Help! Coupe or Vert? - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005 Thread Starter

Help! Coupe or Vert?

I've been holding out for a GT Coupe because I really like the fastback look, but I haven't been able to find one in the color that I like (Black or Mineral Grey). I don't have the patience to wait for an '05 order that may never come, so I've been searching the Internet in vain. Well I suddenly found both a GT Coupe and GT Vert. The problem is, the Coupe has the red interior, which I'm not particularly fond of (especially since this is to be my mid-life crisis mobile). The Vert has the perfect colors, but... it's a Vert. The last Vert I owned was a 1971 Olds Cutlass Supreme, which was awesome, but hot as hell driving around Central Texas (I'm now in Northern Virginia). I'm torn because I don't know if I should hold out for a Coupe that totally fits the bill, or go for the Vert now. Both are on the lot and are a couple of hundred below MSRP (they won't do X-plan). I don't want to start a Coupe vs. Vert war, but I guess I'm looking for opinions on how much I'd enjoy a Vert in the Mid-Atlantic region. I also have two sons, who I plan to occasionally cart around in their car seats. The seats seem to fit better in the Vert, but I know it's not as safe as a hardtop. I also plan to do a mod or two and wonder if stripes would look silly on the Vert. Any comments would be greatly appreciated, as I need to move fast if I'm going to catch this deal. Thanks to all from a Stang noob.

Did I mention that my wife likes the Vert over the Coupe?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Yes, you shouldn't do stripes on a vert, since they can't go over the roof. It would look silly. Personally, sounds like your in favor of the coupe. Well you shouldn't hav to settle for anytihng, so I would say hold out a few more months for the coup.

SOLD -2005 Black GT Whipple HO| Oil Seperator | Steeda Tensioner | 93 dyno tune | Autometer Cobalt | GTAs | Eibach Pro-kit | Tokico D-Specs | CHE UCA | BMR PH | BMR LCA | BMR LCA Bracket | 18x9/10 Deep Dish Bullits

2013 Shelby GT500
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005
S197 Member

I live in Northern VA as well. I would opt for the coupe. Thats what I have Space wise, I've been able to fit my friends who are both near 6ft in the back seats. They whine, but they fit. Also just weather wise, its a safer bet.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005
S197 Member

COUPE.........:hearton:
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005
PONY Member
S197 Member

Coupe. Verts are fine an all.. But did notice one thing yesterday I don't like about them. They are missing the whole idea of the fast back. The whole top fo the car is last year's model.

SO GO COUPE.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d6_05GT
Coupe. Verts are fine an all.. But did notice one thing yesterday I don't like about them. They are missing the whole idea of the fast back. The whole top fo the car is last year's model.

SO GO COUPE.
You're pretty quick.................just kidding!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005
S197 Member

I vote for the vert, but then again that's what I own! Choose what's right for you and don't settle! No doubt you will love whatever you end up getting, I know because I love my Vert! I took it to my first cruise night tonight and got a great response from everyone that saw it! One guy was driving by and turned around to come back when he saw my car parked in the lot!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005
Classic Member
V6 Member

Coupe or Vert

Exspook

Get what you trully want. This will be your car you have to be happy all the way. I have a 69 street racer so I didn't need to wait on a 05 GT Coupe or Vert. I wanted a Screaming Yellow Vert so the dealer found what I wanted about 100 miles from here and had it trucked up. I got my Screaming Yellow 04 V6 Drop Top and I am as happy as pig in muck, mire and beer.

Jess
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005
S197 Member

Tough call...

I thought I wanted the vert at first. However, after owning the coupe for a while, it has grown on me. It gets quite hot here in the summer and cold in the winter. You only have about two ( maybe three ) months of good vert driving here in GA if you factor in the ranny days.

Here is my opinion as to wich one wins each catagory:

Pure fun = VERT
Looks = Coupe
Price = Coupe
Handling = Coupe ( lighter, stiffer )
Ride = vert
Performance = ( very slight edge to coupe )
Chicks Love it = vert

I could be very happy with either, but I think I'll stick with the coupe....

If I were single......Well.........
Rookie

Get one of each!

'05 GT Coupe Premium, Sonic Blue, Dark Graphite Leather, 5 speed, IUP
Rookie

Actually, I lived in Northern Virginia for over 30 years and had a several verts (MG, Jeep and Fiat 124 spyder...don't get me started on Fiats...) and really enjoyed the top down driving. Go for it!

'05 GT Coupe Premium, Sonic Blue, Dark Graphite Leather, 5 speed, IUP

One thing I see that gets skipped a lot is that tops on verts hold dirt really well, dry out and need replacing every few years, and go on the "things that can break" list.

Stick with the Coupe and use the 255 AC control, two windows down and drive over 55 mph.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005 Thread Starter

Going to be the Coupe

Don't think I haven't thought about getting both. Of course, by the time I figured on the coupe, the dealer only has verts. Just my luck. So now I'm back stuck waiting on a coupe. The dealer has some allocations left and thinks he can still get an '05 order in for me. I'll find out tomorrow. If not, I guess it will be an '06 for me. I stopped by my "regular" dealer's brand new fancy showroom this morning, just to see if they had any in and saw that they had 2 GT's. Both had big stickers on the windows which said "$2000 additional dealer mark-up. NON-NEGOTIABLE!" One of the salesmen walked over and said "Nice car, hunh." I replied "Not at that price" and waltzed on out. I guess they need to pay for the new digs, but I'm not about to contribute. I guess I'll be back to buying from my old dealer Sheehy Ford. By the way, If anybody in the D.C. metro area is in the market for a GT Vert, Sheehy Ford of Marlowe Heights has one black and one silver both priced $200 under MSRP. Thanks to everyone for the great advice.

Convertibles seem to be a little bit like built in swimming pools. Plenty of people warned me "they're more trouble than they're worth". "You'll fill it in with dirt in a couple years you'll be so sick of it". "Costs a fortune to maintain and you can only use it a few months of the year"..... etc.

I love my pool, and I love my VERT!!!! I guess there are "vert people" and there are other kinds of people who don't appreciate verts. But I don't let myself get talked out of stuff that I think will be FUN.

Get the Vert and don't flip it upside down with the kids in there.(oops - didn't see your last post... your heart is in the coupe, so get the coupe)
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005 Thread Starter

Yeah - I was really torn. I want both, but the fastback look of the Coupe just kills me. Besides, I really want to stripe it and put louvers on the 1/4 windows. I'm going to go for Black with Mineral Gray stripes, lowered with 18 or 19's, spoiler delete with a ducktail, some engine bolt-ons and a tune later down the road. We've been considering a move to Central Florida, so if we do, a Vert will probably be in my future at some point anyway. I just want the Darth Vader mobile for the start of my mid-life crisis. Maybe I'll buy the wife a torch vert V6 automatic if we move. That way, she'll stay off my a**, and away from my car and I'll get to go topless when the mood strikes! Besides, we've got the grocery getter for the munchkins.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page