2006 GT Charging System Problems? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

2006 GT Charging System Problems?

Hey Everyone,

I was wondering if yall could help me figure out what is going on with my car.

A few months ago my battery went dead so I replaced it and then my "check charging system" light came on. I drove it for about a month till my dad came to town and looked at it. We took the alternator off and had it test...it was bad. So i got a new alternator and put it on. It was fine for about a week. Then the light came back on.

When it first started coming on, before I replaced the alternator, it wouldn't come on till the car started heating up and it would stay on the go off but then pop back up a few minutes later.

This time it comes on every morning, but goes off once the car starts heating up and doesnt come on for the rest of the day. I have also noticed that a few minutes after cranking it, the ac/ heater will go in and out ( not all the way out, just stop blowing as hard), the lights will dim and then go to normal brightness, and the RPMs will go up and down. I think it stops that when it is fully warmed up. (The ac/heater, lights, and RPM things all happen throughout the day)

Any Ideas?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce981x View Post
Hey Everyone,
I was wondering if yall could help me figure out what is going on with my car.
Hello fierce981x,

I recommend you bring your vehicle in to your Ford dealer for diagnosis. Your Service Manager is in the best position to look into this for you. He can look into any warranty, Recalls, or Customer Satisfaction Programs that may apply to your vehicle. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me.

Deysha

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustSrvc View Post
Hello fierce981x,

I recommend you bring your vehicle in to your Ford dealer for diagnosis. Your Service Manager is in the best position to look into this for you. He can look into any warranty, Recalls, or Customer Satisfaction Programs that may apply to your vehicle. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me.

Deysha
The purpose of this forum is to share in our passion for Mustangs. In the process we modify, trade stories, and tips for repairing/improving our vehicles. If you are not going to post anything useful please just stop. We are all quite aware that Ford service will gladly take our money.

07 GT vert, Satin Silver, 5spd, premium trim, interior upgrade pkg, comfort group, GT appearance package, cloth top

ADDED: 302 Stroker, KB 2.8 Mammoth @ 20psi, DOB belt drive, E85 fed, TR6060, ATI, Cervini hood, Meziere, Pypes Long Tubes, O/R X pipe, FRPP GTA mufflers, 20" Bullitts, Eibach Springs, BMR relo brackets/UCA/LCA`s, FRPP 4.10, etc, etc.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGTvert View Post
The purpose of this forum is to share in our passion for Mustangs. In the process we modify, trade stories, and tips for repairing/improving our vehicles. If you are not going to post anything useful please just stop.
Thank you for your feedback, SilverGTvert.

Deysha
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012
GT Member

Did you change the battery when you changed alternator? I have friend in the re-man business he always suggests changing the battery with the alternator and checking all ground conditions. A bad ground can change conductivity with heat or moisture check it at the motor and the battery.

Alex
2010 GTRR in 5.0 Magazine [http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/m5lp-1212-2010-ford-mustang-gt-rr-total-fabrication/viewall.html]

2015 White SC, PP, etc....

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012
Apprentice

I would do a load test on the battery it could be bad and cause some problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2006 ford mustang gt , 4.6 , alternator , chargeing , engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page