Stick or Automatic? - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum
View Poll Results: Stick or automatic?
Stick 115 65.71%
Automatic 60 34.29%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

I've got an auto. When I was looking for a mustang, I had my mind set on getting a manual. All in all, I'm satisfied with the auto. The tune helps - it still has manners under regular driving, but if you give it the oats, it really livens up and shifts FAST.

Sometimes I'd still prefer to have a manual - because slamming through your own gears is pretty fun. But also because I get tired of "car guys" giving me grief over having an automatic mustang lol.

It's funny - you never see automatic guys telling the manual guys, "What? Auto is the way to go - it's the only way to go in a performance car, the shifting is so smooth and fast, all you have to do is concentrate on the gas, the brake, and that next corner, etc etc etc".
But so often you get the manual guys going "WHAT?! Manual is the only way to go in a performance car, because no computer can decide for me when I want to shift gears, and I can shift as fast and accurate as any auto, and I feel more connected to the road and to me it's all about the experience, etc etc".

Not aiming at anyone in particular, but I'm sure you all know what I mean lol.

Someone once asked me about my car, and said "Is it a standard or automatic?" My response? "uh.. how can I tell"?

2007 GT - vista blue/black leather/auto/3.73 gears/CnL Racer CAI, SLP Powerflo axelbacks, tuned by Bama!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

And having said that, my next mustang will almost certainly be a manual lol.

2007 GT - vista blue/black leather/auto/3.73 gears/CnL Racer CAI, SLP Powerflo axelbacks, tuned by Bama!
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonthefox View Post
Someone once asked me about my car, and said "Is it a standard or automatic?" My response? "uh.. how can I tell"?
Ok I'm going to have to use that one. Thats good, haha.

Rookie
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill911 View Post
The 'traffic' wildcard totally makes sense for an automatic. Here in NE Wisco I don't deal with a lot of stop and go traffic and I can only imagine it's a nightmare with a manual.

I'm lucky enough that a rolling stop is about the closest I come to a complete stop no matter where I'm going.
Bah. I've been driving my manual in San Fransisco 3x days a week. If ever there was a reason for an automatic transmission, SF is it. But you get the hang of it after a couple gnarly hills.
Apprentice

I would suicide driving my car in SF
I would need that hill assist in the 2013(i think its there) or an auto.
Im decent with alitht slopes here but that stuff is insane
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al ALUCARD19 View Post
Gotta be a stick why have a muscle car with an auto,besides the side benefit is my wife can't drive a stick this way she never touches my car.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And I thought I was the only one

I really enjoy the manual shift in my Mustang. I feel more connected. However, if I had more stop and go traffic I would have gone automatic.

2005 Mustang V6 Convertible

Additions:
A little "GO" and a little "SHOW"

Life sucks when you drive a Chevy...
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I love stick. My last car was auto, and it just got boring. It's nice in traffic, and especially when I'm drinking a cup of coffee, but I like driving stick. I have had 2 rangers that were 5 speeds, and ever since I turned in that last one at the end of the lease, I always missed it. It just makes driving fun.

I will say that if I had a track only car that I drag raced with, I would go with auto for the consistency and accuracy of the controlled shifts. But for a street car, I just like banging through the gears myself.

2005 GT premium convertible: Performance White with red Shelby style stripes and red leather/charcoal interior, K&N CAI, Flowmaster cat backs, Steeda Tri-Ax...here we go again...
2005 GT premium convertible: Satin Silver with red leather/charcoal interior, Flowmaster American Thunder axleback, K&N FIPK...K.I.A. 12/12/12
2001 Honda CBR 929RR: Pearlescent Yellow/Black, Erion bolt on can, K&N filter...don't even try...
GT Member
S197 Member

Love the stick.......I love the control and I love down shifting to a light and hearing the burbling exhaust

2007 G5 alloy Premium vert GT. 4.6V8 5spd Black leather int with dove Shaker 1000 My colour dash Sirius GT appearance pkg Light bar Sequentials Shelby wheels/tires Shelby splitter tinted lights Bullitt strut brace Billett interior trim Rear blackout panel 3D carbon side scoops windscreen,flowmaster american thunder axel backs Bama tune Sctx4 tuner JLT CAI series 3
PONY Member
5.0L Member

I love them both and had them both, the manual is definetly a drivers choice, the auto is a cruisers. My back the way it is now I should have kept the automatic, I looked at a nice Notchback with an auto the owner said lost the overdrive but still drove nice just with 3 gears, I looked under the hood and the TV cable was off, he insisted it had always been off and didnt affect it, I passed , between that the smell of mold and the dash lights not working at all not even the directional bulbs I think walking away was good, I still want an auto notch but they are pricey

"I worship the sun and i pray to Joe Pesci, because he looks like a guy who can get things done" George Carlin
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

When I first learned to drive there was no car to learn stick, so when I bought my first car (My current mustang) I got an auto.. I can drive stick now and if I bought a car now, I'd go with stick.. But I get to experience shifting on the Kawasaki Ninja 250..

2006 Mustang GT (Auto) - FRSCPE1 (Farscape 1)
C&L Racer CAI with Bama tune
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
To me, the Mustang is a twisties road car. There's no way that an automatic can anticipate what's next and do the job that I do manually.

2005 4.0 MT dual exhaust GT mufflers GT suspension and wheels
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja63634 View Post
Stick. Autos are for girls.. Lol!
I know several girls you just made upset...LOL

My vote is for auto....only due to a neck surgery and 2 back surgeries.
Atalanta likes this.

Peace....The MadMan :smoke:
Current: 2008 Tjaarda 350T
K&N CAI - Eibach Springs|Baer 14” Zinc Coated, Slotted & Drilled Rotors|6-Piston Front Calipers|GT Legends with Nitto NT-555 255/35ZR20 Front and 275/35ZR20 Rear|Custom side exhaust|Molded Front Fascia|Hood|Carbon Fiber Rocker Panels|Lower Side Scoops|Rear Fascia|4“ Ion Crystal Fog Lamps|2.5“ PIAA Extreme White Driving Lights
Sold: 2006 Premium Tung Grey GT - 5 speed
Apprentice

Stick, but in my opinion every sports car should only be stick. Shelby's are only stick.boss 302 only stick. Why argue with what's already the obvious and being auto, I understand daily driving and all, but I think it takes the fun out of driving the car :P IMO
Rookie

Purchased my first mustang as a manual, will never purchase an automatic, ever.

2009 Mustang V6 Torch Red Manual - 19" Staggered Machined Flat Black AMR Wheels with Sumitomo HTRZIII ll Full Eibach Sport Suspension System (Sportline Springs, Shocks/Dampers) ll True Duals to Ford Racing FR500s Mufflers ll CDC Chin Spoiler ll GT500 Spoiler ll 8000K HIDS ll Blackout Panel
ABH
Apprentice

Garage
Next one will be an auto.

2011 Mustang GT MT-82
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page