How to fix gas pedal lag? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

How to fix gas pedal lag?

My new to me 05 has about a half inch of freeplay before it gains any RPMs. I read something about a fix by putting tape on the assembly somewhere to keep the pedal closer to where it needs to be? Does anyone have any pics of this? Thanks

05 GT auto
4.10s FRPP
JLT stage 3 cold air
93 octane SCT tune by Brenspeed
Mac Axle backs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012
Banned

I've not heard of that one before with the tape (doesn't mean someone didn't do it).

The throttle on these cars is drive-by-wire and your throttle response curve can be completely remapped in the tune.

From the factory the pedal position vs. throttle percent is not linear. It's more of a graduated scale that looks a lot like an exponential curve we all studied in high school algebra.

In other words, 10% pedal position might = 5% throttle, 50% pedal position might equal 30% throttle, 80% pedal position might = 90% throttle and so on. And it's done that way intentionally to keep people less experienced with big power cars from getting themselves in trouble (makes the car more predictable).

But again, the whole thing can be re-mapped with a custom tune. For instance you could in theory have an on/off switch where 1% pedal position = 100% throttle. Driveability would be ****, but it is possible.

I have had my throttle curve re-mapped as more or less a linear slope where 10%=10%, 50=50 and so on. Better "perceived" throttle response than factory and still good pedal modulation for taking high speed corners.

You could even go the other way with it and have a really touchy pedal with say 10% pedal = 20% throttle, 40% pedal = 60% throttle, 80% = 80%, and well you get the idea.

-HD

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdown View Post
I've not heard of that one before with the tape (doesn't mean someone didn't do it).

The throttle on these cars is drive-by-wire and your throttle response curve can be completely remapped in the tune.

From the factory the pedal position vs. throttle percent is not linear. It's more of a graduated scale that looks a lot like an exponential curve we all studied in high school algebra.

In other words, 10% pedal position might = 5% throttle, 50% pedal position might equal 30% throttle, 80% pedal position might = 90% throttle and so on. And it's done that way intentionally to keep people less experienced with big power cars from getting themselves in trouble (makes the car more predictable).

But again, the whole thing can be re-mapped with a custom tune. For instance you could in theory have an on/off switch where 1% pedal position = 100% throttle. Driveability would be ****, but it is possible.

I have had my throttle curve re-mapped as more or less a linear slope where 10%=10%, 50=50 and so on. Better "perceived" throttle response than factory and still good pedal modulation for taking high speed corners.

You could even go the other way with it and have a really touchy pedal with say 10% pedal = 20% throttle, 40% pedal = 60% throttle, 80% = 80%, and well you get the idea.

-HD
Thanks for the reply. There are a couple of big threads about guys adjusting the brushes or adding tape to get rid of the dead travel. Like with my car I would say the first half inch of the pedal will not register with the computer. This cannot be fixed with a tune or reprogramming it because the first half inch of travel there is no contact made with the brushes. Why couldn't ford have just used a good old throttle cable?

05 GT auto
4.10s FRPP
JLT stage 3 cold air
93 octane SCT tune by Brenspeed
Mac Axle backs

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012
Rookie

Send a message via Yahoo to JPhilBradley
I just learned something. I did not know that you can tune the accelerator pedal to throttle body relationship like that. Makes perfect sense with the drive by wire setup, I had just never heard of it.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Mines a little bit like that, not sure if it's a half inch though. I got used to it, wasn't worth messing with..
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012
PONY Member

I've seen this problem several times and experienced it on my own Explorer 4.6L.
First I updated the PCM to the latest level which helped a bit but not until I cleaned the throttle body, cleared the KAM and relearned the idle strategy was it fixed 100%.

It literally had a 1.5 - 2 second delay and was no fun to drive but runs great now.

1999 V6

2000 GT

One's Nice, One's Nasty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page