Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I just signed over my `99 Cobra to my son today, so now I`m "stuck" with my `13 GT `vert, auto. Pretty sure I`ll be OK.

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
I Voted AUTO. I can drive a stick but with my left side being f'ed up it is so much easier for me.

"ONX PNY"

2009 MUSTANG (45TH Aniversary) premium w/pony package.
AUTO, Leather, IUP, Kenwood DDX393/Speakers
A.M Bullitt wheels W/custom center caps
RAXIOM RETRO'S Black turn signals/Tinted rear bumper lights cobra Roadster hood that's functional and many other mods

Yes I know my user name doesn't match my car color

1966 coupe 289 2V C code factory BENCH/P/S
Apprentice

The survey is slightly skewed-
High percentage of V6 mustangs are "Auto" (many secretarial cars)
GT Mustangs. Will have a higher "Stick/manual ratio
90lxwhite likes this.

1965 Mustang 289 Auto
1967 Mustang Fastback 289 4-Speed
1991 Toyota MR2 2.4 turbo 5-Speed
2005 Mustang Conv. Premium Auto
2007 Mustang GT Premium Auto
2013 Mustang V6 Premium Auto Convt. GHIG
2019 Mustang GT Premium Auto Convt. Need for Green

SHELBY GT 350 Member

Stick or Automatic?

It depends on what year and how I'd be using it. If I had to chose between a '95 auto and a '95 manual I'd go with the manual. If I was choosing between a new one I'd probably go with the auto if all else was equal. The new auto transmissions have come a long way. More often than not they'll be faster than theirs manual counterpart these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Obviously the newer car will outperform the older one in just about any measured performance category you can dream up, so it's more about how well these two cars can be equipped to match what you want from them. Do you really think you'd use or drive a S550 GT any differently than you would a V8 SN95?

I'm thinking on a "driver's attitude" level here, or how you react to the ways the different cars "drive" with either transmission. Not the all-out hard numbers themselves.

Norm

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
'19 WRX, 6M (hers)
'01 Maxima 20AE, 5M (spare, winter driver)
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Obviously the newer car will outperform the older one in just about any measured performance category you can dream up, so it's more about how well these two cars can be equipped to match what you want from them. Do you really think you'd use or drive a S550 GT any differently than you would a V8 SN95?

I'm thinking on a "driver's attitude" level here, or how you react to the ways the different cars "drive" with either transmission. Not the all-out hard numbers themselves.

Norm

Nah Mr. Peterson, I wasn't comparing the performance of a 95 with a '17.
I was comparing the performance of a '17 with a manual and a '17 with an auto. I don't have any first hand experience with the new ones but it seems like the general consensus is that the autos are quicker than the manuals. It wasn't that way in 95.

Apprentice

Straight and level traffic driving - Auto
Driving on a hilly curvy road - Stick
Driving in Snow - Stick
Someone learning to drive - Auto

Young - Stick
Old - Auto
90lxwhite likes this.

1965 Mustang 289 Auto
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90lxwhite View Post
Nah Mr. Peterson, I wasn't comparing the performance of a 95 with a '17.
I was comparing the performance of a '17 with a manual and a '17 with an auto. I don't have any first hand experience with the new ones but it seems like the general consensus is that the autos are quicker than the manuals. It wasn't that way in 95.
I must admit I didn't think AT's were at any significant disadvantage in the mid 1990's. Unless the AODE's and 4R70's were particularly poorly suited to drag racing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb07GT View Post
Driving in Snow - Stick

Young - Stick
Old - Auto
Unless you mean "old at heart", I gotta call you on that last one.

Norm . . .

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
'19 WRX, 6M (hers)
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb07GT View Post
Driving in Snow - Stick

Young - Stick
Old - Auto

He nailed it.

SHELBY GT 350 Member

Stick or Automatic?

Quote:
I must admit I didn't think AT's were at any significant disadvantage in the mid 1990's. Unless the AODE's and 4R70's were particularly poorly suited to drag racing.

Unless you mean "old at heart", I gotta call you on that last one.

Norm . . .

Maybe not. But weren't they pretty dumbed down with the stock tune? Low and slow shifts? How about the aod vs a t5? The aod was horrible.

GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Up until automatics with more than 4 speeds came into common use, I thought that anybody the least bit serious about racing any automatic did either a shift kit or a torque converter or both. Separate from an axle gear swap.

My wife and I are both retired (in our late 60's). Even now, neither of us has any intention of shopping for a car with automatic. Just saying . . .

Norm

'19 WRX, 6M (hers)
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Stick or Automatic?

Quote:
Up until automatics with more than 4 speeds came into common use, I thought that anybody the least bit serious about racing any automatic did either a shift kit or a torque converter or both. Separate from an axle gear swap.

My wife and I are both retired (in our late 60's). Even now, neither of us has any intention of shopping for a car with automatic. Just saying . . .

Norm
Good thing y'all missed out on the AOD, yall would've hated it.
Y'all are hard core. How is the lack of manuals affecting your car shopping these days?

GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
At this point, it's nothing more than the way some cars "work". A way that happens to be the way we've come to expect all of our cars to work.

Our typical car buying cycle is probably longer than that of most folks (around 6.5 years) and the length of time we keep what we do buy is definitely longer (averaging a bit more than 14.5 years at this point), so shopping hasn't been too much of a hardship yet. But we have "jumped ship" at least a couple of times, once after Chevy stopped offering the 4M in their RWD intermediates (bought first Maxima) and again when Nissan dropped the MT in the Maxima line and went to 100% CVT fitment (that's what prompted us to get her the Subaru Legacy GT).

Norm

'19 WRX, 6M (hers)
GT Member

I've had both and in the S197 at least, the manual was at a significant disadvantage on the road, at least in the straight line dept. The wheelhop, tendency to just blow the tires off, rubbery shifter, occasionally crunchy gearchange and dancing rear axle made it a flawed exercise, needing some aftermarket help right out of the gate. The auto, at least the 13+ one, really just puts everything the tires' traction on street surfaces can provide right to the ground. 9 times out of 10, I'll holeshot a stick S197 with the auto, on the road.

On a really good day, the stick can have the edge at the dragstrip because the automatic's torque converter is too tight and costs the the car some jump down low in a high traction situation. You'll never miss a gear but, trying to get a decent 60 out of the stock converter is frustrating. Not wanting to open up my DD office car, I overcame that little flaw with a 100 shot of spray, right out of the hole. With that it 60s as good as the old manual car ever did, and wins downtrack too, obviously.
90lxwhite likes this.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Apprentice

I took a manual to Big Bear, CA & went on a back road tour with 8 other cars.
Almost never used the brakes, an all gear hour drive - memorable.

1965 Mustang 289 Auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page