help me please im desperate! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

help me please im desperate!

i have a manual 2006 mustang GT. For the past 2 or 3 years it has begun to give me horrible hip pains in my shifting leg. i cant even drive it much anymore. Ive always felt that my clutch pedal is way stiffer than it should be but i cant find anyone with one to compare it to. I did take it to the dealer but all they did was take it around the parking lot and said "oh yeah man thats normal, we get that complaint alot about these cars" so i went on my way. But im not so sure anymore. i did meet 120-130lb 25 year old girl who owns a mustang just like mine and she said her clutch pedal was so light she was surprised at how light it was. Im a pretty big guy to, i lift wieghts often and have been for years, so im sure its not a strength issue. ive driven standard cars for the past 10 years and never once had to even consider the force needed to depress the clutch down until i got this car. i mean with most cars the wieght of my leg on the pedal alone would be enough to press it down most of the way but with my clutch it hardly moves. Does this sound right to anyone? anything positive would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012
Rookie
4.6L Member

The S197 has a hydraulic clutch if I'm not mistaken? It shouldn't be that stiff. My Cobra is cable link and though it's the stiffest clutch I've ever had to put up with I can't imagine ever getting any physical complications from it. Maybe it's ten years of bad driving habits catching up to you? Do you stuff like keep it in first with the clutch pressed down at stops or do you just shift into neutral and brake like you should? Maybe you drive way too often? I'm not trying to be accusative or a jerk, just trying to help you figure out what's up

1999 SVT Cobra (4.6L NA 4V)
Stage 3 clutch kit
Flowmaster mufflers
2.5 inch pipes
8.8 solid live axle
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012
GT Member
S197 Member

Definitely sounds like there's a problem. I've had 3 05+ GT MTs now and it doesn't take nearly any effort for me to press the clutch. Might want to get it looked at.

2019 GT - Velocity Blue with Black Accent Package

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012
GT Member
S197 Member

double post, sorry

2019 GT - Velocity Blue with Black Accent Package
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Assuming it has a stock OEM clutch, I'd suspect a problem with the clutch slave cylinder..
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012
Apprentice

my 05 mustang gt cluch is hard to push down all the way... My dad dislikes driving my car for that reason.

05mustangGT
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

it's hard to say if what you are feeling is normal or not. Compared to my wife's Hyundai, the Mustang has a firm clutch pedal. It takes more force to depress the clutch in my 2008 mustang then it does any other "regular" car I've ever driven. Having said that, the other cars I've driven haven't had 300 HP V8's under the hood. The clutch has to be stronger to withstand the torque our V8 engines put out. Stronger clamping force on the clutch means a firmer pedal feel unless you start going with a multiple disc clutch.

2008 Mustang GT Deluxe, Black, Manual Transmission, Black Cloth Interior
Show: Katzkin Leather Interior, Matte Black 10" Stripes, NXT Step Performance Axlebacks, Pypes M80 Mufflers (mid mounted), CDC Sequential Tail Lights, 14" Shorty Antenna, Ford OEM Plenum Cover, Ford Semigloss Black Painted Valve Covers, Leather Wrapped OEM Steering Wheel
Go: Airaid Race CAI, BAMA Tune, J&M Lower Control Arms, JLT Oil Separator
Coming Soon: Motive 4.10 gears
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I bet you drive with the seat far back. I'm 5'11" but I still slide the seat almost all the way forward. I like to wedge myself in tight. Anyway what I'm trying to say is that I can pretty much work the clutch with just some ankle action, I don't use my hip at all. I have heard the hip complaint a few times myself though.

Ford-a-Tude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page