Separator plate rattle fix - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member

Separator plate rattle fix

I've been having this problem since I got the car and I swear it got worse in the last year. I was reading up on it online and saw that a lot of people seem to have this problem and there seemed to be a variety of fixes.

Just curious, what have you folks done as a fix? I saw there were two threaded M10 holes in the bellhousing, and I had two bolts that fit along with some rubber stripping left over from another project, so I wedged the rubber in around the bolts and tightened them down. I have the car halfway apart right now installing headers but I'm hoping it'll work, the rattling was just annoying.

'05 Mustang GT Premium
CMS Stage 1 cams, C&L Racer, Lito tune, Jeg's oil sep, CMDP, SR UDP's, JBA stainless LT's & catted H, Magnaflow resonators, MBRP axle back, BMR springs, Koni STR.T, BMR LCA's & backets, J&M upper & mount, J&M Al panhard, DIY panhard brace, Steeda Tri-Ax, smoked corners, Raxiom Vector tails, Brembos, S550 GT Premium wheels, 2010+ door panels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013
GT Member

Rattling is usually nearer the bottom...away from any bolt area.
Bolts hold it tight...it's where there are no bolts, below the bolts that vibration causes rattles.
There is an almost whole half circle of metal below the bolts...

I pushed silicone sealer or urethane sealer in thin crack between that metal piece and bell housing casting. (But NOT at hole area center of bottom...should not plug that hole).

Others have wedged washers in that area.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013
PONY Member
S197 Member

Curious! Is this in automatics? And what kind of sound does it make? I mean does it sound like the engine knocking at low rev or something similar?

Cherry, 05 mustang gt Black, w/red leather, AUTO
RZ pro speed 20" concave wheels
Sct tuner w/Brenspeed 93,89 and 87.
Jlt cold air intake, Mac prochamber with slp loudmouths, Drop zone lowering springs and a stallion on car adjustable panhard bar.
Ran a best of 13.343 @ 102.70, 60' 2.053. (On street tires)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghunt View Post
I've been having this problem since I got the car and I swear it got worse in the last year. I was reading up on it online and saw that a lot of people seem to have this problem and there seemed to be a variety of fixes.

Just curious, what have you folks done as a fix? I saw there were two threaded M10 holes in the bellhousing, and I had two bolts that fit along with some rubber stripping left over from another project, so I wedged the rubber in around the bolts and tightened them down. I have the car halfway apart right now installing headers but I'm hoping it'll work, the rattling was just annoying.
ghunt,

Check this out:

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ate-noise.html

I've got to do this to my GT once the weather improves. Hope this helps.

Jim T.
Present: 2018 Mustang GT (MT): Shadow Black

Past: 2007 Mustang GT Premium (MT), 2010 Mustang GT Premium (MT)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013
GT Member

Well in the link above the guy did accomplish his goal.
He got rid of the noise.

I believe he is incorrect in saying that plate scraped against the flywheel.

normally that plate just rattles "oil canning noise" against the bell housing area of the transmission, not scraping anything.

So, holding it still, keeping it from vibrating at certain rpms of engine can be accomplished by either a shim...like the washers he used, or simply silicone or urethane sealer placed in between pieces of metal.
It is NOT necessary to bend the metal plate enough to warp it's shape.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s197gt View Post
He got rid of the noise.

normally that plate just rattles "oil canning noise" against the bell housing area of the transmission, not scraping anything.

So, holding it still, keeping it from vibrating at certain rpms of engine can be accomplished by either a shim...like the washers he used, or simply silicone or urethane sealer placed in between pieces of metal.
It is NOT necessary to bend the metal plate enough to warp it's shape.
Depends how misaligned it is. I tried the washer trick with mine, and it seemed to work the first morning after when I started it up, but that morning was a little warmer, and the next cold day the rattle came back just as bad. I'm waiting for the weather to shape up so I can get under it and try again.

2005 Sport-Utility Mustang Convertible
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
Rattling is usually nearer the bottom...away from any bolt area.
Bolts hold it tight...it's where there are no bolts, below the bolts that vibration causes rattles.
There is an almost whole half circle of metal below the bolts...

I pushed silicone sealer or urethane sealer in thin crack between that metal piece and bell housing casting. (But NOT at hole area center of bottom...should not plug that hole).

Others have wedged washers in that area.
I did put the bolts in that "half circle" area, there were two holes in the plate and two threaded holes in the bellhousing that were unused (maybe for another application that bellhousing was used on- I dunno). The plate was, at the bottom, a good 1/4"+ away from the transmission, and I had this 1/4" thick silicone rubber strip sitting around...so, like I said, I wedged it in there, threaded in the bolts I had, and tightened them down. I'll have to see if the bolts will stay tight though.

'05 Mustang GT Premium
CMS Stage 1 cams, C&L Racer, Lito tune, Jeg's oil sep, CMDP, SR UDP's, JBA stainless LT's & catted H, Magnaflow resonators, MBRP axle back, BMR springs, Koni STR.T, BMR LCA's & backets, J&M upper & mount, J&M Al panhard, DIY panhard brace, Steeda Tri-Ax, smoked corners, Raxiom Vector tails, Brembos, S550 GT Premium wheels, 2010+ door panels
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013
ski
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
He got rid of the noise.

Actually, he is correct.
My 05 GT initially made the rattling noise. Securing the plate with 2 bolts that were missing from the factory eliminated it.
Now when the clutch pedal is depressed in cold weather it makes a grinding noise that definitely indicates a rotating object is rubbing against the plate. And the only rotating object that's close enough to contact the plate is the flywheel.
FWIW, I haven't done anything to eliminate the noise, because it disappears after the engine has been running for a few seconds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page