radar detectors - Page 9 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
V6 Member
S197 Member

In Arid-zona PD still regularly uses K band. Many departments also have units equipped with Ka. Of course the big push here in the Metropolitan areas is photo radar. They're putting up fixed units at lots of intersections to watch for red light runners and now also speeders. Oh and up in North Snottsdale they just started using fixed photo radar on the freeway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj_cinci
Some questions,

Is there any use anywhere in the US for the X and K bands?

What good does POP do? I know it's reacting to a 'meeting' cop car sending radar bursts into meeting traffic getting their speed... how often does a cop turn around? Is it Ka band?

I'm tired of the X and K alerts, and the POPs too... there is no way (Ihope) I'm gonna meet a cop car on the interstate... but then again the POP tells you there is a cop around somewhere... interstate or not...

Why do I sometimes get a K or POP alert just before being hit by laser?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

Cool... guess I'll have to turn it back on then if I ever make it down there...

KJ, poorer but happier

Thanks to:
Modular Depot
Fox Lake Racing
Tunable Induction
Power House 411
Sun Coast Creations
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj_cinci
Some questions,

Is there any use anywhere in the US for the X and K bands?

What good does POP do? I know it's reacting to a 'meeting' cop car sending radar bursts into meeting traffic getting their speed... how often does a cop turn around? Is it Ka band?

I'm tired of the X and K alerts, and the POPs too... there is no way (Ihope) I'm gonna meet a cop car on the interstate... but then again the POP tells you there is a cop around somewhere... interstate or not...

Why do I sometimes get a K or POP alert just before being hit by laser?

Thanks!
we have one X-band radar gun in our dept. the admin keeps the calibration up on it, and we can "sign it out," but no one uses it for fear of thier testicles falling off... all of our units have instant on Ka. we also have several LIDAR units (laser) that can be signed out as well. laser is only good for stationary on highways basically, and it is tedious to use. i hate it. you cant use it while moving due to the precise target area that it has to be used on. using it moving would be like leaning out the window trying to shoot cars as you are driving. basically, not possible. K band is still popular though, especially among smaller depts that cant afford newer radars. im not sure what you mean by POP. i used to have a radar detector (post copitis) and used to get those same K band alerts when hit by a laser. also used to get false laser alerts when i drove by the airport. dont know what caused either one.

2006 Tungsten GT 5 speed -Hurst | C & L CAI, | Predator running 91 torque tune (91 race for track)-BAMA. | MAC Boomtubes | FRPP 4.10s|Kaenan 3in cowl hood.

2006 F150 Supercrew Lariat 4x4 Black- 5.4, Hellbent Steel 2.5 level with 35x12.5x20 toyo m/ts on blk XD Hoss wheels, roll up tonneau, Gotts CAI, predator 91 performance tune.

Wifes Ride: 2013 Explorer XLT 2.0 Ecoboost. Stock as stock can be, but hey... on the bright side... she has a turbo!

SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

POP is the burst that randomly (?) is sent out from the dash mounted units reading out the speed of meeting traffic.

Me too have gotten a couple laser alerts around the airport. It seems to be when aircraft land, I'm guessing it's reacting to the radar altimeter even though it's not laser. We have no laser equipment in the aircrafts...

KJ, poorer but happier

Thanks to:
Modular Depot
Fox Lake Racing
Tunable Induction
Power House 411
Sun Coast Creations

One of the most usefull things I have read on the this forum, should be a stickey! Great info guys.
PONY Member
S197 Member

As far as I know there is only one company that make a POP radar gun. M.P.H., anyway, it turns the radar diode on and off in a short burst, .67 milliseconds. Two things. 1. It turns on and off so fast that most detectors can't pick it up. 2. I have read the manual and this is the funny thing, it says not to write tickets based on this reading but rather to put the Radar unit in a on mode to measure the speed over a distnace. POP only tells the user the speed of the fastest car in a general area and as of yet I have seen no tickets written on this information alone.

Maybe one of the officer on the forum can tell us more??? Not sure why they couldn't just write the ticket based on the POP.

KJ, I turn POP mode off in the Cincy area, no one in OHIO that I know off has POP, could be wrong though. The thing of it is, a detector has to “sweep” very fast to catch POP and therefore has less time to weed out false signals thus falsing more often. Just because your detector goes off, doesn’t mean that someone is using POP in the area. BTW. sweep is the rate at which a detector scans all the frequencies that radar units are transmitting. Kind of like a scanner for police and fire signals.

As for laser falsing, I see a lot of it around airport runways, not sure what the source is but very common. The frequency of a laser gun is in the Infared range, so there are some things that can set it off. I have seen old red neon lights set off laser alert. Also, if the unit is dropped a lot it would start falsing more often.

You can see the project at Grassroots Motorsports
SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

Ben,

Thanks for the explanation on POP. I think Woodlawn has it... they have the 'gun' mounted on the dash, and I get a POP about 5 secs before I meet them...

I turned X and K off, that should be okay around here right?

The modern aircraft has a radar altimiter sendinga signal from the belly/nose to the ground for a read out (as oposed to the regular altimeters working with airpreassure)... that is the only thinig I can imagine could give out the signal from the aircraft. Then what the airport has is another story...?? I have only gotten the warning while an aircraft is landing that's why I think they're it...?? Same spot no aircraft no warning...

KJ, poorer but happier

Thanks to:
Modular Depot
Fox Lake Racing
Tunable Induction
Power House 411
Sun Coast Creations
PONY Member
S197 Member

DON'T TURN K OFF! The two most common guns are K and KA. X, is still used in very limited numbers in OHIO, NJ, & South Carolina, and then maybe some limited small jursdictions. The problem with X is that it is a very wide beam, and very dated technology... None of the Radar manufacturers are producing X, Most are KA. I turn X off because I have yet to witness someone using X.

As for the laser, I disagree, I think the source is coming from the runway or airport itself. Their is a place outside of Atlanta where I get the falsing 24 hours a day no matter what and it just so happens that I am sitting at the end of the runway with or without a plane.

SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

Thanks Ben,

K is back on...

No idea on the airport issue, I think the tower has some range meassuring equipment in addition to the radar they use. That could be it, since I drive under the runway on my way to the GO and training it misses me. Then when I get out I'm still to low for it but it might be it's reflecting from the aircraft landing hence giving me the alert only when somebody is landing...?? It might be part of the ILS CAT III C auto land system?

KJ, poorer but happier

Thanks to:
Modular Depot
Fox Lake Racing
Tunable Induction
Power House 411
Sun Coast Creations
GT Member
S197 Member

how long has POP been out? never heard of that unless its got a few other names. also, from my understanding, KA radars are also referred to as Instant On Pulse technology which i take to mean that the radar pulses its signal to become more difficult for detectors to pick up. you also get a reading the instant it turns on. 0 lag time. this was a problem with X band. the one gun we have access to (that hasnt be used in I cant tell you how long) does have a delay before the user gets a reading. something to do with how the signal travels. K has a similar problem but not near as bad. I do know that i stop quite a few vehicles running detectors (newer detectors too) and the drivers tell me that the detector either never went off or barley gave an alert. i have an MPH Bee 2 in my unit that is a KA unit. maybe the pulse is what makes it hard for detectors to detect. i donno. POP may be the same thing, just newer version, sounds like it works the same. again, i donno. just speculating......

2006 Tungsten GT 5 speed -Hurst | C & L CAI, | Predator running 91 torque tune (91 race for track)-BAMA. | MAC Boomtubes | FRPP 4.10s|Kaenan 3in cowl hood.

2006 F150 Supercrew Lariat 4x4 Black- 5.4, Hellbent Steel 2.5 level with 35x12.5x20 toyo m/ts on blk XD Hoss wheels, roll up tonneau, Gotts CAI, predator 91 performance tune.

Wifes Ride: 2013 Explorer XLT 2.0 Ecoboost. Stock as stock can be, but hey... on the bright side... she has a turbo!
GT Member
S197 Member

also, in reference to the airport issue, i have learned in my years as a cop that many places, such as airports run photobeam security perimeter sensors to detect intruders. i know of several businesses in my jurisdiction that do the same thing. photobeam is essentially like a laser beam so that may trip the detector. most major airports (especially after 9/11) have installed such security around thier airfields. its a pain in the a$$ too. one drop of rain hits that photobeam and i start getting alarm calls out the a$$. gives me a whole new reason to hate bad weather.....

PONY Member
S197 Member

GTNOS

I think you are right about the perimeter alarm
because I have seen false alarms from a detector in situations where they had interior infared sensors. Sounds about right!!

POP has been out for about 3 years and is only used in a few places. It is different than instant on in that it's signal is pulsed very very fast. Much faster than instant on. Also, as I said earlier the manual says not to write tickets based on this reading, but that the radar unit needs to be switched to a tracking mode to come up with a speed history.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page