Standard, Non Shaker CD Player. Replace with Shaker or Aftermarket? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Standard, Non Shaker CD Player. Replace with Shaker or Aftermarket?

Hey all, I've hit this site up a few times since buying my basic (with some nice body mods) 05 Mustang. Love the car but I have one complaint, being that the car is the standard everything, it came with the very basic, low model, non-shaker cd player.

In my previous cars I usually replaced the CD players with aftermarket cd players, like Pioneer or Alpine. Anyway, the big deal for me is that the standard has no Aux port and from what I understand, doesn't even offer the ability to attach one so if I want an AUX to listen to my iPhone for streaming music and GPS I'd have to replace it.

This question is two part. First, would it be worth it (or even work) to install a shaker with an AUX? I like the car feeling completely natural but at the same time find the shaker and standard cd player (which looks like a shaker) to be bland and boring. Would you suggest going with an aftermarket? I've found some install kits for both standard slot cd players (puts a little tray under it) as well as fitting kits for taller models that would fill the entire space of the current player.

I'm pretty savvy with wiring, used to replace CD players an all kinds of cars back in high school and even some in college. So would I be better off getting a shaker or just going aftermarket and holding onto the current CD player in the event that I want to sell it one day?

The only mods I've made to the car so far is installing sequential lights for the breaks/turn signals which is very sweet...even if the people behind me are the only ones who get to enjoy it.

Anyway, any and all advice or help would be appreciated, thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012
PONY Member

I would go with an aftermarket stereo.

D.O.B Manifold, GT500 Fuel System, GT500 SC, Bassani Exhaust

SOS Dual Pillar Pod, Aeroforce & Roush Gauges
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
It is 100% possible to install the shaker 500 or 1000 into your car. My car came basic as yours did. I still have my basic radio with aux and I have added the 1000 subs and amps to it. I custom wired everything myself. I tapped into one of the rear speakers behind the back seat for audio. I tapped into a wire that had power only when the key was on for the signal wire, but I also installed a switch to turn the amps off because the subs and amps dont like not having audio. A similar process can be done for the 500's door subs but you'll need the door panels with the holes etc. As for aux, you can buy a kit from ford to unlock the aux function of your radio. Overall, it'll be cheaper for you to just go aftermarket. Finding the 1000 and 500 subs and amps can be difficult and can come pricy. I still haven't found a cheap set of the door speaker amps. And brand new, they run $200+. I went with the OEM setup because I liked the uniformity. Best looking subs for our trunks in my opinion. But it's all personal preference.

2011 GT Premium 6-Speed
GO:S550 Longblock, Boss 302 Intake Manifold, Boss 302 Exhaust Cams, Airiad CAI, Boss 302 H-Pipe and Side Pipes, Borla S-Type Axlebacks
SHOW:GT350 20 Wheels, California Special/Boss Rear Spoiler, LED Marker Lights, S550 Style Headlights with HIDs

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

+1 on the aftermarket idea. I still have a Shaker 500 working fine in mine, but after reading these forums for a year now it seems the Shaker system doesn't have much of a fan base. My AUX in works and the system sounds fine to me, but my 6-disc changer has been in-op since I bought the car.

If you're going to do all that work, might as well install a quality product that won't need further attention anytime soon.

Summer beater - 2007 Mustang GT Convertible - Tungsten Grey - 5 speed handshaker, Eagle GT's, FR500S axlebacks, Airaid CAI, Bama tuned, Steeda strut tower brace, 5W-20 standard oil, stock hood corrosion and occasional fuel fill troubles (SOLD)
Winter beater - 2006 Acura TL - Anthracite Metallic - AT, Continental DWS, AM/FM cassette, non-navigation (SOLD)
Former summer beater - 2003 Honda S2000 - Loser Blue - 6 speed, no mods (SOLD)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012
Rookie

i have a shaker 500 for sale if interested.... i actually did like it when i had it in there sounded great but then decided to upgrade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page