How do you clean the throttle body? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

How do you clean the throttle body?

So I've been on this kick to give my 05 a good freshening up. So far I've replaced my serpentine belt with a Gates from O'rielly (Ford wanted to charge me $137 installed). Installed a new fuel cap and finally replaced the door blend motor for the HVAC to get rid of the annoying clicking. Bought a new fuel filter but haven't installed it yet. Plugs, COP's and tires will be replaced after I get my tax return. I want to clean the throttle body but not sure if I remove it to clean it or if I leave it installed. I'm not against removing it, just need to know if it'll need to be re-adjust it after.
Also, Ford wrote on the vehicle accessment sheet that there is a leak in the transmission(5spd manual). Is there a pan gasket I can replace?
Thanks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

13 Mustang GT 5.0
92 Mustang LX 5.0
65 Mustang Hardtop 289 C.I.D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I think there are some videos on here somewhere, or maybe youtube, not sure what section, hopefully you can turn them up with some searching

I'm pretty sure the actuator stays with the throttle body when you remove it so there is no re-adjustment necessary.

You can clean it without removing it, but you can't do as goood a job because you can't get at the back of the blades if you don't remove it.

don't know about the trans leak . . .

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry9665 View Post
So I've been on this kick to give my 05 a good freshening up. So far I've replaced my serpentine belt with a Gates from O'rielly (Ford wanted to charge me $137 installed). Installed a new fuel cap and finally replaced the door blend motor for the HVAC to get rid of the annoying clicking. Bought a new fuel filter but haven't installed it yet. Plugs, COP's and tires will be replaced after I get my tax return. I want to clean the throttle body but not sure if I remove it to clean it or if I leave it installed. I'm not against removing it, just need to know if it'll need to be re-adjust it after.
Also, Ford wrote on the vehicle accessment sheet that there is a leak in the transmission(5spd manual). Is there a pan gasket I can replace?
Thanks.

Are you leaking brake fluid or trans fluid from your gear box?

Way too much to list. I'm broke because of it. Tuned by Blue Collar Performance.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Not sure what or where the leak is. Took my car to the dealer for an oil change and when they gave me back the multi-point inspection sheet, it said trans leak/added fluid. The dealer doesn't like me much because I just go there for the oil change and when they offer to repair/replace something at their high cost, I refuse and tell them I'll do it myself. Such was the case with the serpentine belt. I told the service rep I could get one with a 3 yr warranty for 20 dollars cheaper, he kept saying "be careful what you get". The change out was a 10 minute job. That includes getting the tools and the clean up. There is a shop I trust with much better prices, so I might go there and have them check it out.

13 Mustang GT 5.0
92 Mustang LX 5.0
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013
GT Member

Take It

Take it off to clean. Just be careful as the bottom hardware is a nut and the top bolts. Just don't over torque and reinstall and go oppisite corner like installing a tire.

T Wayne
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013
PONY Member
S197 Member

A leak in a manual transmission is not common, unless its around the output or input shaft. Its much different than an automatic transmission (or an engine) where you have fluid being pumped under pressure. I'd make sure it was really leaking before I replaced anything.

Bruce
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013
GT Member

Cleaning the TB is easy, I did it last year. Just unplug everything and pull it off, and then spray it out real well with carb cleaner. Mine was all gunked up and making the car idle weird, ran a lot better after cleaning.

'05 Mustang GT Premium
CMS Stage 1 cams, C&L Racer, Lito tune, Jeg's oil sep, CMDP, SR UDP's, JBA stainless LT's & catted H, Magnaflow resonators, MBRP axle back, BMR springs, Koni STR.T, BMR LCA's & backets, J&M upper & mount, J&M Al panhard, DIY panhard brace, Steeda Tri-Ax, smoked corners, Raxiom Vector tails, Brembos, S550 GT Premium wheels, 2010+ door panels
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Thanks for the input guys! I'll have my shop lift the car and look at the transmission. Also, thanks for the tips on the throttle body cleaning.

13 Mustang GT 5.0
92 Mustang LX 5.0
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013
PONY Member
S197 Member

Save yourself some $$ on the COP as well...no need to replace them unless you're seeing issues.
PONY Member
S197 Member

There is a youtube video on cleaning a V8 Mustang TB. That's how I learned to do mine.
bigstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by White05GT View Post
There is a youtube video on cleaning a V8 Mustang TB. That's how I learned to do mine.
Brenspeed posted a 'how to' video in the vender section several months ago. It may also be on their website.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page