Mixed Emotions- 3 Mods Installed Yesterday - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Question Mixed Emotions- 3 Mods Installed Yesterday

Well yesterday I got my SCT Tuner and my painted front bumper within two hours of one another so I decided to install it all right there considering I've done the bumper drill before and the CAI/Tuner was supposed to be cake.

I got my bumper going, and while waiting for the tint on the markers to dry I started on the CAI. This is where I got frustrated. I bought this JLT used from somebody on this forum who said they went to a supercharger, and they pretty much royally screwed me over. Think they were from. . . Georgia? Somewhere in the South.

These are my issues and hopefully people can help me out:

1.) I noticed that the heater hose hole looked like it had been bored out, and I wasn't completely sure but it looked like there was supposed to be a rubber grommet for a correct seal? I ended up using rubber washers for a better seal. Still wasn't that good

2.) My MAFS literally does not screw into the CAI. I made sure it was the right way, but the screw holes just do not line up and the sensor sits a lot farther off the mounting surface that it's supposed to and there's no directional arrows for flow as stated in the instructions. What's up? I ended having to go get some small screws to close the holes up and the MAFS it just sitting snugly in there Scary.. I know.

3. My last concern deals with the heater hose again. Are you supposed to reuse the stock plastic connecter that the hose fits snugly over or was there one in the kit that I didn't have? I just feel like it was protruding into the CAI and might inhibit airflow.

Anyway I jungle rigged the CAI, uploaded my 91 race, and got my painted GT bumper on, and I haven't tripped any codes from driving it around almost 50 miles last night pretty hard. It feels faster, it really does. But it just doesn't feel as fast as everyone talks about, and I wonder if anyone could shed some light on whether my CAI may be the culprit. Thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20120105101130.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	533.6 KB
ID:	146343   Click image for larger version

Name:	20120105101122.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	300.6 KB
ID:	146344   Click image for larger version

Name:	20120105101154.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	595.1 KB
ID:	146345  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012
Banned
4.6L Member

well how much do you think you could have gained? 20-30hp? It's all relative...what is fast to one person is nada to another...to me, it took a supercharger and 12psi to feel "a gain"

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012
GT Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Front bump cov looks good.
Yeah, rough estimate for gains w/ a JLT CAI/Tune are said to be around 22HP Enough of a notice to tell you have more than you did before. Maybe burn out alil easier, ect...

'05 Blk Prem V6 Roush Styled, X-Charged, & Highly Modified Sold
'06 Torch Red Prem GT

Show: SGT Grille, SGT Lower Fogs, GT500 Chin Spoiler & Trunk Spoiler, GT Hood Scoop/Side Scoops, Powered By Ford Fender Badges, Quarter Window Louvers, Sequential TL, '13 Painted Mirrors, '10 Style GT500 Rims.
Suspension: GT500 Strut Mounts, Koni STR.T shocks/struts, SR 1.5" Springs, SR Rear LCAs, J&M Adjust PHB.
Exhaust: SLP LoudMouth1s.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s197inthe208 View Post
. . . . It feels faster, it really does. But it just doesn't feel as fast as everyone talks about . . . .
sorry, I don't know enough about the details of that CAI to be of any help with the installation . . .

but regarding the gains, from my experience, this talk you hear about "it feels like a different car" or "it's like night and day" is highly exaggerated ; the small difference that you are describing is probably realistic

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012
GT Member

I definitely wouldn’t live with that MAF sensor rig like that. You could try putting the stock air box back on, set the tuner for the stock air box, and see how it compares to the JLT. Everything else equal the JLT should add HP at the top end, but at lower RPMs and getting off the line the stock air box should be just as torquey, once again all other factors equal. If they were lazy developing the tune for the stock air box that could become a factor, and remember, these guys are in it to make money, and selling CAIs with claims of running better puts more money in their pockets.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012
S197 Mustang Owner
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to hotshot
Did it come with torx screws for the MAF sensor? i believe that it is about a T20 torx. The MAF should screw in and sit almost perfectly flush.

Also there should be flow indicators on the MAF sensor as to which way. You are REUSING the stock MAF sensor so if the arrows rubbed off simply plug it in the same way that it came off your stock airbox then.

As for the heater hose, i used a band clamp to snug it up, gave me peace of mind to know it wasn't going to come off.

2007 Mustang GT Convertible Stage 0 E-Force #402 Supercharger, Brenspeed Tune (435/400), GT500 Fuel pump, Clutch Delete Option, Roush Front Fascia, Brembos, California Dream Hood, Qwitch latch flush mount hood pins, MRT Light Bar, J&M LCA's, BMR UCA, UPR catch can, 6000k, Pypes Bombs, Pypes X-pipe, Airbrushed Flame pieces under the hood, Clear corners, GT500 shocks , FRPP P-springs (rear), BMR Adj Panhard, E-Force engine covers
2012 Ford Focus SEL 5Dr with MyFordTouch, Auto-Park, 303A Package,

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Thanks everybody for the responses. And the more I drive it the more I like it. It's a very good horsepower gain. Not "night and day" but much, much better. And I LOVE the launch limiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotshot View Post
Did it come with torx screws for the MAF sensor? i believe that it is about a T20 torx. The MAF should screw in and sit almost perfectly flush.

Also there should be flow indicators on the MAF sensor as to which way. You are REUSING the stock MAF sensor so if the arrows rubbed off simply plug it in the same way that it came off your stock airbox then.

As for the heater hose, i used a band clamp to snug it up, gave me peace of mind to know it wasn't going to come off.
The MAF sensor looked totally fine, no scratches or anything. I just don't understand why it doesn't fit right? Could it be the metal part of the CAI?

And my worries aren't on the hose side, they're about the actual seal around the hole if that makes sense.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012
S197 Mustang Owner
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to hotshot
if memory serves my JLT CAI had a little barb sticking out of the bottom and i just pushed the hose onto it, no problems.

As for the MAF sensor, maybe the metal section is from a GT elbow? i just can't see why the MAF wouldn't just slide right into it.

And the CAI and tune combo is 99% in the tune. I first loaded an 87 perf tune, it was a nice gain and i was happy. I loaded the 93 race tune a while later, OMGGG, i felt like i gained soooo much power. The Race tunes have all the throttle response right out of the box and gives you nice firm shifts (if you're an auto)

2007 Mustang GT Convertible Stage 0 E-Force #402 Supercharger, Brenspeed Tune (435/400), GT500 Fuel pump, Clutch Delete Option, Roush Front Fascia, Brembos, California Dream Hood, Qwitch latch flush mount hood pins, MRT Light Bar, J&M LCA's, BMR UCA, UPR catch can, 6000k, Pypes Bombs, Pypes X-pipe, Airbrushed Flame pieces under the hood, Clear corners, GT500 shocks , FRPP P-springs (rear), BMR Adj Panhard, E-Force engine covers
2012 Ford Focus SEL 5Dr with MyFordTouch, Auto-Park, 303A Package,

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotshot View Post
if memory serves my JLT CAI had a little barb sticking out of the bottom and i just pushed the hose onto it, no problems.

As for the MAF sensor, maybe the metal section is from a GT elbow? i just can't see why the MAF wouldn't just slide right into it.
Hmm.. I wonder if the guy I bought it from broke it off or something? I noticed that the metal part in the instructions also looked sort of flanged at one end, while mine didn't look that way.

Does anybody know if it's possible to just order that part of the CAI? Probably just wishful thinking . . .
TunableInduction

CAI Fix?

1.) The heater pcv hose has no real pressure, sucking vapors from the engine. But if "any" air leaks around the fittings and/or hose ends your car will run erratic. You should use a rubber wire grommet with a groove for the intake pipe. Available at NAPA, we use #784634 for a 3/4"+/- hole. Then a plactic straight 3/16" barbed adator to stick into grommet & other end into hose. A snug fit and it won't stick much into intake pipe. Can actualy be trimmed off flush. On the engine hose end use a mini clamp to secure it to the metal pipe out of engine.

2.) MAF sensor & maf housing are designed to go/flow just one way. Mounting screws are offset for this. Make sure the open end of the sensor is face towards the filter, and try turning maf housing around, if it's seperate from intake pipe.

If your intake pcv hole is 3/4 +/-, PM if me and I can to send you the grommet, adaptor, & mini clamp, $10.00 plus shipping.

Hope this helps :yelpleased:
ski
GT Member
S197 Member

The stock tune on my 05 GT had horrendous throttle lag. Feels just like a cable operated throttle now with the Race tune.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunableInduction View Post
1.) The heater pcv hose has no real pressure, sucking vapors from the engine. But if "any" air leaks around the fittings and/or hose ends your car will run erratic. You should use a rubber wire grommet with a groove for the intake pipe. Available at NAPA, we use #784634 for a 3/4"+/- hole. Then a plactic straight 3/16" barbed adator to stick into grommet & other end into hose. A snug fit and it won't stick much into intake pipe. Can actualy be trimmed off flush. On the engine hose end use a mini clamp to secure it to the metal pipe out of engine.

2.) MAF sensor & maf housing are designed to go/flow just one way. Mounting screws are offset for this. Make sure the open end of the sensor is face towards the filter, and try turning maf housing around, if it's seperate from intake pipe.

If your intake pcv hole is 3/4 +/-, PM if me and I can to send you the grommet, adaptor, & mini clamp, $10.00 plus shipping.

Hope this helps :yelpleased:
Thanks. This grommet was EXACTLY what I needed. My rpms are consistent at idle now.
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Hotshot is right about the #20 torx I remember my screws went on pretty damn tight when I put on mine.

2005 Mustang GT Auto: Mineral Grey with Black stripes, Steeda UDPs, Flowmaster American thunder Axle backs, Bassani catted X-pipe , JLT CAI, Ford racing 4.10 gears, Cervini here and there.

The most powerful car in the parking lot.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IansBAJ View Post
Hotshot is right about the #20 torx I remember my screws went on pretty damn tight when I put on mine.
In my instructions for my JLT intake it actually said the screws were not supposed to be torx and that they were replaced by Phillips. Idk though like I can't even describe how not close the the screws were to the holes in the intake.. I'm stumped. Anybody got pics of their JLT MAF sensor hole?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
91 octane , bama tune , gt bumper , jlt cai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page