Ford Mustang Forum banner

2008 GT500 Clone - 400 HP Goal

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  DoubleNN 
#1 ·
Hey Everyone, right now I have a 2008 GT GT500 Clone and it looks and sounds extremely intimidating, but I need more kick under the hood to match the aesthetic ferocity. So my goal right now is 400 straight hp and around the same torque to follow, and I still need decent mpg and streetability because its a daily driver. I was wondering if i could get some advice and/or suggestions on the most cost effective and balanced way to do this?

The car has a K&N Intake, an off-road H-pipe with the stock axle-back mufflers and tips, and 3.55 Gears. The engine is bone stock.

#4 ·
The Gt500 supercharger doesnt fit on a 4.6, and a s/c is out of the question for me anyway. I need about 400 hp from engine mods and bolt ons alone. Any Ideas?

And I was thinking about new gears too, Ive read all the forums on here and it seems to me 3.90s would be perfect because ill keep some mpg and it will be a significant change from the 3.55's.

#9 ·
Are you talking 400rwhp or 400 flywheel? For 400 flywheel you could do cylinder heads, long tubes, cams. For 400 rwhp a blower or nitrous is your best bet. Vortech has a nonintercooled kit for under $4000 and Mangacharger has an intercooled kit for about the same. The Eforce, Kenne bell and Saleen kits are all closer to $6K for the complete kits.
As others have mentioned Sqidd has made a manifold to let you use any takeoff GT500 blower on the 4.6. The total price of the kit is going to be dependent on the price you get the takeoff stuff for. A good shopper can find alot of this stuff cheap if you really search hard.
You said a supercharger is outta the question because of budget? To make 400 hp without a power adder will be more expensive and make less power. Cylinder heads $1300-2500, cams 600-800. Long tubes 800-1300. Then it all must be installed. An average do it yourselfer could bolt on a blower. But I dont see that same person putting in heads and cams.
Good Luck.

#11 ·
Cold air intake tuner hands down single best if your not going to supercharge.

Charge motion delete plates

under drive pullies

These above are all fairly proven mods if your not going F/I.

Off road X - pipe

headers, and only the long tubes make power and will work with supercharged applications.

Nitrous can also be a nice way of getting a boost without all the cash but you have to keep the bottle full and happy.

#12 · (Edited)
To get to 400 flywheel hp you will need at minimum:
Ported heads
Cams
Longtubes
Cold Air intake
Delete plates

The above post lists good starter mods that will be needed for 400hp with no power adder. But plan well. Some CAIs will not work with blowers while others may work with some. The pulleys will
be wasted with a blower. And the delete plates will be wasted with a positive displacement blower.
This package is a decent price and will get you to 400NA hp with some longtubes and a CAI.
Ford Racing 2005-2010 Mustang GT 400HP+ Top End Power Package -- M-FR4-S197

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.