Extended Warranty? - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Extended Warranty?

What are everones thoughts?? should I get the extended warranty, or not. What did you do? And yes I have read about all the problems as well, is it worth it? I know that when we bought our PSD we got the ESP, and if we dont use it when that 100,000 mile runs out we can get our money back from ford, but I have heard that Ford is no longer doing that. Thanks Tim

Legend Lime, GT , Tan Leather, Side Air Bags, IUP, Shaker 1000, 5 Speed
Sequential Lights Whooo Hoooo
LL #0018
I know there are faster cars - my penis still works just fine..."
Proud Owner of the New Edelbrock Supercharger, Serial #0001 signed by Vic Edelbrock!!
~pictures in gallery~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005
S197 Member

I just stayed with the base warranty. I like doing my own work anyway. If you're not into fixing stuff yourself it may be worth the money, especially if you're getting the automatic. I know too many people who've had Ford automatics blowup on them just after the factory warranty expired.

post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005
2.3L Member
S197 Member

Ask your dealer for some advise.
My salesman said I have up to 3 years or 36,000 to decide. Why rush in and buy a warranty on top of the one you already have?

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005
Classic Member

Cool

If you buy an extended warranty and it is not used, you wasted your money. Better to put $1000 in the bank and earn interest in case something happens. I put 276,000 on my van and spent a total of $3000 over 12 years for repairs. An extended warranty would not have helped. My vintage cars do not have a warranty. I keep cash on hand and do all of my maintenance.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005
S197 Member

Thumbs up ESP Worht the Money

I've been a Ford fan for many years. This is my 4th GT. Have had ESP's on all of them. Im not the mechanic type. It also depends on how many miles you drive the car a year. Alot of miles may lead to your ESP expiring well before the amount of years have lapsed. I dont put many miles a year on my car (about 10K per year) so the time and mileage work out well. Also, the longer you wait the more expensive it is to renew your ESP. When you are getting near your 3 yr. or 36K the cost will go to approx. $1400 to 1600 for the same plan. The bottom line is that this is a first year motor and tranny, anticipate problems, because thet will occur.
05 GT Black on Black, Upgrade rims' Sweet Ride:smoke:
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005
S197 Member

Well, with today's technology many items can't really be serviced in your gargage-- I'm particularly concerned about the computer controllers. I've heard replacing the main processing unit in the new mustangs can get pretty pricy... a 2K ESP to 100K seems like a good deal to me.

jq
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005
S197 Member

I was offered, among other things, Diamond Coating for the paint. Any idea what it really is, what it does, and is it worth the price? If it is really great why don't they do it at the factory?

Included with the diamond coating was rust/sound protection, new and improved fabric guard, and leather conditioner. Total $600. After reading several posts on the undercoating and leather conditioning I declined. I bought a can of Scotch Guard for just a few bucks. Is Meguiars leather cleaner/conditioner ok?
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005
SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

I want a 5 year 75K plan for warranty, service, loaner and roadside... I already have a two year service plan in my deal... how much for the rest? $1200?

Also, my sales guy said that there is no void on the ESP for mods?? No limit? What if I put on a SC and charge 14 PSI for 600 RWHPs...??? Doesn't make sense!?!

KJ, poorer but happier

Thanks to:
Modular Depot
Fox Lake Racing
Tunable Induction
Power House 411
Sun Coast Creations
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005

I bought 5/75 for $1100 and I don't know if I'll keep it. $50 to cancel within 60 days - I'm on the fence. I hope lot of people answer this thread - I want to know what everyone thinks too.
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangbaxter
What are everones thoughts?? should I get the extended warranty, or not. What did you do? And yes I have read about all the problems as well, is it worth it? I know that when we bought our PSD we got the ESP, and if we dont use it when that 100,000 mile runs out we can get our money back from ford, but I have heard that Ford is no longer doing that. Thanks Tim
Never heard about the refund if you don't use the extended warranty. I did buy my GT today from a dealer in Southern California and asked about the extended warranty (ESP). I ended up choosing an 8 year/60,000 mile plan. Dealer said retail for this plan was $1595.00. I countered with $1,000 and he accepted.

Had ESP on a Bronco that needed new rear axles. Only cost me a $100.00. Like all insurance, expensive if you never need it, but dirt cheap if you do. I know Ford should be around for awhile, at least my lifetime which is why I bought their plan. Be careful if you buy an extended warranty from other then the manufacturer. I've seen them go out of business, or poor customer service. Plus, with other plans, you either pay for the repair and get reimbursed, or wait for them to approve the repairs. With ESP, take it to any Ford dealer to get it fixed. No waiting for approval.

I was waiting for my 03 Excursion, but if I can get the dealer to sell it to my for $1,000, just like the Mustang, I'll buy it from him.

Whatever you do, negotiate this item. I've heard it is nothing but profit for the dealer. They knocked off $595.00 for me without batting an eye. Makes me wish I went lower.

For info only, here is the link to Fords ESP http://www.fordwarrantys.com/
Many plans to choose from. Just match months/mileage/price to your situation.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark05GTCon
I bought 5/75 for $1100 and I don't know if I'll keep it. $50 to cancel within 60 days - I'm on the fence. I hope lot of people answer this thread - I want to know what everyone thinks too.
Was the $1100 for warranty and service? Have you looked here, http://www.genuineflmservice.com/default.asp?page=H1 ?

Also, there was a thread before written by a former Ford Finance Gal where I pretty much figured out that 40% of the price is PURE profit for the sales and finance guy (and probably as much go to the dealer) so I'll take their price and knock 35% off letting them know to take it or leave it...

KJ, poorer but happier

Thanks to:
Modular Depot
Fox Lake Racing
Tunable Induction
Power House 411
Sun Coast Creations

Last edited by kj_cinci; 03-18-2005 at 03:09 AM.

it was for premiumcare - no service. the link you provided wouldn't accept my VIN although I retyped it three times.. but it looked like the same page that told me I couldn't buy on line in CA. WarrantyDirect had about the same price for the same coverage.
Apprentice
Classic Member
4.6L Member

I would wait till the end of the 3 yr 36K to make decision.
I bought a new mystique in 95 with the esp and ended up selling the car before the 3 yr mark and asked for a refund of which i only recieved 40 % back. I inquired to why only 40% since i still had the 3/36k in effect. and they said the esp starts the day you buy it (something the dealer never mentioned). so you actually have dual coverage if you buy it the day you get your car.

70 Mach 1 Mustang 351 4bbl 4 speed
2004 SVT (Terminator) Cobra
#3083 out of 3768
Build date 3/8/04
1 of 227 Metallic Silver Cobras

Just an FYI. I'm pruchasing the ESP from my local dealer it was about $300 cheaper than direct through Ford. Also The 05 Mustang vins are not in the ESP system. They have to be manually input, not sure sure why this is but when i called they said they hvae to do it with every 05 Mustang.
S197 Member

When it comes to purchasing extended warranties, my advice is to insure that which you cannot afford to lose. I purchased the ESP because I am concerned over the cost of the computer modules. From previous experience, I found that computer stuff can be awfully expensive and that expense always seems to come at a time I can't afford and I need the car. However, if you can afford a expensive repair, or don't plan on keeping the car, the advice to put $1,000 in the bank and see what happens may be the way to go.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page