Stick or Automatic? - Page 6 - Ford Mustang Forum
View Poll Results: Stick or automatic?
Stick 115 65.71%
Automatic 60 34.29%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

stick. Hand down 10x more fun to drive. I dont my friend auto 2012 gt(mines and 05 gt) and i would def rather have my stick shift 2005 way more than his way faster automatic version of my car lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

what about the ratchet shifter?

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch43 View Post
what about the ratchet shifter?
... and "Select Shift"?

ADDED: 2014 GT 5.0A conv. black: electronics, comfort, security, CA plate (FLICK U); assembled 06-13-2014, delivered 09-25-2014; odometer today (03-21-2016) 4,321.5(--> DELETED --> 2013 5.06M coupe, black:: Odo LAST day (09-25-2014) 7,975) (--> DELETED --> 2008 GT/CS: Odo LAST day (10-22-2012): 9,719.3; #2075 of 2509 convertibles, #560 of 718 in Ebony. 2009 GT/CS: Odo last day (09-08-2012): 12,000.1; #34 of 1705 coupes, #3 of 377 in Performance White. <-- DELETED <--)

Apprentice

Stick

Unless the auto includes a higher stall converter and at least a performance valve body. Then the auto is a blast, too.

Brenspeed 93 tune, Detroit Rockers, 4.10, Hurst,Pypes LTs, HiFlo cats,H-pipe,Violators, UMI adj UCA,Spohn LCAs,UMI relocation brackets,Shaftmasters Al DS
Apprentice
4.6L Member

My weekend cruiser is an auto, but my DD is a 5spd. Honestly, I like either one. The reason why I bought my auto, is because I got a sweet deal on the car (paid 7K instead of 11K). But I hate how at car shows the typical manual driver go, "Oh, you drive an auto, that's lame?" I always say yes and I'm proud of it. I don't get why people bash on auto's? I don't see anything wrong with them. Sure some people may feel "disconnected" and that you aren't as concentrated while driving a stick and all that bs. I find that to be the opposite for me, because no matter what I am driving, phone is on silent and I just drive and that's what I like to do in my Stang. There are tons of parts out there to make your auto a beast (gears, valve body, stall conversion and etc). I'm perfectly happy with my auto Stang. That's just my $0.02.
standingwave likes this.

They all call me: "That Mustang Kid". Mods on profile.
1968 Ford Mustang Golden Nugget Special- Auto, 105,000 miles, 289 4 barrel, Gold Nugget in color with black vinyl top.
2001 Mustang GT Convertible Premium- Auto, 73,000 miles, 4.6L, All Black, Sitting in storage.
2006 Hyundai Elantra-DD
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Chicago traffic = Automatic transmission. That's my simple equation. Can't imagine driving a stick in this traffic.

Current: 2015 Ford Focus SE

Former: 2007 GT, Satin Silver
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Automatic. My wife cannot drive stick and said I could only get my 08 GT if she could drive it occasionally. Plus I've been driving my s10 stick everyday in city traffic for like the last 6 years and I'm sick of stick. I only drive my 08 GT on nice days and I love not having to mess around shifting all the time.

2008 Mustang GT, Auto, Steeda CAI, FRPP FR500S/KR Axlebacks, Led Map Light Conversion, 255/50/17 Nitto NT555 Tires, Stock 17" Bullit Rims, Steeda Hood Struts, SCT Tuned by Bama, 4.10 FRPP, Kooks Longtubes With Catted XPipe.
Apprentice

I have an automatic, and about 10% of the time I wish it was a stick.

My dual clutch (DSG) on my GTI is the perfect transmission. I really wish one would be offered on the Mustang.

All that being said, claiming "real" muscle cars don't have automatics is ridiculous; go to any car show and check out the old Shelby and Boss Mustangs...probably over half are automatic, and those autos weren't nearly as good or sporty as modern autos.

2011 GT Premium | Grabber Blue | Roush Phase 2 Supercharger Kit with Tuning by VMP
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
My dual clutch (DSG) on my GTI is the perfect transmission. I really wish one would be offered on the Mustang.
It's all a matter of opinion. You like your car's automatic. I have no use for it. Dual clutch... In a Mustang.... why?

Up until recently Mustang was about bang for the buck.... Now with the generation of entitlement the want is for everything to be "standard".... I really wish Mustang offered a light weight LX stripped of all the crap they continually pile on to it but that ain't going to happen. We have people bitching about a lack of a remote truck release for god's sake....

Quote:
All that being said, claiming "real" muscle cars don't have automatics is ridiculous; go to any car show and check out the old Shelby and Boss Mustangs...probably over half are automatic, and those autos weren't nearly as good or sporty as modern autos.
Once again, a matter of opinion. Just because other people do it doesn't make it any more valid or "ridiculous"...

Personally I find automatics PAINFULLY boring... I haven't owned an automatic in ~25 year and haven't missed it for a second.

Once again, just my opinion....

2007 GT, 5 speed, Paxton 2200
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan T. View Post
I agree with this, 100%.

I already posted my answer in this thread - I have an auto, but would have prefered to get a manual. But what I thought was a better deal at the time happen to come along, and it happened to be an auto. And while I might have preferred to get a standard, I'm still digging the auto.

I just hate how I run into manual guys who talk down on the automatics, saying how much more "connected" they are to the car when they shift their owns gears, or how boring the auto is, or the ever ridiculous "automatics are for girls". I'm not saying all manual transmission fans do it, but you very rarely see the auto people doing that to the manual people lol. Automatics are on the defensive, because the manuals just have to mention why they're better lol.

Of course it's all a matter of opinion; that's mine lol.
standingwave likes this.

2007 GT - vista blue/black leather/auto/3.73 gears/CnL Racer CAI, SLP Powerflo axelbacks, tuned by Bama!
GT Member
S197 Member

Garage
I agree with FYouGitive. In the ideal world, one of each, but the auto would win if it was the only car.

Howelldaddy
89 LX Notch: Floo-Tek 5.0X heads, GT-40 intake, B-303 cam, Dynamic 3800 converter, 4.10:1 gears & lots of suspension work. 12.50 @ 106.42 MPH.
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan T. View Post

I know this isn't the point of the thread but I'm pretty sure no Boss Mustang ever left the factory with an auto.
Apprentice

Garage
Must be a stick. I guess people have their reasons for an automatic. but for me I cannot think of one.

Mine-06 Mustang GT Convertible
Sons-99 Mustang GT
Apprentice

Garage
I have never liked the disconnected feel of a torque converter. If it was a dual clutch then sure. But as someone else said not hating on auto's. I'd rather someone buy an auto Stang then another car

2010 GT Premium 5-speed w/ 3.73 - Acquired 08-2015

Pypes PypeBomb Axlebacks - MGW Shifter - BMR TCA032 LCA's - J&M Adj. UCA & Mount - BFG Comp 2 A/S - Powerstop Z26 Street Warrior Brake Kit -
Hoonigan & Rockstar Stickers (Worth 50hp right there)
PONY Member

Garage
Automatic

My wife would not even consider a manual transmission.

That being said, the six speed automatic in our 2016 GT is a really nice automatic.

And yes, I can drive a manual transmission. I used to have a 1977 Dodge Colt with a floor mounted stick shift.

"A thing of beauty is a joy forever; its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness" John Keats.

Where Mustangs Began: 1963 Ford Falcon Futura Hardtop with a 164 hp Challenger 260 V-8 and a Ford-O-Matic two-speed automatic transmission. "The Wonder Falcon".
2016 Ford Mustang GT Fastback with a 435 hp Coyote 5.0 L V-8 and a 6R80E six-speed automatic transmission. "Race Red".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page