4.0 - 3.8 comparison - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to Crazy001
4.0 - 3.8 comparison

I have an '05 Mustang V6, and I was wondering how the 4.0 sourced from the Ranger and Explorer compares to the old 3.8 they put in the previous generation of mustangs. Is there a big difference in the way they drive? Thanks!

2011 Mustang GT Premium,

Gone, but not forgotten:

2005 Mustang V6 Premium, traded 3/2007
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy001
I have an '05 Mustang V6, and I was wondering how the 4.0 sourced from the Ranger and Explorer compares to the old 3.8 they put in the previous generation of mustangs. Is there a big difference in the way they drive? Thanks!
the 3.8L is rougher but has more torque at lower RPM's and is more reliable (although the 4.0L has been upgraded for quite a while, and the newer versions seem pretty reliable.

the 4.0L makes 14 more hp, currently, depending on the source, and can rev higher.

The 3.8L has more power parts available. There are 3.8L engines running 400+ hp.

There are a few cams available for the 4.0L, but modifying an OHV pushrod engine is always cheaper and easier than a DOHC engine.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005
mbhmustang1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscoyote
the 3.8L is rougher but has more torque at lower RPM's and is more reliable (although the 4.0L has been upgraded for quite a while, and the newer versions seem pretty reliable.

the 4.0L makes 14 more hp, currently, depending on the source, and can rev higher.

The 3.8L has more power parts available. There are 3.8L engines running 400+ hp.

There are a few cams available for the 4.0L, but modifying an OHV pushrod engine is always cheaper and easier than a DOHC engine.

I am pretty sure the 05 v6 stang is SOHC. Could be wrong.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhmustang1998
I am pretty sure the 05 v6 stang is SOHC. Could be wrong.
You're right, it's a SOHC, which makes even less tq at lower rpms than DOHC.

I keep thinkin' of that 250hp DOHC 3.5L they promised at 2 years ago . ..

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005
PONY Member
S197 Member

Per the 03 Mustang brochure: 3.8L [email protected] rpm, 225 ftlb [email protected] rpm. Per the 05 brochure : 4.0L SOHC [email protected], 240 ftlb [email protected] So the 05 makes more hp and torque, the 700 rpm difference wouldn't be noticed by most drivers. Personally I've driven alot of Explorers with the 4.0L engine can attest to how quickly these heavy vehicles move out. Whereas the 3.8L would feel like its about to shake itself apart at higher rpms, the 4.0L is smooth at all rpms. The 4.0L with a manual trans would be a fun and affordable car. Plus the 4.0L makes about as much power as the old venerable 5.0L V8 in the older Mustangs (95 and older). All the problems with the 4.0L have been ironed out, we never see any 04 4.0L in my shop with engine problems.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005

I have an 05 V6 and last night I raced a 94 GT and he got beat by a good two lengths. So I think they are a little faster than the old 6's.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007
V6 Member
S197 Member

4.0 is better

I am really impressed with the 4.0. I have an 05 V6, and embarass so many turboed ricers, and V8 Camero's. Tonight I just got back from beating a 96 Mustang Cobra, a 01 GT, and a new 350Z. And don't nobody say they didn't know how to drive...they each had plenty of chances to get it right. I am more than impressed with this new generation, and so are people staring at my tail lights.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to Crazy001
Well, I'll never say that the 4.0 is underpowered...but it has nothing on a '96 Cobra.

A couple of years ago I drove around a '96 Cobra for a summer, and I was impressed. Don't get me wrong, it was the most uncomfortable car I've ever driven, but that thing had POWER. Not worlds away from the 4.0, but definitely quite a bit more.

combined with the fact that our mustangs have a torque limiter in first gear....should be no contest with a Cobra

That's okay though...I like having fun with the ricers too!!!

2011 Mustang GT Premium,

Gone, but not forgotten:

2005 Mustang V6 Premium, traded 3/2007
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy001 View Post
Well, I'll never say that the 4.0 is underpowered...but it has nothing on a '96 Cobra.

A couple of years ago I drove around a '96 Cobra for a summer, and I was impressed. Don't get me wrong, it was the most uncomfortable car I've ever driven, but that thing had POWER. Not worlds away from the 4.0, but definitely quite a bit more.

combined with the fact that our mustangs have a torque limiter in first gear....should be no contest with a Cobra

That's okay though...I like having fun with the ricers too!!!
What! No drifting? No burnouts? No powerslides?
V6 Member
S197 Member

Maybe his had high miles...I'm sure there are plenty of excuses. I had my doubts at first, had to ask the guy if it really was a cobra. But yeah, even when he would puss out off the line and then try to get me by surprise, I'd catch him. Definalty did beat the cobra though, but remeber the damn thing is 12 years old, I'm 2.
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I like my 4.0L v6 2005 'Stang. Not saying its the fastest thing to hit the road lately but stock it performs well and folks around here will tell you that with a few mods you can really release its pent-up power.

I'm not surprised that you guys are beating v8's with your v6's. A buddy of mine has a '98 Mustang GT Convertible and i've beat him a couple times in my v6 Mustang. His car has balls but I overtake him in 3rd gear and its all downhill from there. Of course, if we're talking max speed he's got me licked with my speed limiter supposedly set at 113 (never been going that fast to know if its true) Whereas he's supposedly hit speeds up to 140mph before.

He's thinking of trading in his '98 for an 05-06 but cant decide on the v6 or GT. I keep telling him "go GT, go GT!" but then the other side of me keeps telling him "go v6 so we can mod together!"

Black 2005 Mustang v6, 5 speed, IUP, EUP and Leather.

Razzi 1/4 window scoops, Mustang GT Sway Bars, Flowmaster American Thunder Single Exhaust, Clear Front Turn Signal Lenses, Demolet CAI, X-cal2 91 tune, Hurst Comp/Plus Shifter, FRPP T-Lock, Ford 3.73 gears
V6 Member
S197 Member

Everyone keeps talking about a speed limiter. I see different speeds too, but my V6 has wraped my speedo. It took a long ass time after about 110, but I was well past the 120 mark. Maybe 125-130ish at most. That was on a windy highway near town. What's up with this confusion. After this though I found out that the 05-06 V6 u-joints are rated for 115, so I keep under that now. Wouldn't want a driveling sticking the pavement at 120! YIKES!
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I've never been going as fast as they claim the limiter is set at (113mph) but rumor around is that it is so. A custom tune can remove the speed limiter with ease though.

Black 2005 Mustang v6, 5 speed, IUP, EUP and Leather.

Razzi 1/4 window scoops, Mustang GT Sway Bars, Flowmaster American Thunder Single Exhaust, Clear Front Turn Signal Lenses, Demolet CAI, X-cal2 91 tune, Hurst Comp/Plus Shifter, FRPP T-Lock, Ford 3.73 gears
V6 Member
S197 Member

My car hasn't been touched performance wise, and I can get it to 120 no problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page