Warranty question - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Warranty question

I joined this forum about 3 or 4 years ago when I purchased a 2006 GT and last fall traded that in for a 2009 GT500. I am knocking on wood as I type this because I have been fortunate enough to not have any serious issues with either car. After I bought my 06 in the spring of 08, one of my friends fell in love with my car and 2 weeks later traded his truck in for a 2008 GT. Ever since he has been convinced that he bought a lemon because my car was faster. I tried to explain that it was because I had 3.73 gears and he didn't so I would be slightly quicker. He also complained the his car would backfire and knock if he didn't put premium gas in his car. I never ran premium in my GT and never noticed any knock, even though he would say he heard it in mine too. Well, now he says that he has a ticking sound and thinks there is a problem with a lifter and has some internal engine problems. He has not exceded the warranty mileage, but says that he hasn't taken it in yet because the way he read his warranty info, that there was no set deductible and the cost to him could range from nothing to almost $800. So, my question is, has anyone had to deal with the factory warranty for their cars? And what was your exposure to your out of pocket expenses?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012
PONY Member
S197 Member

The original 3 year factory warranty has no deductible on the powertrain, but sometimes you pay for troubleshooting a problem that turns out to not be covered by factory warranty. If the problem is covered, the troubleshooting is also covered by warranty. In one case it took a day or two to verify warranty coverage with Ford because it was a high cost item (e.g., replacing my complete convertible top), but I did not pay any deductible.

Is he talking about an extended warranty (isn't his car over 3 years old)? You can pay for different deductibles and different levels of coverage, so its hard to say what he has to pay. Extended warranties are more like insurance policies than warranties, so they can get complicated when you make a claim.

Bruce

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Thanks for the reply Bruce. He did not buy an extended warranty. Both of the cars that I bought were used, so I am not personally familiar with the factory warranty, but was under the impression that the 3/36 was bumper to bumper warranty and the engine and powertrain was 5/60. He would be out of the 3/36, but still in the 5/60 for the engine.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012
PONY Member
S197 Member

PHOP1969, you are right about the warranty and I'm just showing my age/forgetfullness in remembering how Ford handles everything. In current vehicles the powertrain warranty is 5/60, however, there was a point in the old days where they did not provide an extended power train warranty.

I've made warranty claims on various Ford vehicles, and they always gave me the stock disclaimer about my having to pay the bill if it was determined to be not a warranty item. The speed in handling the claim seemed to be directly related to the motivation of the dealer, so it was much smoother if the dealer agreed with you right from the start.

Bruce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page