2008 Pony Package, Thinking About Painting The Dash Dark Candy Apple Red...Thoughts? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

2008 Pony Package, Thinking About Painting The Dash Dark Candy Apple Red...Thoughts?

I have a 2008 Pony Package Mustang. My car is paint code JV, which I believe is dark candy apple red and my interior is black with the silver upper dash. I'm thinking about painting just the silver upper dash area the same color as my exterior. What do you guys think? My whole car is the dark red and satin black. The silver just stands out and looks out of place. I appreciate everyone's thoughts. Zak.

2008 Mustang Pony Package Coupe, 4.0L V6, Auto Tranny, Candy Apple Red, Boss Style Stripes, GT Suspension, GT Front Brakes, GT 8.8 Rear Axle w/ 3.73 Gears & Cobra Pinion Flange, SCT SF3/X3 Tuner, Pypes Dual Exhaust, Summit Dual Exhaust Cutouts, BBK Shorty Headers, Black Bullit Style Rims, Nitto NT450 Tires 255/50/17 Fronts 275/50/17 Rears, Upper & Lower Black Billet Grilles, CDC Rear Quarter Window Louvers, Willpak Aluminum Rear Window Louvers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012
GT Member

Personally I think I’d prefer a clear smoke tint over the silver to tone it down some instead of red paint. A red dash could get old fast. Another option would be a duller/darker silver, like magnesium.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012
Apprentice

I'd agree with stars...too much red could be a bad thing. I recently painted mine, but went the opposite direction as you by painting the gray to black, and it really brought out a different look to the car. It looks like a GT on the inside, but it's hiding in a tame V6 shell. Look for my recent posts on interior repainting to get an idea of what I did, and see for yourself.

2009 Vista Blue V6. Leather Seats, Black Interior, K & N CAI, '05 GT Wheels.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I think interior matching the exterior can look good if done well. I don't know if I would do as much as you're proposing, but you could always paint it a different color afterwords if you didn't like it.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Regardless of color, is there an online walkthrough of how to semi disassemble our dash? I want to leave it in the car and use paint tarps and basically cover everything but the silver. I also wouldn't mind doing something about the silver door handles and shifter too...

2008 Mustang Pony Package Coupe, 4.0L V6, Auto Tranny, Candy Apple Red, Boss Style Stripes, GT Suspension, GT Front Brakes, GT 8.8 Rear Axle w/ 3.73 Gears & Cobra Pinion Flange, SCT SF3/X3 Tuner, Pypes Dual Exhaust, Summit Dual Exhaust Cutouts, BBK Shorty Headers, Black Bullit Style Rims, Nitto NT450 Tires 255/50/17 Fronts 275/50/17 Rears, Upper & Lower Black Billet Grilles, CDC Rear Quarter Window Louvers, Willpak Aluminum Rear Window Louvers
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

mjewell- I looked at your post. Your interior looks great. On your original dash, the upper part that was already originally black (not the dash cap, but the upper face), that's what I'm wanting to paint the dark red. I just despise chrome. Personally it looks gaudy. The only thing that's chrome or shiny on the whole exterior of the car are my Pony Package tri bar pony emblems and my lug nuts. Lol.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZakBradshaw View Post
mjewell- I looked at your post. Your interior looks great. On your original dash, the upper part that was already originally black (not the dash cap, but the upper face), that's what I'm wanting to paint the dark red. I just despise chrome. Personally it looks gaudy. The only thing that's chrome or shiny on the whole exterior of the car are my Pony Package tri bar pony emblems and my lug nuts. Lol.
I'm kinda with you on the chrome. I found a kit to do the body color like you are. Going to plastidip the vent bezels as well. The only chrome left will be the faux gas cap. And that won't last long. I think the candy red wouldn't look bad. I saw a link to a guide for disassembling the dash. Could find it if you like.

Sent from my Touchpad using Tapatalk
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012
PONY Member

If you want Gaudy, paint it Candy Apple Red. Hey, it's your car so go for it. I would keep the classic looking silver, that is an upgrade from the base and paint the center console in Candy Apple.

Good Luck

2008 GT Premium, MagnaCharger TVS 1900, Brembo Brakes, Whiteline Watts Link, Koni Yellows, Steeda Sport Springs,
J&M Extreme LCA, BMR Relo Brackets, FR500S Axlebacks, TCI Shifter
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I've already got the paint and supplies ordered. Hopefully will get to do it next week. I'm going to do just the upper face the dark candy apple red. The A/C vents/trim rings and the gauge trim rings I'm going to paint black.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

The silver doesn't go with the rest of my car. The red does. My car is completely murdered out, and then you open the door and I have a big bright shiny silver dash. It's not my style. You will see. I'll have pictures up next week. Zak.

Apprentice

Can't wait to see...I have to admit, I'm skeptical. I sort of think that it might be a bit too much.

2009 Vista Blue V6. Leather Seats, Black Interior, K & N CAI, '05 GT Wheels.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

We will see. Absolute worst case scenario, I don't like it, pull it back off, and spray it black. Lol.

PONY Member

Can't wait for the Pics,,,Good Luck

2008 GT Premium, MagnaCharger TVS 1900, Brembo Brakes, Whiteline Watts Link, Koni Yellows, Steeda Sport Springs,
J&M Extreme LCA, BMR Relo Brackets, FR500S Axlebacks, TCI Shifter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page