Which is the better cold air intake? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
S197 Member

Which is the better cold air intake?

Is Airraid or ford racing cold air intake better?advice?

2007 G5 alloy Premium vert GT. 4.6V8 5spd Black leather int with dove Shaker 1000 My colour dash Sirius GT appearance pkg Light bar Sequentials Shelby wheels/tires Shelby splitter tinted lights Bullitt strut brace Billett interior trim Rear blackout panel 3D carbon side scoops windscreen,flowmaster american thunder axel backs Bama tune Sctx4 tuner JLT CAI series 3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012
PONY Member

Define better please.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

2013 Ford Explorer Sport
[SOLD] 2012 Mustang GT (disappointed)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012
PONY Member
S197 Member

Both are made from high quality parts that won't get heat soaked, and the filter is well shielded from the engine bay. With a tune on either , I believe the Airraid can net more HP than the FRPP. The FRPP requires a tune.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

2008 Metallic Alloy GT Convertible Premium
Show : black top| 18" bullitt polished wheels| CDC light bar and black billet replacement grilles | black/amber corner lights | GT500 rear spoiler| AH chin spoiler
Go:
FRPP CAI with StangHi tunes | Kooks LT's | FR500 axle back | Steeda Sport springs | Koni STR.t struts/shocks | J&M camber plates | UMI adj. panhard bar | LCA relocation brackets | GT500 LCA's | Hurst Billet shifter | 3.73 gear | FRPP axle girdle | Baer Rotors and Pads

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by careyk View Post
Is Airraid or ford racing cold air intake better?advice?
careyk,

We've had great results from both of these intakes. They are both top competitors in the Mustang business. We've used AIRAID on majority of our project cars for a few reasons. Airaid Cold Air Intake Systems are computer designed to give your engine maximum air flow, which translates to more horsepower, torque and better fuel efficiency. This Airaid CAI kit completely replaces your Mustangs restrictive stock factory air box and paper filter element with a high flow Airaid filter assembly for an increase of 15+ horsepower and 11+ LBS of torque at the rear wheels.

I honestly don't think you can wrong, this is a very opinionated question. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions.

- Dan

Dan Bailer | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012
PONY Member

Do your research... All of the truth is not coming out in this thread so far.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

2013 Ford Explorer Sport
[SOLD] 2012 Mustang GT (disappointed)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I don't think there is such a thing as better,they all work just the same,it's what you think looks good under your hood.I have the FRPP cause it looks clean,not the most power but i like the clean look.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0249.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	333.1 KB
ID:	161418  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I got my FRPP CAI with a Brenspeed tune. I love the look and have had 0 issues in almost 3 years on the car. I think it is good because it looks like it belongs there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mustag Eng 007 (Medium).jpg
Views:	588
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	161419  

Chuck
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012
PONY Member

Liked my Airaid before I went SC. The dyno with no other mods showed me at 264 with the Airaid; with an automatic.
Do not know what it was before.
So I don't know if it really gave me any gains. It seemed like it may have. It did make the engine sound alot better, and it seemed to have better throttle response.

Fit and finish were super. Looks better than most if not all CAI out there.

You can get a tune latter if you wish and get some more ponies.

2008 GT Premium, MagnaCharger TVS 1900, Brembo Brakes, Whiteline Watts Link, Koni Yellows, Steeda Sport Springs,
J&M Extreme LCA, BMR Relo Brackets, FR500S Axlebacks, TCI Shifter
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012
PONY Member

I had a 06 GT and bought the ford racing intake. After just about 10,000km the filter looked like it saw 100,000km - and I look after my stuff, keeping it clean. I know they're popular with the "aftermarket performance" guru's but after everything I've read and know now I think they're pretty much show pieces. You will benefit more from just a tune with the stock airbox than adding a crappy completely exposed air filter. NO, not everyone will agree but have fun spending your money (wisely)!

Only sales people and hungry hungry hippos will go on and on about how AMAZING the difference is with this INSTANT power adder. It literally adds 5-10hp MAX and your ass will NOT notice that difference. And I firmly believe that they don't filter air as good as a airbox does. I looked in my inlet tube two years later and the ford racing paper filter was deteriorating, I could see dust and other smaller particles on the inner sidewall of the intake tube. Total garbage. Looks wise, yes, great, it's "cool" that you can rattle off all the things you have done to your car...tune intake exhaust but when you lay it out flat, it doesn't amount to huge changes in performance.

After you buy the intake, go to the track and do some runs stock, then with a tune, then with a tune/intake combo. You will gain "maybe" .3-.5 seconds and of that improvement, 99% of it will be from the tune.

Not everyone agrees with me on this but you'd be better off putting your money into suspension components than an intake. The tune is important, the intake not so much. Alot of it is hype. I'm in a 2012 now and run just a tune and I'm sticking with the stock airbox. I'm sure the engine will thank me for it later.

It is better to remain silent and be thought of a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
PONY Member

I would forget about intake altogether and buy an aluminum driveshaft. Money much better spent!

It is better to remain silent and be thought of a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
PONY Member

On my previous Mustang, I had a FRPP CAI with a Brenspeed tune. I loved it, but any reviews I saw said it lacked in the HP department compared to many others. I mostly went with that one for the factory look vs the aftermarket look. The fitment was great.

My only personal problem with it was that the filter was not washable, and had to be replaced when needed. It gets even worse as a dealership wants close to 80 bucks for it so I was "forced" to drive down ~45 into CT to Mustangs Unlimited to get a new filter for ~20. I've since noticed that one of our site vendors (AFM i beleive) now carries a washable filter for it.

07 Mustang GT Metallic Alloy.
FRPP CAI. SLP Loudmouths.
Roush Front Bumper w/ chin spoiler, Roush Hood scoop, Scott Drake Hood pins, Roush 1/4 window louvers, Billet fuel door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page