Stick or Automatic? - Page 4 - Ford Mustang Forum
View Poll Results: Stick or automatic?
Stick 115 65.71%
Automatic 60 34.29%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree10Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member
 
07GTStallion's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Somewhere in
Posts: 101
 
Has to be a stick. Otherwise why buy a muscle car? An auto takes all the fun out of it. Sticks are so much more versatile. Way way way more fun!


Black 07 Mustang GT Premium 5 Speed Manual
-Exedy Mach 500 Stage 3 Clutch and Exedy Lightweight Flywheel
-Flowmaster Outlaw Series Axle Backs
-Roush CAI
-BAMA Tuned
07GTStallion is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
SHELBY GT 500 Member
 
amustangrocks's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Traverse City
Posts: 11,864
         
after driving a stick for 35 years, (not to mention replacing parts) i love my auto. but marcy wanted a stick in hers, so thats cool, so we have 1 of each. i drive it once in a while, its ok.


05 V6 auto,
amustangrocks is offline  
ABH
Apprentice
 
ABH's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Bucks County,
Posts: 208
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07GTStallion View Post
Has to be a stick. Otherwise why buy a muscle car? An auto takes all the fun out of it. Sticks are so much more versatile. Way way way more fun!
Muscle cars are not defined by their transmission.

Any of a group of American-made 2/4-door coupes with powerful engines designed for high-performance driving is a muscle car.

Why buy a muscle car? Because he/she wants one.

2011 Mustang GT MT-82
ABH is offline  
 
PONY Member
 
jasonthefox's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Cape Breton
Posts: 381
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABH View Post
Muscle cars are not defined by their transmission.

Right on. I'd take either one. Truthfully, I'd prefer a manual but Ive currently got an auto. I've said it before too - the auto guys never criticize the manual guys but more often than not, you hear the manual guys look down on the autos. Can't figure it out.

2007 GT - vista blue/black leather/auto/3.73 gears/CnL Racer CAI, SLP Powerflo axelbacks, tuned by Bama!
jasonthefox is offline  
ABH
Apprentice
 
ABH's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Bucks County,
Posts: 208
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonthefox View Post
Right on. I'd take either one. Truthfully, I'd prefer a manual but Ive currently got an auto. I've said it before too - the auto guys never criticize the manual guys but more often than not, you hear the manual guys look down on the autos. Can't figure it out.
Mine's a manual. I'd rather have an auto, but when you buy used and you don't want to keep looking.....

Nothing wrong with an auto. Better bang for the buck using a tuner. No missed shifts. No worry about riding the clutch. Break a leg/arm and you can still drive.

2011 Mustang GT MT-82
ABH is offline  
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member
 
GTFun06's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Rochester Hills
Posts: 2,926
 
It's just hilarious reading the posts of stick drivers bashing the auto owners (no muscle car should have an auto, i would never own an auto, etc, etc, etc).
I've owned both and am saying that literally maybe on 1 cruise per year driving thru some twisties do I actually miss the "connected" feeling of shifting on demand. With that said, I will take 364 days of "Power & Convenience" over 1 day of "Power & Connection". Unless you drive the twisties all thru the week and it's your daily commute... I will just keep laughing at your posts. The "Connection" from a stick does nothing for me when commuting on local highway or interstate traffic.
The one comment was missing the exhaust burble back pressure when you have a clutch! That is worth the stick with the right car!

2006 Screaming Yellow GT Convertible, Steeda Sport Springs, 19" Shelby GT500 wheels, SSS Terminator exhaust, C&L Intake + 93 octane tune, Sony XAV68BT head unit, Memphis MXC572 speakers
Check out catchyellowfever.org
GTFun06 is offline  
ABH
Apprentice
 
ABH's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Bucks County,
Posts: 208
 
Garage
Want a real connection, drive a car that doesn't have an ECU. I had a 72 AMC Javelin stick with an I-6. No rev limiter to bounce on and off. No fancy doodads at all.

2011 Mustang GT MT-82
ABH is offline  
PONY Member
 
fleshmcfilth123's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: College Park
Posts: 680
 
A 6speed trans with a strong V8 is a hell of a combo. I love the feeling all around, you feel like a race car driver just going to work. That being said, unless my next car is a Cobra or GT500, I want to try something new... 3500-4000 stall automatic with tires and gears.

Now my daily is auto for traffic and girlfriend reasons.

2012 5.0 GT M6 Grabber Blue
300A, 3.73s, Brembo Brake package, Lethal O/R X-pipe, Mac axle back, JLT CAI, Lund cammed tune/Bama race tune, J&M LCAs, FRPP K springs, Tokico HP struts, MGW shifter, 305/18 NT555Rs

2012 Accord SE - DD
Lost loves: '97 Acura CL, '08 Mustang V6, '05 Pontiac GTO, 2011 Civic
fleshmcfilth123 is offline  
PONY Member
 
calspcl's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Denham Springs
Posts: 500
 
Stick all the way, I use mind as a DD and heavy traffic with no problem, you just can't beat the fun factor of a stick, not knocking autos for they have there purpose too, I just prefer the stick. I can drive my wife's Freestyle if I want an auto fix. :kooky:

2008 Black Mustang GT/CS, 5 speed manual, G/T appearance package, FRPP 4.10 gears, Charcoal Aluminum interior panel, Interior upgrade. Roush TVS stage 1 SC , Stang Hi dyno-jet 93 Oct tune, Pypes LT's X-pipes and delete mufflers, MGW shifter.
calspcl is offline  
Rookie
 
Turbo8u's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 3
 
Auto, to much traffic here in Atlanta. But I have a 84 SVO when I go play.

-Phillip
2013 Mustang GT Sterling Gray, Brembo, Auto
2012 Genesis 4.6
1984 Mustang SVO
Turbo8u is offline  
PONY Member
5.0L Member
 
Ninja63634's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Long island
Posts: 678
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFun06 View Post
It's just hilarious reading the posts of stick drivers bashing the auto owners (no muscle car should have an auto, i would never own an auto, etc, etc, etc).
I've owned both and am saying that literally maybe on 1 cruise per year driving thru some twisties do I actually miss the "connected" feeling of shifting on demand. With that said, I will take 364 days of "Power & Convenience" over 1 day of "Power & Connection". Unless you drive the twisties all thru the week and it's your daily commute... I will just keep laughing at your posts. The "Connection" from a stick does nothing for me when commuting on local highway or interstate traffic.
The one comment was missing the exhaust burble back pressure when you have a clutch! That is worth the stick with the right car!
No offense, but if you don't understand why a mustang, or any sports car/muscle car, should be stick, then you just don't get it, or your not shifting correctly.... It's like the difference between hitting baseballs in a batting cage, and hitting from a real pitcher.... Again , no offense. I don't want my mustang to feel like a Camry!


Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Ninja63634 is offline  
PONY Member
 
Immortal's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Austria
Posts: 314
 
Almost every Italian or German High Power car is an Auto (Paddle shifters are also Autos..) So i dont think the argument sport cars have to be stick is valid.
I Enjoy driving Stick, yes it connects you more to the Car, but on the other Hand, the Auto connects you more to you GF on the Passenger seat..
Im not sure if my next car is Auto or Stick, just because i prefer Autos over sticks in Used cars, the Auto can withstand way more then an douche bag pre-owner which slips the clutch for hours..
Drawback, the trans fluid is adding Weight..
So im Neutral with trans choice. GF "connection" vs car connection..

I told it, but no one was listening.

2010 Torch Red Mustang GT Coupe Auto, Premium, 400A Leather, Backup cam, Sport Springs
2007 Redfire Mustang V6 Coupe Auto, Tan Interior, FR Single Exhaust, FR CAI, FR PP Suspension,BAMA 91P
Black Merc. Benz E-Class Manual (Daily Driver) 47MPG, 215.000mi
Immortal is offline  
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member
 
GTFun06's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Rochester Hills
Posts: 2,926
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja63634 View Post
No offense, but if you don't understand why a mustang, or any sports car/muscle car, should be stick, then you just don't get it, or your not shifting correctly.... Again , no offense. I don't want my mustang to feel like a Camry!
1st- What would make an automatic Mustang feel like a Camry??? Just the auto transmission? So following this logic, you are saying a Honda Civic stick is more like a 'real' Mustang because of it's manual gearbox then a 'fake' (or Auto) Mustang? I'm not sure if you're assuming Autos can't accelerate as quick as a stick (based on your "I wasn't shifting correctly" comment)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal View Post
Almost every Italian or German High Power car is an Auto (Paddle shifters are also Autos..) So i dont think the argument sport cars have to be stick is valid.
2nd- To your point about every sports/muscle car should be a stick...Immortal said it best.

Transmission types are a preference you can get both on just about every single sports/muscle car. Just as you 'prefer' (and obviously too far biased to understand anyone else's opinion) a stick, some may 'prefer' an auto. It has nothing to do with shifting incorrectly, I've had sticks (2 Mustangs, Camaro, Trans-Am, 3 Trucks) and enjoyed them too. After having both, I now 'prefer' an Auto as stated in my previous post.

2006 Screaming Yellow GT Convertible, Steeda Sport Springs, 19" Shelby GT500 wheels, SSS Terminator exhaust, C&L Intake + 93 octane tune, Sony XAV68BT head unit, Memphis MXC572 speakers
Check out catchyellowfever.org
GTFun06 is offline  
PONY Member
 
themangeraaad's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Acton
Posts: 636
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja63634 View Post
No offense, but if you don't understand why a mustang, or any sports car/muscle car, should be stick, then you just don't get it, or your not shifting correctly.... It's like the difference between hitting baseballs in a batting cage, and hitting from a real pitcher.... Again , no offense. I don't want my mustang to feel like a Camry!
On a personal level I agree - Any Mustang or sports car I own will have a manual transmission. Actually any vehicle I own (sports car or not) will have a manual transmission as long as they are available. I've never owned an automatic vehicle in my 10+ years of driving and I don't plan on changing that. My father hasn't owned a car with a manual transmission in 20+ years but even he agrees that Mustangs/Camaros/etc should be stickshift.

That said, who cares? It's personal preference. Yeah I always get a bit disappointed when I see a great car and it has an auto, but that's just my preference. Maybe the driver has an injury and they can't operate a clutch, maybe they spend hours per day in traffic and an auto is just that much more convenient, maybe they just like an automatic transmission. Hell, some cars have an automatic transmission because they can shift quicker than a human could shift a manual... so is "better performance" a good enough reason to have an automatic? Regardless, who are you to judge?

Drive your manual car and like it but don't give other people **** because they chose an auto. It seems dumb to get your panties in a bunch because of someone elses transmission preference.

2005 Windveil Blue GT (MT)
93H Bama tune, JLT Series 3 CAI, FRPP CMDPs, Pype bomb super system, 3.73 gears, Steeda shift bushings, Saleen short shift block
Steeda ultralite springs, Tokiko D-specs, J&M Extreme joint UCA/LCAs, PHB, C/C plates, bumpsteer kit, Steeda Q1S wheels, 2011 GT brakes, 275/40R18 Sumi HTR Ziii tires
themangeraaad is offline  
PONY Member
5.0L Member
 
Ninja63634's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Long island
Posts: 678
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFun06 View Post
1st- What would make an automatic Mustang feel like a Camry??? Just the auto transmission? So following this logic, you are saying a Honda Civic stick is more like a 'real' Mustang because of it's manual gearbox then a 'fake' (or Auto) Mustang? I'm not sure if you're assuming Autos can't accelerate as quick as a stick (based on your "I wasn't shifting correctly" comment)?



2nd- To your point about every sports/muscle car should be a stick...Immortal said it best.

Transmission types are a preference you can get both on just about every single sports/muscle car. Just as you 'prefer' (and obviously too far biased to understand anyone else's opinion) a stick, some may 'prefer' an auto. It has nothing to do with shifting incorrectly, I've had sticks (2 Mustangs, Camaro, Trans-Am, 3 Trucks) and enjoyed them too. After having both, I now 'prefer' an Auto as stated in my previous post.
Ok... So I tried to be nice. And I am still gonna be nice. I agree with you about preference. Transmission type is a preference. But you are missing my point. I don't prefer, to have a ford computer do my shifting. I PREFER the connected feeling. I wouldn't take a stick civic, or corolla, over an Auto Mustang. And I never stated that. In an Auto, I feel disconnected from the car 100% of the time. In a stick I don't. I agree about the convenience of an auto in traffic... No doubt. But I wouldn't drive an Auto mustang daily any way. My 92 is a toy.
As far as German and Italian paddle shifting goes, I agree, in fact, having driven both, the paddle shifters are almost better! IMO. If ford came out with a paddle shifting system even half as good as BMW, I would definetly consider it.

Now... All of this is my opinion. Yours may differ. But no reason to flame me, or quote my post in red.... It's just a conversation. Thanx.


Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

Ninja63634 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1