Tail Light Channel Trim - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005 Thread Starter

Tail Light Channel Trim

I put some black trim in my tail light channels a few days ago. Its a subtle enhancement that adds a more retro look for the tail lights, IMO, best of all its cheap. Pics attached. What ya think?

For those interested I just used some 3/8" wheel well molding from a local parts store, its fits in the channel perfectly. Its got 3M double sided tape on the back so it sticks and stays stuck. 20' roll for 13 bucks I think. You could also use vinyl or stripe tape that matches your paint but since mines black I think this worked out great.

P.S. - You can get molding in chrome as well, I've seen some pics of others with chrome/silver, just not to my taste.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear3Edit.jpg
Views:	697
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	9438   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear2Edit.jpg
Views:	675
Size:	212.0 KB
ID:	9439   Click image for larger version

Name:	Taillight_ChannelBlkOut.jpg
Views:	853
Size:	878.4 KB
ID:	9440   Click image for larger version

Name:	TaillightX2_ChannelBlkOut.jpg
Views:	748
Size:	225.1 KB
ID:	9441   Click image for larger version

Name:	Molding1.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	225.6 KB
ID:	9443  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005
SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

Nice!
Maybe shoulda did one taillight and taken a pic with only one done for a comparison.

But does look good!

how about some gold trim and a gold pony instead :O

J/K

'06 Tungsten GT 18" CT-R Gunmetals
Xcal2, JLTII, UDP, ProKit, Dspecs, Bump Steer kit, SS brake hoses, Strut Tower Brace, UCA, Adj.LCA's, AntiSquats, Panhard bar, MGW shifter, Steeda cowl hood, Hood pins, MRT hood struts*, 14" Antenna, Sequencial TL's, 07 Plenum cover, PJ Saleen heritage fascia, CDC ductail, SSE 1/4 window louvers, MAG mirror inserts, Rear trunk painted, MGW window switch plates, Billet door lock pins, Interior trunk release, Tint.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005
PONY Member
S197 Member

Ok, ready for an honest opinion? IMHO they look like cheesy J.C. Whitney addons. Why anyone would do that to a perfectly good taillamp is beyond me.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k5GTC
Ok, ready for an honest opinion? IMHO they look like cheesy J.C. Whitney addons. Why anyone would do that to a perfectly good taillamp is beyond me.
Unfortunately, I have to agree here. It looks like an unfinshed product. Kinda like something is missing......
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005
Rookie

Everybody's got their own opinion. I think it looks pretty good and am considering doing mine in chrome. My concern is how well the 3M tape will stay in place on those tight curves and how it will hold up over time.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005

I did mine in Chrome and it has held up fine for the past 6 weeks or so. Makes it look more like the tail lights on a '66.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005
Rookie

Did you just use a box cutter to cut the trim?
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005
Rookie

I like it, subtle, yet distinctive. You did a good, professional looking finish job.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005

What if you just taped off the lenses and painted the channels black? Just an idea.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005 Thread Starter

Thanks all for the opinions, just thought I'd throw it out there. Check out this photochop I just made to see what I'm really wanting to do.

2k5GTC/djthomas22 - Agreed, its still not what I really want. I want the old stang's look, this is temporary until someone starts selling something similar to this attached photo chop I just did or until I make the time to do it right. I did considered painting them but didn't feel like taking the time since as I said this is just temporary.

skoolbiz - I used a razor sharp hose cutter tool I aquired when I used to do autobody repair. You can use a box cutter, razor, or anything really, just make sure its very sharp so you get a nice, straight cut.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	05_Retro_Tail_lights.JPG
Views:	7501
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	9472  

Mudman,

When you find something out there for tail lights similar to your photochop concept, let me know. This is exactly what I'm looking to do as well! While I think the stock tail lights look good, they're just a little too big. Giving it a more retro look like your photochop concept would look awesome. Nice job
S197 Member

check out Silverhorse Racing. They have some under development...should be real nice.
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I think it looks kinda cool, but let's face it- you obviously have too much time on your hands!!!!
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Ordered the following (slotted) from Moss Mustang earlier this week and will post some pix once the part arrives. Dixi is my bling pony and Luci is going to be anti-bling...the black should play very well with the Lime!

http://www.mossmustang.com/Shop/View...eIndexID=48642

"I may never be famous, but my girls Dixi and Luci sure are."

Dixi Candace: Windveil Blue Stick V6 '05, Steeda CAI w/BBK 70mmTB/hi-flo inlet, XCal2, ASP UP, JBA SS Shorties/Evol, FRPP T-Lok diff, 34/28 mm F/R sway bars, MMR rear LCAs, Monte C. strut bar, Precision 3.73s, Snow H2OCH4O, "Q" grille and tons of Dixi Bling chrome

Luci Elinor: Legend Lime Auto GT '06 Premium, JLT2 CAI, XCal2 Brenspeed 93, BBK 62mmx2 TB, Steeda UPs, Pypes Violators polished, SMR strut tower, A.H. & Stage3 louvers
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zregime
Ordered the following (slotted) from Moss Mustang earlier this week and will post some pix once the part arrives. Dixi is my bling pony and Luci is going to be anti-bling...the black should play very well with the Lime!

http://www.mossmustang.com/Shop/View...eIndexID=48642
I have those and really like the look. I also have the Silverhorse honycomb panel to complete the effect...it's nice

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page