Stick or Automatic? - Page 7 - Ford Mustang Forum
View Poll Results: Stick or automatic?
Stick 115 65.71%
Automatic 60 34.29%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

I've had plenty of both. The first car I had that wasn't my parents hand-me-down was a stick. I've spent the last 9 years driving stick and I enjoy them but each trans type has it's own pluses and minuses. It's like some people are certain it's the difference between being a "real" car person or not. What I don't get is why that one thing is a deal -breaker for so many? It's certainly not the only consideration when buying or driving a car.
Anyway, I decided to buy my current '06 GT because it had a lot of things I wanted despite being an auto. It would have cost a fortune to buy another car with a stick then add these things.
All I know is that when I hit the gas it scoots and I'm pretty sure that feels the same no matter what trans you have.

2006 GT Convertible, Regency Conversion, Satin Silver, Powerstop pads and rotors, Pypes Violators, shiny interior trim bits, alloy/ dead pedals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill911 View Post
I'm always cruising the classifieds and internet in my area looking at used Stangs and it blows my mind how many are automatic in my area. Nothing wrong with that, just surprised that auto's outnumber sticks about 10 to 1 around here. I would think that on a car like the Mustang it would be the other way around.

What is yours.....stick or auto?
Stick.

Just like every other car we've bought since 1970.

My wife and I have each made at least 66 complete trips around the sun, and neither of us wants a car with an automatic transmission even now. At this point, having a clutch pedal and a gearshift lever that needs frequent attention is just the way our cars are supposed to work.

It's been over a dozen years since I even drove an automatic-anything more than about 50 feet.

Norm

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
'19 WRX, 6M (hers)
'01 Maxima 20AE, 5M (spare, winter driver)
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Per VIN it's an automatic.
Per me, it's now a stick.

I don't bash either way.
I just would rather not have cruise control, than not have complete control.

PONY Member

Garage
I have auto but I want stick. Auto is so boring and dull. I've had my v6 auto for about 7months now and all I can think about is getting a manual gt. I even had a few dreams about it lol, sad but true.
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Autos are okay. Nothing particularly wrong with them...til it's time to fix/replace them.

They tend to be priced less too.

Mine was an auto.
But nothing beats full control. The additional 32.2/23.7 dyno bump was nice.
Mpg went up a tad as well.

I'd say go for what fits your budget.

They both have merits.
Autos are consistent, easy to launch and generally rather trouble free.
Rookie

Got a stick because my son is now of driving age. Driving a stick seems to be more and more a lost skill for his age group. My thinking was skillful shifting would make him a better driver. It has the added benefits of necessitating his full attention to driving, and with a lever sticking up between the seats, it keeps his female friends at bay.
GT Member
S197 Member

Garage
Auto on my Fox for consistency at the strip. Auto on the S197 because it was used, and the deal was too good to pass up. My next car, when I retire, will be a stick.

Howelldaddy
89 LX Notch: Floo-Tek 5.0X heads, GT-40 intake, B-303 cam, Dynamic 3800 converter, 4.10:1 gears & lots of suspension work. 12.50 @ 106.42 MPH.
Rookie

Just bought my 06 gt auto. Car is slick shifts great but I must admit I kinda wish it was a stick. My last mustang 10 yrs ago was a fox body 5.0 with theT5. I'm older now and convinced myself the auto was a better choice. I never test drove a 05 09 manual only a 2011 6 speed which I didn't like. Wish I test drove a 05 09 w5 speed and gave it a chance. But hey I still love my car and it's loads of fun. An auto today is way different than the autos of the 90s such as the AOD in the fox cars.
PONY Member

When I traded my 2011 V6 auto for a GT I wanted to get a manual car but with all the issues with the chinese MT-82 trans in the new mustangs I decided to stick with the auto trans. The 6R80 is a great transmission and I don't regret my choice. But to each their own. Having full control with the manual trans is nice but not a necessity for me.

2014 Mustang GT 6R80, Procharger Stage 2 D1SC, BBK 85mm TB, Boss IM, Sai Li fuel system. Circle D 3C, 1-7/8" Kooks Long Tubes w/Offroad X Pipe, Lethal Over-Axle Pipes, Corsa Quad Axle-Back, Eibach Pro System Plus, BMR K member, Shaftmasters DS, Forgestar CF-5 Wheels and Nitto NT05 tires. Lund Tuned

Lots of suspension goodies and some other stuff I can't remember.
GT Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member

Auto are faster, but manual is more fun. Been buying manual ever since. Driving is more about the experience than the destination

35th Anni. Laser Red 3.8 coupe
ET: 1/8-9.892 @71.57 ET: 1/4-15.452 @88.06
4.6 60' 2.195 ET 14.205 MPH 99.44

98 Ranger XLT 4x4 Oxford White 3.0 M/T
Apprentice

I simply love shifting my own gears - I just do. It's not about performance for me. At least stock, most GTs really aren't fast or powerful. 281 cu in is a pretty small v8 - But still tons of fun! And for me, that's what it's about - the fun factor. And it's fun rowing gears for me.
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Garage
I would have gotten a stick if it was cheaper rose was all i could afford at the time and shes amazing i think she would be better with a stick but the auto is nice

1997 Mustang Gt auto - White Rose - Custom 2in exhaust with headers and flowmasters and an offroad stock 2.25 in h pipe and custom bent 2.25 catback 3.08 rear end MM caster camber plates installed Kyb gr2s installed Ford racing c springs with polys isos all around SR performance upper and lower poly control arms pi head swap gt500 followers sr cold air intake hand ported stock plenum raxiom smoked halo headlights
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Auto for driving in slow city traffic or for bracket racing at the strip. Manual for everything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodooman View Post
281 cu in is a pretty small v8
In Europe, a 4.6L V8 would be considered as massive and that's reflected in the annual road tax fees.

2006 GT Deluxe - 5MT - 12.50 @ 109.61
314rwhp 330rwtq with basic bolt-ons
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Can I change my vote?

I want my automatic back...rather cruise control haha

I've never owned a hydraulic clutch setup.
I find it's pretty swell.

To add to what bullitt95 said.
The Germans were astounded with my 4.0.
It took convincing for them to believe it only planted 275/285 with a supercharger
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo8u View Post
Auto, to much traffic here in Atlanta. But I have a 84 SVO when I go play.
Oh god, Atlanta traffic. I drive stick and my left knee hates me Monday through Friday.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page