR UCA, UPR catch can, 6000k, Pypes Bombs, Pypes X-pipe, Airbrushed Flame pieces under the hood, Clear corners, GT500 shocks , FRPP P-springs (rear), BMR Adj Panhard, E-Force engine covers
2012 Ford Focus SEL 5Dr with MyFordTouch, Auto-Park, 303A Package,

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

You nailed it....and I'm not going to give him the satisfaction....i got the 'ol "well they worked last year" speech....now about those spacers, are those things safe?...plenty o' thread on the stud when the steelies are on.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011
Apprentice

they are safe but be sure to check the lugs every so many miles

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Bought some 5/16 spacers, tons of thread, clearance from caliper is about 5/16 as well. Thanks fellas for all your help, I'm going to tell Mayor McCheese at the wheel shop to pound sand.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

That was a stupid response on my part, I meant that the clearance from the caliper is about 1/4 now...duh.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page