I don't see many 05-09s with plasti dipped rims! Well here's some pics of mine! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I don't see many 05-09s with plasti dipped rims! Well here's some pics of mine!

Hey guys, it's been a while since I last posted on here. I'd say about 5 months or so, so it's good to be back with my Mustang in working order (that's another thread though). In the meanwhile, I decided to do my rims to see how I'd like black rims. And I must say, I'm very pleased.

I also have a quick question, if anyone can help me out. Well, we were in a rush while plasti dipping my rims and they still came out very well, with just a tiny bit (like little particles) of chrome showing when the sun hits it. I want to fix it this Sunday with the rest of the plasti dip I have left (2 full cans and 2 half full cans). Would I have to peel off the plasti dip and spray my rim again, or could I just spray over the previously applied plasti dip on the rim and have it cover up the last coat? The reason I'm asking this is because earlier today we were dealing with a bad coat we did the day before (didn't do enough coats and sprayed it too far away, made it look gritty) and when we tried to spray over it to make it look shinier and smoother, it wouldn't smoothen out so we just ripped it off and started all over again. I just don't want to waste some plasti dip only to have to take it all off and perhaps even buy some more cans.

Oh, and here's the pics! I'm on an app so I don't know how it uploaded all of them yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That good ol' red (Boss 302), white (GT/CS) and blue (5.0)!
2008 Mustang GT/CS: 5 speed | FRPP 4.10 Gears | Bama 93H Tune | Magnaflow Magnapacks | Bassani O/R X Pipe | Airaid CAI | MGW | J&M LCAs | Saleens 19x8.5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012
PONY Member
S197 Member

I think you have to take it off. Not sure it works so well on dry plasti dip.

2007 Grabber Orange GT Premium, 5 sp Manual,CDC Sequentials, 18 inch Polished wheels, Corsa Xtremes,FRPP Suspension,BMR Adj. PHB and Brace,Hurst Comp. Plus Billet STS, Steeda UDP's, JLT CAI
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Well I suppose one day when I have holidays off again, I can reapply it. I'm not gonna worry about it for a while then. Thanks dude.

2008 Mustang GT/CS: 5 speed | FRPP 4.10 Gears | Bama 93H Tune | Magnaflow Magnapacks | Bassani O/R X Pipe | Airaid CAI | MGW | J&M LCAs | Saleens 19x8.5

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012
PONY Member

i just plasti dipped mine to, it turned out badass but same, i have a few spots here and there showing chrome but nothing to bad
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012
Rookie

I really like the chrome wheels - they look great. Did you get all that black stuff off now? That looked awful.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

It looked better than I thought it would. Definitely like the chrome better though. Gloss black or no black for me.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012
GT Member

Looks good!
You should make that second pic your new avatar
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012
PONY Member

You can just spray right over, but you will have to spray the whole rim again and not just that one spot. I have also seen a video of the guy from dipyourcar use paint thinner to even off any rough spots then sprayed it again to fix the issue.

I've had mine painted since July I think and its held up pretty well so far. But yes check out the dipyourcar website for tips and all that jazz.

09 V6 Premium, Pony Pkg. Grabber Orange, True duals H-Pipe with GT Takeoff mufflers, Rear deck blackout vinyl, Sequential tail lights, Black Pony Package Mustang Billet Grille, SCT SF3/X3 tuner with Bama 93 race and Tunable Induction "Grabber Orange" CAI..... with more to come
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012
PONY Member

you can make it gloss black with their plasti dip glossifier, it looks pretty legit. I think chrome on mustangs are gross so im pretty much spraying this stuff over anything shiny lol maybe its just cuz im white..
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I'll be getting glossy black rims eventually when I want to get wider tires. I was going to get AMR rims but after plasti dipping these bullitt rims, I dont know whether to go AMR or Bullitts again.

Thanks gt1120, I'll do that right away!

And I'm definitely going to have to check out that website. I didnt even know they had one.

I dont think it's because you're white, because I'm a mutt and I'm not a fan of chrome either. xD Especially when I'm trying to get a black/white contrast thing going on.

MACH I Member

Garage
So, how is this stuff holding up to daily wear and tear? Does it peal off easily? I have some SVT GT500 wheels that I want all flat/matte black and this plastidip stuff may do the trick, if it can hold up.

IF MY CAR WENT AS FAST AS THE MONEY I SPEND ON IT, I'D WIN EVERY RACE
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Plasti dip's worst enemy is friction, but I've seen people with plasti dipped rims for months straight so I think it holds up pretty well. I usually have to use my knife to poke a hole in order to peel it off.

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikapp View Post
So, how is this stuff holding up to daily wear and tear? Does it peal off easily? I have some SVT GT500 wheels that I want all flat/matte black and this plastidip stuff may do the trick, if it can hold up.
Like I said above I've had mine on since July or August and it still has yet to peel off(and yes this is my DD). Also tis winter time up here in the great white north and still holding strong, as with the stripes on my hood.

09 V6 Premium, Pony Pkg. Grabber Orange, True duals H-Pipe with GT Takeoff mufflers, Rear deck blackout vinyl, Sequential tail lights, Black Pony Package Mustang Billet Grille, SCT SF3/X3 tuner with Bama 93 race and Tunable Induction "Grabber Orange" CAI..... with more to come
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page