Automatic 60 34.29%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 123 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

The 'traffic' wildcard totally makes sense for an automatic. Here in NE Wisco I don't deal with a lot of stop and go traffic and I can only imagine it's a nightmare with a manual.

I'm lucky enough that a rolling stop is about the closest I come to a complete stop no matter where I'm going.

Summer beater - 2007 Mustang GT Convertible - Tungsten Grey - 5 speed handshaker, Eagle GT's, FR500S axlebacks, Airaid CAI, Bama tuned, Steeda strut tower brace, 5W-20 standard oil, stock hood corrosion and occasional fuel fill troubles (SOLD)
Winter beater - 2006 Acura TL - Anthracite Metallic - AT, Continental DWS, AM/FM cassette, non-navigation (SOLD)
Former summer beater - 2003 Honda S2000 - Loser Blue - 6 speed, no mods (SOLD)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s197gt View Post
When asked, I always tell people I don't know how to drive an automatic.
perfect, I love it!

for me half the fun of driving this car is shifting the gears

however if I wanted a drag car it would be an automatic

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill911 View Post
The 'traffic' wildcard totally makes sense for an automatic. ....
Not for me. Being from New Jersey I've always driven in "traffic" and I've always driven a vehicle with a manual transmission. Arthritis in my left knee and all I still have / prefer a manual transmission....

Besides automatics are WAY too difficult to master...

2007 GT, 5 speed, Paxton 2200

PONY Member
5.0L Member

Stick. Autos are for girls.. Lol!
Apprentice

Stick!! both in our Stang and my BMW 330ci. But believe me, I do understand why some people prefer or have to drive an automatic so I don't razz them. But the stick makes me feel more connected to the road. Enjoy regardless which you have!!!

'08 White GT-CS Vert 5-speed w/3:55 & HIDs;
Airaid Cold Air Induction; IUD w/Charcoal, Comfort & Ambient, Sirius w/Trip Tunes, Wheel Locks & Anti-theft; Bootcover; Pony Engine cover, Stack Racing Strut Brace, 14" Antenna, Seq. taillights; Rear Black panel; Front Black extender grille; MMD Hood Struts; Daily Driver: '14 Accord V6 Coupe w/Paddle Shifters; fun car to drive; fast + fuel efficient
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Traffic here in the Chicago area is absolutely brutal, and we have some of the worst roads and expressways in the country. I can't imagine what a pain in the ass it would be driving stick around here.

So, I have an auto because my Mustang is my daily driver. Just too much traffic around here for a stick to be fun. If I lived out in the country I might feel differently.

Current: 2015 Ford Focus SE

Former: 2007 GT, Satin Silver
GT Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

Stick all the way!!!!!!
i love when i drive because i feel one with the car and it's fun to run through the gears

2006 V6 tungsten gray
Performance= Upgraded headers, Dual GT500 Mufflers, GT swaybars front and back
Looks= Black billet grille, Tri-bar pony, Black out panel, 8" antenna, Sequential taillights, 2010 GT 19" rims, GT front bumper
Interior= Dash cover, 6.3" Jensen touchscreen, white ball shifter, Custom box for a 10" sub

1970 Mustang Coupe SOLD
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1fordlover View Post
Im 6'6" and have size 15 feet
If we put together an AFM basketball team, you're on it. haha. I hear ya on the leg room. If someone has to sit behind me, It's gonna be a short trip.

08 GT 5spd
Spectra CAI, Comp Cam Detroit Rockers, Kooks headers w/catted H-pipe, Revolution Automotive dyno tuned, FB430 race mufflers, 3.55s, JLT catch can, BMR Lca's and relo brackets. Prothane motor mounts and sway bar bushings.
20% tint, smoked markers and tail lights w/sequentials. Clear front signal covers, series 3 chin spoiler.
PONY Member

My wife said that I can buy a mustang as long as its an automatic so she can also drive it! I said if that is all it takes to get the mustang purchase approved consider it done!

I will say that 90% I am happy with the auto and don't mind, but if it would have been just my car I would have got the stick.

D.O.B Manifold, GT500 Fuel System, GT500 SC, Bassani Exhaust

SOS Dual Pillar Pod, Aeroforce & Roush Gauges
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I like my auto for daily driving, but I would love to have a stick eventually. Manual trans will always be better and more fun lol

2010 V6 Premium Grabber Blue
Appearance: MUSTANG chrome lettering on the rear, Painted decklid emblem, MMD Rear Decklid Panel, Quarter Window Louvers, GT Front Bumper Cover, Saleen grille, Blue painted calipers
Performance: Dual exhaust w/ the custom y-pipe, & flowmasters, JLT Cold Air Intake, 87 Street tune
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Stick all the way.. I wouldn't mind an auto.. But manual is so much more fun

2006 Mustang V6 Pony Package Vista Blue with a 5-speed (Michele)
Go: BBK 70mm throttle body, BBK CAI, single custom exhaust (maxflow muffler) with polished 4" tip, SCT Tuner w/ 91 RT, SR TB Spacer, Custom made cold air bucket, Spec Stage II Clutch and SF66A Flywheel
Show: White rocker stripes, Kaenen Mach 1 Style hood, painted underhood parts/covers, Muffler tip, white stripes after heat reduction ports.
Own but not insalled- Polished Shorty Headers
Future-looking for 2007-08 F150
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

If I was road racing... stick all the way. For a pleasure vehicle for cruising... give me the auto. I've had my share of both...I do miss having a manual "at times"... but those times are like the 90/10 exception rule. This is the first Auto I have ever owned with a "tune"...and I must say with the adjusted trans shift points, I don't think a manual driver can outshift a computer (at least I couldn't)

2006 Screaming Yellow GT Convertible, Steeda Sport Springs, 19" Shelby GT500 wheels, SSS Terminator exhaust, C&L Intake + 93 octane tune, Sony XAV68BT head unit, Memphis MXC572 speakers
Check out catchyellowfever.org
ABH
Apprentice

Garage
If I could, I'd make mine an auto.

Getting difficult to use a stick.

2011 Mustang GT MT-82
Apprentice
S197 Member

Wanted a manual but the 06' I bought used came in auto. I didnt mind the auto as I just wanted to get into the car & I figured with it being an 06' I could do a manual conversion after I paid off the car. I got a tune from brenspeed though and now Im not sure if Im going to do the conversion. My girl has been giving me crap though because she drives a 11' Camaro which is manual. She, like a few others have stated, said she doesnt know how to drive an auto, lol. I thought it was funny when I read some of you say that because she said the same thing to me like a week ago. :hihi:
Apprentice

It's always disappointing to see a nicely modded stang and then see that it's an automatic. There is nothing wrong with them, and I understand the preference that people have over a manual car. But as an enthusiast, especially one that enjoys the feeling of completely connecting with the car, it's always brings up the urge to express to them how much they are missing out on by not driving a MT.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page