post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
Sharad, great post...thx!
No problem. Hope it helped!

Like us at Facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
Ask me about the discount on UPR Products for AFM members!
Rookie

2005 Mustang V6
Had same water problem, seemed like gallons of water pouring out from under dashboard (girlfriend said my car was peeing on her).
I had it fixed for $25 (compressed air from underneath into the drains), but now interior electronics are acting up.
While driving the voltage fluctuated from mid to high, door lock, air conditioning, lights, and windows all had no power.
I am assuming it is a problem with water damage to BCM, SJB, or wires by passenger side.
The problem is intermittent, but scary as hell.
I seen some of the TSBs on this and seems like I'm actually lucky.

Is it possible for a person with little mechanical and electrical experience to troubleshoot this?
If not, how much should it cost to check wires, BCM, SJB and to replace them if need be?

Thanks for any help.

MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
The connections on those wires are still wet. Take off the kick plate on the passenger side, roll back the carpet and also check that and the matting beneath it. You will need to pop up part of the door sill cover to get the kick plate off. The kick plate and door sill are just held buy clips that will give with some gentle steady force.

Dry off wires and anything else with a towel. You might wanna hit them with a hair dryer then. If you have a hot sunny day like we're getting here, leave the panel off and the carpet up to air out.

08 GT 5spd
Spectra CAI, Comp Cam Detroit Rockers, Kooks headers w/catted H-pipe, Revolution Automotive dyno tuned, FB430 race mufflers, 3.55s, JLT catch can, BMR Lca's and relo brackets. Prothane motor mounts and sway bar bushings.
20% tint, smoked markers and tail lights w/sequentials. Clear front signal covers, series 3 chin spoiler.
PONY Member

Believe it or not - this thread helped me fix a fridge/freezer problem. The unit was an upper fridge/lower freezer and occasionally the freezer would have a bunch of ice built up in the back and on the bottom which required unloading the freezer and melting the ice with a hairdryer. The problem was the defrost drain under the freezer coils. Based on the defrost timer, the freezer coils would be heated and this would melt the ice and the water should have drained out this little drain hole into a pan by the compressor. I pulled the fridge out to see where the drain was going, I saw a smaller version of that rubber drain with the pinched off discharge grommet which restricted the draining of water because of a bit of stuff in it. I pulled this little rubber grommet of and haven't had the issue since.
Thanks for the pics. Oh yeah - I checked the Mustang as well and thankfully no debris in the grommet.
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindStang View Post
Believe it or not - this thread helped me fix a fridge/freezer problem. The unit was an upper fridge/lower freezer and occasionally the freezer would have a bunch of ice built up in the back and on the bottom which required unloading the freezer and melting the ice with a hairdryer. The problem was the defrost drain under the freezer coils. Based on the defrost timer, the freezer coils would be heated and this would melt the ice and the water should have drained out this little drain hole into a pan by the compressor. I pulled the fridge out to see where the drain was going, I saw a smaller version of that rubber drain with the pinched off discharge grommet which restricted the draining of water because of a bit of stuff in it. I pulled this little rubber grommet of and haven't had the issue since.
Thanks for the pics. Oh yeah - I checked the Mustang as well and thankfully no debris in the grommet.
Excellent!

Like us at Facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
Ask me about the discount on UPR Products for AFM members!
Rookie

Just a add as this part # was not easily available by my googling for the common water topics

the retainer clips that go along the cowl metal or I guess 2nd firewall leak also they have a foam backer to them they were the major leak point for my 2005 I just got, a couple were missing from previous owner body work. I took all the foam backers off and use some good weather strip adhesive to make them permenantly in place. Also check the seems in the firewall metal the original adhesive was failing

Ford Part # for clip 9r3z-63517c58-A

the new ones had better foam backer but imo use adhesive

also to get cowl panel off the wipers were seriously stuck in place had to get a battery terminal puller to get loose.

I had to use puller leave in place, lube with penetrating oil after puller was left in place about to break from pressure and wiggle wiper blade up and down at same time to make them pop loose.
Lisle 54150 I got a stronger one on ebay after fact, they may make it eaiser if happens again(I like tools) the lisle did break slightly on first use but did job and is cheap
PONY Member

on those cowl plugs, i kept having issues, finally just left them both out, that was 3 yrs ago now, checked several times since, not found a single bit of debris...with the rubber 'lip' around the hole, mine were clogging in as little as 3 months from these big darn pines we have along the drive- without the lip of that plug, they rinse themselves out- also, if you have buildup in the cowl drains, suggest looking at bottom of fenders with door open- leaves build up back under there too.

the other areas on mine that were water problems:

heres a pic of the cheep cowl plugs- there are ten of them

removing the drivers side requires pulling the wiper arms- ive got a 'glass hood, kinda thick, not a lot of room for a puller- used my imperial eastman flaring tool, *just* fit in there-
heres what the factory 'seals' look like- all ten were loose, flared out at the center allowing water in...threw them away.

heres a few of them glued in- used 'automotive goop' clear adhesive /sealant- been sold on this stuff for a long time, since 20 yrs ago in the rc airplane/heli hobby... dries fast, kinda rubbery, sticks to about anything- its real 'stringy' though, gotta be careful...it flows out as it dries, great stuff

heres the other spot that failed on my 06- the 'gaskets' around the window frame were oozing around the mirrors- the plastic just pops off, and the 'gasket was trashed on both sides
I got some closed cell self adhesive 1/4" x 1/8 weatherstrip and replaced it

this was a couple years ago, havent had any issues since- and due to to many cars, this poor thing sits out every day all year, even buried in snow hibernating for the winter(still hasnt seen salt)
PONY Member

hmm...no pics allowed?
heres a link to pics-
https://www.flickr.com/photos/908224...57665160855723

06 gt stick vista blue - love this car!
07 pony auto vista blue (wifes)
09 gt stick vista blue (ordered day after the '10 reveal- 4 miles/undriven still)
Rookie

Thanks so much for this!
PONY Member

thanks Sharad! You fixed my car :-)

It was pouring rain all of last tuesday in Montreal and i found a puddle on passenger side floor yesterday morning. Cleaned up the mess on my way to work and search the forums for a quick fix. Found your post and fixed my issue.... there was lot of water being held by all the crap clogging the drain.

Canadian 2012 V6, MT, Perf.White Pony Package (3.31 gears). Koni Sport Shocks & Struts. Steeda Sport Springs w/HD Mounts, Route 66 SpeedShop 55D rear spring kit. Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace. BMR Adj PHB. BFG G-Force Sport Comp2. Pioneer TS-D6802R Front SPeakers, Clarion 80W/Ch Amp. JL Audio 8 Inch Sub And 175W Amp. GT500 Steering Wheel. 2012+ Tilting Headrests
Rookie

What about driver's side?

Hello all, I have this issue... but on the DRIVER'S side. Car was merely parked during a torrential downpour, and I found the carpets absolutely soaked all the way to the back seat, but driver's side only. Is this just a matter of clearing the drain on the driver's side, or is there another issue that someone can point me in the right direction towards?

(The car just came into my possession through an estate... 2010 V6. Rusting driver's side seat frame says this has been going on a long time.)

jpb
Rookie

Garage
I discovered a leak inside my car too. I have a 2014 v6 with 147xx miles.

My problem is on the passenger side but I did feel a few drops on my leg from the driver side as well. I looked under my driver side dash and I see some rust. The steering wheel shaft has some rust, a few bolts holding the pedals in place to the firewall seem to have some rust rights around the washers. Looks like its been leaking for a while.

It was very noticeable on the passenger side. So I checked the drain plug in the cabin air filter area, no issue (they are not clogged), I checked the clips holding the cowl in place under the windshield and they look like they are sealed up good, didn't look like anything would leak past them.

I am thinking it's the passenger side door seal and my windshield? IDK but it's annoying me a lot because I just don't wanna get jerked around by the dealership and or have mold issues. I would really hate to sue someone! I have five months left of my factory warranty since I am not gonna hit the 36000 miles, so the 3 years is gonna get me, but I bought extended bumper to bumper so I have to check and see if stuff like this will be covered under the extended warranty. The extended warranty is not through FORD.... but I digress.

I have an appointment at the end of this month, we shall see what happens. The guy at the dealership thinks it's my drain plugs by the cabin air filter area, I think he is wrong.

Oh I forgot, I put some tape on my passenger side door molding where the plastic trim meets the body (on top)... it seems to have slowed the leak. I live in Oregon so it's like living in a swimming pool.. I feel like Patrick from sponge bob square pants.
Rookie

Excellent tutorial Sharad...just checked my new to me 2005...Cabin Filter almost as dirty as OP's (also will change when I can pick a new one up later), Drain cup was half filled with leaves and debris...this made it very easy and satisfying to do myself...

Thanks,

Bill
Rookie

2005 4.0
Okay Iíve done all of this twice now and I still have a huge leak somewhere causing both drivers and passenger side floor to be soaking wet!! I am at a loss what to do I have heath issues and canít risk the mold to start to grow I have checked window seals they good, itís so bad that the moisture cause the seats to be damp even after we put out a couple of the moisture removal containers in it and then parked it a the parking garage.

Please if anyone can help please do or I will have to sell it for cheap and that breaks my heart.

Kimzsmilin
2005 Mustang Premium 4.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page