Driving with your fog lights on - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOMDStang View Post
Wow, that's some bull. How can that be a fine? They're still angled towards the ground, and they're not nearly as bright as actual highbeams. Some cops just have nothing better to do...
The cop said that the law treats them the same as high beams, they have to be turned off when somebody's coming. I think that's crap because mine are dimmer than my regular lights! Oh yeah and this was at 2:30am to make it funnier.

2006 V6 Screamin' Yellow Mustang - 5 Speed Manual - Pony Package

12" Dual Vinyl Stripes with 1/4" accents
Flowmaster 40 muffler
JLT CAI + SCT X3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurebababooey View Post
The cop said that the law treats them the same as high beams, they have to be turned off when somebody's coming. I think that's crap because mine are dimmer than my regular lights! Oh yeah and this was at 2:30am to make it funnier.
I would have challenged that in a heartbeat if it had actually been more than a warning. A quick google search of various state statutes shows that while there is much regulation concerning the orientation of the lights (i.e. they must be angled so that at such-and-such distance the beam can only extend so far from the side of your car or the main beam can only extend a certain distance to the front of your car), there is very little (nothing that I found, but I didn't check all 50 states) equating them with highbeams in that they must be dimmed for oncoming traffic.

2005 Sport-Utility Mustang Convertible
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
the officer is wrong on the dimming portion, but you are not supposed to use them unless visiblity is less than 1/2 mile......note portions in red.

that said, i still drive with mine on, and i dont give tickets for it either, as i just dont see a safety issue. thats called "discretion" and as Doc Holiday said "my hypocracy only goes so far"

Oklahoma Statutes Citationized
Title 47. Motor Vehicles
Chapter 12 - Equipment of Vehicles
Article Article 2 - Lamps and Lighting Devices
Section 12-203.1 - Number of Driving Lamps Required or Permitted
Cite as: O.S. , __ __

A. At all times specified in subsection B of Section 12-201 of this title, at least two lighted headlamps shall be displayed, one on each side at the front of every motor vehicle, except when such vehicle is parked subject to the regulations governing lights on parked vehicles, as provided in Section 12-214 of this title.
B. Whenever a motor vehicle equipped with headlamps as herein required is also equipped with any auxiliary driving lamps or a spot lamp or any other lamp on the front thereof projecting a beam of intensity greater than three hundred (300) candlepower, not more than a total of four of any such lamps on the front of a vehicle shall be lighted at any one time when upon a highway.
C. The driver of any vehicle shall comply with the provisions of Section 12-217 of this title regarding the use of alternate headlamp equipment.

Oklahoma Statutes Citationized
Title 47. Motor Vehicles
Chapter 12 - Equipment of Vehicles
Article Article 2 - Lamps and Lighting Devices
Section 12-217 - Spot Lamps, Fog Lamps, and Auxiliary Lamps
Cite as: O.S. , __ __

A. As used in this article:
1. "Auxiliary driving lamp" means a lamp mounted to provide illumination to the front of a motor vehicle;
2. "Daytime running lamp" means a lamp mounted to provide illumination to the front of a motor vehicle that will assist to identify its presence to other vehicles and pedestrians at times other than those specified in subsection B of Section 12-201 of this title;
3. "Front fog lamp" means a lamp mounted to provide illumination to the front of a motor vehicle during conditions of rain, snow, fog, dust, or other atmospheric disturbances;
4. "Rear fog lamp" means a lamp mounted to provide illumination to the rear of a motor vehicle during conditions of rain, snow, fog, dust, or other atmospheric disturbances;
5. "Off-road lamp" means any lamp designed and manufactured solely for off-road use; and
6. "Spot lamp" means a movable lamp which emits a brilliant light with a focused beam for examining objects, street address numbers, and other things alongside the road.
B. Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two spot lamps which shall not be used in substitution of headlamps.
C. The operator of any motor vehicle:
1. Which has in use a spot lamp shall, upon the approach of another vehicle from any direction within one thousand (1,000) feet, immediately turn said spot lamp off;
2. Shall not use or turn on a spot lamp when approaching or following another motor vehicle within one thousand (1,000) feet; and
3. Shall not use or turn on a spot lamp to cause a vehicle to yield right-of-way or stop.
The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to operators of authorized emergency vehicles.
D. 1. A motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two front fog lamps or two rear fog lamps which shall only be used when visibility, as described in paragraphs 3 and 4 of subsection A of this section, is limited to one-half (1/2) mile or less.
2. Front fog lamps shall be mounted on the same level on opposite sides of the front of the vehicle at or below the level of the headlamps. Front fog lamps may be used with lower beam headlamps or switch controlled in conjunction with the headlamps and may be used, at the discretion of the driver, with either low or high beam headlamps. Front fog lamps shall not be used in substitution of headlamps, when headlamps are required.
E. A motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two auxiliary driving lamps mounted at a height of more than forty-two (42) inches from the ground. The auxiliary driving lamps may be used with lower beam headlamps or switch controlled in conjunction with the headlamps and may be used, at the discretion of the driver, with either low or high beam headlamps.
F. Every fog lamp or auxiliary driving lamp used upon a motor vehicle shall be so adjusted and aimed that no part of the high intensity portion of the beam shall, at a distance of twenty-five (25) feet, rise above the horizontal plane passing through the center of the lamp.

2006 Tungsten GT 5 speed -Hurst | C & L CAI, | Predator running 91 torque tune (91 race for track)-BAMA. | MAC Boomtubes | FRPP 4.10s|Kaenan 3in cowl hood.

2006 F150 Supercrew Lariat 4x4 Black- 5.4, Hellbent Steel 2.5 level with 35x12.5x20 toyo m/ts on blk XD Hoss wheels, roll up tonneau, Gotts CAI, predator 91 performance tune.

Wifes Ride: 2013 Explorer XLT 2.0 Ecoboost. Stock as stock can be, but hey... on the bright side... she has a turbo!

SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Wow, I see people driving around with their fog lights on all the time around here, what a source of untapped revenue for the police departments!

I think I will continue to use mine as daytime running lights and continue to not use them at night except when it is foggy

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

I use mine all the time and I drive a lot at night. Roads are well lit here but I use them for the looks and to stand out. I have passed several cops who have done nothing about it. The problem here is the trucks with their HIDs that even when they aren't using high beams are nearly blinding you. So I'm not really worried about being pulled over for using my fog lights.

2006 Mustang GT
post #36 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTNOS View Post
the officer is wrong on the dimming portion, but you are not supposed to use them unless visiblity is less than 1/2 mile......note portions in red.
Interesting...thanks for that. Gets back to my original point of living down an unlit highway too. If it's cloudy or the moon isn't out you'll be lucky to see more than a half mile down the road.

I can see not having them one while driving around town though, there's really no need for that.

2005 Sport-Utility Mustang Convertible
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOMDStang View Post
Interesting...thanks for that. Gets back to my original point of living down an unlit highway too. If it's cloudy or the moon isn't out you'll be lucky to see more than a half mile down the road.

I can see not having them one while driving around town though, there's really no need for that.
now thats just for OK, i dont know about maryland. also, i meant to add, that the officer who stopped him is just a little behind on his statutes. about 3 years ago the statute did say that you had to extinquish all aux, driving, fogs, etc. when meeting or when traveling within 200 ft behind another vehicle. they changed it, i think because so many vehicles have driving lights these days that are mounted under or in the bumper. so now you can run them anytime, anywhere, without dimming or extinquishing, not over 4 total including headlights. exception is the above on fogs and of course spotlights. and yes, some officers were and apparently still do use it as a means to stop people. i will say that when i used to train, back when running them through town was illegal, and i had a rookie who needed more practice in traffic stops, i would have him / her stop every one and give a verbal warning, as we could easily stop 10 to 15 per hour.

2006 Tungsten GT 5 speed -Hurst | C & L CAI, | Predator running 91 torque tune (91 race for track)-BAMA. | MAC Boomtubes | FRPP 4.10s|Kaenan 3in cowl hood.

2006 F150 Supercrew Lariat 4x4 Black- 5.4, Hellbent Steel 2.5 level with 35x12.5x20 toyo m/ts on blk XD Hoss wheels, roll up tonneau, Gotts CAI, predator 91 performance tune.

Wifes Ride: 2013 Explorer XLT 2.0 Ecoboost. Stock as stock can be, but hey... on the bright side... she has a turbo!
Apprentice

We run with the fogs on 24/7. Its much easier to be seen with the lights on during the day. We have a v6 pony package and the fogs helped some at night but of course they would turn off with the high beams.

When we changed the front bumper we changed the grille and fog lights to the GT ones (didn't mean to get a GT bumper, just worked out that way). Not only do we now have the bigger fogs but I have them wired so they are on with the high beams.

The GT fogs really do make a big difference on the 2 lane twisty road to the house, and also help on the dirt road. Without it, it harder to see things (read animals) off the side of the road so having them on with the high beams now is really nice.

We rarely ever get flashed. I have the fogs adjusted so they don't shoot any farther than the low beams and also low enough that what does go into the other lane doesn't blind oncoming drivers.

~Mark
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:

that said, i still drive with mine on, and i dont give tickets for it either, as i just dont see a safety issue. thats called "discretion" and as Doc Holiday said "my hypocracy only goes so far"
See that's what I don't get is I've only been given the warning from the Alva officer, and a verbal warning from an OHP officer in Drummond. I've never been stopped in Enid, OKC, or Tulsa. It's like NW Oklahoma just doesn't like fog lights haha

2006 V6 Screamin' Yellow Mustang - 5 Speed Manual - Pony Package

12" Dual Vinyl Stripes with 1/4" accents
Flowmaster 40 muffler
JLT CAI + SCT X3
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
See that's what I don't get is I've only been given the warning from the Alva officer, and a verbal warning from an OHP officer in Drummond. I've never been stopped in Enid, OKC, or Tulsa. It's like NW Oklahoma just doesn't like fog lights haha

ahh, they were both probably just trying to keep thier contact stats up. if they normally ticket for the fogs then they would have you, since they didnt ticket you, makes me think they were just using you for a contact. most agencies require X amount of contacts per shift. i know for sure OHP does.

MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
ahh, they were both probably just trying to keep thier contact stats up. if they normally ticket for the fogs then they would have you, since they didnt ticket you, makes me think they were just using you for a contact. most agencies require X amount of contacts per shift. i know for sure OHP does.
I guess there is a reason for that as a tool for general screening of x amount of the population at any given time but one has to question the utility an agency that is supposed to "protect and serve" and then puts policies in pace that for 95% of those contact stops, only serves to "Annoy and aggrivate"...which i would think...is counter productive..lol I suppose that other 5% makes it somewhat worth it though..

I use mine as day time running lights, some times in town where the roads are well lit i just run with them only (In Atlanta it seems like 1 out of 4 cars forget to even turn their lights on at night its so well lit...IDIOTS!). I wonder if i could be ticketed for just having the fogs on down town at night??

I never run them on the highway when its fully dark and i am driving steady behind another car (thats dickish and i hate it when mustangs do that). And ill run all 4 of course if its raining, foggy, or early in the am/late in the evening when people tend to be blinded by the sun on the horizon.

2011 Shelby GT 500: C&L CAI, Roush GT 500 Performance axlebacks, Steeda 2.65 Supercharger pulley with idler/belt tensioner, Ford SVT Custom Racing Tune, SVT package, Glass roof, Tech package
Gone: 2011 GT/CS Black
Gone: 2010 Sterling Gray GT, Track Pack
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allentown View Post
I guess there is a reason for that as a tool for general screening of x amount of the population at any given time but one has to question the utility an agency that is supposed to "protect and serve" and then puts policies in pace that for 95% of those contact stops, only serves to "Annoy and aggrivate"...which i would think...is counter productive..lol I suppose that other 5% makes it somewhat worth it though.
sadly, it is actually more of a tool for merit at many agencies. its a way for the admin to gauge whether or not you are doing your job. 90% of what we do is to satisfy the brass, and sometimes an equal percentage is counterproductive. unfortunately, pd's are ran like any other business, often with people in command who dont see the big picture. i have seen guys promoted simply off of their "merit" as if how many pieces of paper you turn in at the end of the day means you know what your doing or that you are good at it.

MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

A fine example of what happens when you try to legislate common sense behavior with rushed half-baked laws written by people NOT IN THE FIELD and then what you end up with instead is just................assanine and unfortunate.

How anyone can be FOR larger government and more laws on the books to regulate our day to day is simply BEYOND ME....seriously. That pool of people has to be of lesser intelligence..its the ONLY explanation.

2011 Shelby GT 500: C&L CAI, Roush GT 500 Performance axlebacks, Steeda 2.65 Supercharger pulley with idler/belt tensioner, Ford SVT Custom Racing Tune, SVT package, Glass roof, Tech package
Gone: 2011 GT/CS Black
Gone: 2010 Sterling Gray GT, Track Pack
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allentown View Post
A fine example of what happens when you try to legislate common sense behavior with rushed half-baked laws written by people NOT IN THE FIELD and then what you end up with instead is just................assanine and unfortunate.

How anyone can be FOR larger government and more laws on the books to regulate our day to day is simply BEYOND ME....seriously. That pool of people has to be of lesser intelligence..its the ONLY explanation.

or severely misguided. there are alot of people who live in a bubble.

PONY Member

This is even a better reason for me to get the Bullitt Grille!

2007 Silver GT, manual
3.55 Gears, Shaftmaster 3.5" aluminum drive shaft, Borla Stingers, Pacesetter ceramic Long Tube Headers, Pacesetter catted H pipe, Steeda UDPs, JLT CAI, MGW short throw shifter and Bama 93 Oct Street tune

2001 Laser Red GT, automatic (293RWHP, 310RWTQ) Gone but not forgotten.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page