Need Help With Sales Tax - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTStang90 View Post
I have to agree with the others here. Take your paperwork to the DMV and get it sorted. That will work better. In the meantime enjoy your ride
Actually did go to the DMV and explained my situation to them. Their reply was, "You're going to have to call them (Treasury). We don't deal with anything like this. NEXT PLEASE!"
So after waiting 20 minutes in line to find out I've wasted my time, I went home and called the Treasury. Long story short, NJ doesn't know the value of any car bought so they always assume book value price (she told me so many people try to fraudulently scam out on taxes by reporting lower values so they are cracking down). And told me just to send my documents showing the tax paid, and the list value of the car...sign the back stating all information is true, and everything should be fine. So all this worrying for nothing

2007 GT Performance White
Pype Bomb Axleback
JLT Series 3 CAI
Bama 93 Hybrid Tune
Steeda Underdrive Pulleys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianwu View Post
Actually did go to the DMV and explained my situation to them. Their reply was, "You're going to have to call them (Treasury). We don't deal with anything like this. NEXT PLEASE!"
So after waiting 20 minutes in line to find out I've wasted my time, I went home and called the Treasury. Long story short, NJ doesn't know the value of any car bought so they always assume book value price (she told me so many people try to fraudulently scam out on taxes by reporting lower values so they are cracking down). And told me just to send my documents showing the tax paid, and the list value of the car...sign the back stating all information is true, and everything should be fine. So all this worrying for nothing
What a PITA...........

Waiting on 2019 GT500

2012 GT Vert Brembo - Stock-ish

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 406rwhp/522rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?

2007 GT-TSR/Stops/Turns/Custom Everything/3.4L Whipple Crusher/1000hp SOLD
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Remember, you are most likely not paying a "Sales Tax", but a "Sales and Use Tax".

Your state wants the money for the use of the item. For example, I live in PA and DE has no sales tax. If I go to DE and buy a TV, PA says I should pay the use tax on that TV to them. Realistically noone pays this especially if you pay cash for the TV, but by law you are supposed to file it.

It just so happens that in your case, it is a recorded transaction that they can trace. Years ago people used to lie about the price of a used car to reduce the tax. Now they are using the book value to calculate the tax instead of the purchase price.

2016 GT/CS. Automatic, convertible. So far 100% stock!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page