LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie
S197 Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to RCasad
Unhappy Trouble Filling Up My 2005 Mustang

Hey guys,

I just bought a 2005 Mustang (used, obviously lol). After attempting to fill up the gas tank I'm extremely irritated. I'm having the issue where the pump kicks off and doesn't want to fill up by itself. Ive done a search here and found a few threads on the topic, but nothing recent, and everything eludes to taking it to the dealership to have the tank replaced under warranty. That being said, it's 7 years later and the Mustang is no longer under warranty. Is there any fix for me or am I SOL and going to have to suck it up and pay the dealership?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012
Apprentice

sounds crazy but flip the nozzle upside down as you fill up

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012
Apprentice

Most of the time your tank can get air and cause the pump to shut off happens quite often to be honest

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012
Apprentice

went through the same thing as you, also purchasing an 05 a few months back. I find flipping the nozzle upside down and not inserting it fully helps a lot. Hope it works for you
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFan101 View Post
sounds crazy but flip the nozzle upside down as you fill up

Seriously? I also just got a '05 GT and the first time it filled up great, drove a couple days, had maybe 4 gallons out of the tank and tried to fill it up again, wouldn't get more then .9 gallons into the tank and it started to spit out if I tried to put more in. I'm figuring for myself it was just a matter of air in the tank so I'm going to try to not top it off like that again.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012
Apprentice

yes sir it works! at least for me!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I have found the upside down thing works, but I have only had the issue on my truck, not on my car.

I will say that this also only ever happens at a very particular Speedway gas station right down the road from me. why one gas station would cause gas to spew all over the side of my Dodge but no other one would is a mystery I will likely go to my grave lacking the answer to, I suppose...

Matt

2006 GT - Vortech polished w/ intercooler, Eibach suspension, Hurst short-throw, some other goodies - tuned by Paul's High Performance. It moves...

and it collects dust admirably while parked for repairs in the garage...

SOLD - 1995 Black Mustang GT, AODE. Loved it, but I had to let it go...

mjmalegalsolutions.com
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012
PONY Member

lol you dont have to turn the nozzle completly upside down turning it sideways works just as well.

Mods: Magnaflow True Duals Exhaust with X-pipe, TruFiber Cobra Roadster Hood, Scott Drake Billet Hood Pins, black retro billet grille, Roush front fascia, Razzi rocker panels, Razzi rear valance, 18" Polished Bullitts, Quarter Window Louvers, Powered by Ford badges, 1969 pillar ornaments, GT Spoiler, Limo Tint, Painted Shelby stripes, 2011 GT New Take off leather seat skins, Tribar Pony floormats
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie
S197 Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to RCasad
Actually, I have tried turning it every angle you can imagine with no luck. I've only found one gas station that it doesn't happen (as often) with, it's an older Phillips 66, and the nozzles don't have a "spring" on them. I don't know how that would effect it. I'm going to try again flipping it upside down when I fill up tomorrow.
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Gas fillup

My 07 only gives me trouble if I go below half a tank,so I fill her up at that time no problems whatso ever.
Apprentice

I've found that some pumps just won't fill without kicking off repeatedly. Some pumps fill just fine. The trick is using different levels of insertion to find that happy spot with just enough air and not too much. Also, by not pulling the lever fully open, but locking it in the first notch usually helps it quite a bit.

Justin
Columbus, OH
'07 GT auto, Stage 3 Saleen Series VI blower @9.5lbs boost. LTs, MAC Boom Tubes, 1pc Driveshaft, Eaton posi.
Brenspeed Installed and Brenspeed Tuned
Best 1/4 mile is 11.42 @ 119. Driven Daily
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I have also found filling the fuel tank with the cars nose down hill slightly helps me. If the nose is up hill I can never get over a couple of gallons in it before it stops taking the fuel.
Rookie

I think we are all missing the point here........

Why the hell do we have to deal with this? It's asinine! Really? Ford could not have figured out the angle of the gas tank inlet?? This is a problem I would see a Pinto having in the 80s. NOT our 05-09 mustangs.

This is just One more ball Ford has dropped in engineering. And another SIMPLE one. Just like proper paint prep on our hoods.

And FYI, turning the nossle upside down or even sideways, we all run the risk of scratching our paint with the very unforgiving metal handle on the pump. Gee thanks Ford.

The true reason for this was a backroom deal with BP gas. There is a reason there is a disclaimer that recommends only BP gas behind our gas caps. At least the sticker from the factory is still on mine.
Using BP gas is supposedly the only company that will not corrode the measuring devices to our fuel and spedometers on our dash.
This is why the gas tank inlet only works perfectly with the pumps at BP gas stations!

Once again, thanks Ford! I do not have a BP station on my way to work. I'm so glad Ford is looking out for the customer SO WELL.

Vista Blue 2006 Mustang GT: BBK CAI, intake and plenum covers, FRPP GTA axle-back exhaust, Bama 87tune, (mystery) lowering springs, MGP red caliper covers, drilled and slotted rotors, Quarter Marker light tint, and stock 18x8.5" FanBlade wheels.
Rookie

According to the very few things I have read from Ford on the BP subject, it's just that BP gave them some money to put the logo and "Ford recommends" on the gas cap. They did not design anything around it; it was simply a way to raise a few extra bucks. If Ford actually designed the cars to work only with BP, that would lead to a massive anti-trust lawsuit, and that would probably destroy the Mustang brand.
It would be self-defeating anyway because not all BP stations use the same pumps, and many non-BP stations use BP gas.

There was a recall (I believe) for this for a sort-of fix, so it should be covered by the dealership even past the warranty. Try making a video of the problem happening at a few different gas pumps (ones close to the dealer would be ideal), so they can watch the problem happen.

The difficulty with this is that the design problem is inside the gas tank, and that tank was designed never to be removed or modified. Anyway, find the recall or TSB, and let Ford deal with it.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris45215 View Post
According to the very few things I have read from Ford on the BP subject, it's just that BP gave them some money to put the logo and "Ford recommends" on the gas cap. They did not design anything around it; it was simply a way to raise a few extra bucks. If Ford actually designed the cars to work only with BP, that would lead to a massive anti-trust lawsuit, and that would probably destroy the Mustang brand.
It would be self-defeating anyway because not all BP stations use the same pumps, and many non-BP stations use BP gas.

There was a recall (I believe) for this for a sort-of fix, so it should be covered by the dealership even past the warranty. Try making a video of the problem happening at a few different gas pumps (ones close to the dealer would be ideal), so they can watch the problem happen.

The difficulty with this is that the design problem is inside the gas tank, and that tank was designed never to be removed or modified. Anyway, find the recall or TSB, and let Ford deal with it.
--------------------

For me, its more than coincidence that no other gas pumps except BP, in the greater Orlando area, work to fill up my gas, without awkwardly turning the bump, and risking scratching my paint.

And what is TSB?

Vista Blue 2006 Mustang GT: BBK CAI, intake and plenum covers, FRPP GTA axle-back exhaust, Bama 87tune, (mystery) lowering springs, MGP red caliper covers, drilled and slotted rotors, Quarter Marker light tint, and stock 18x8.5" FanBlade wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
fill up , gas , tank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page