Mod Wish List - Seeking Comments - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005 Thread Starter

Mod Wish List - Seeking Comments

Hello!

Been driving my manual-shift 6 shooter for a few months now (needs it's own forum here) and it's like a time machine when I'm in it, I could drive for hours...

I never pictured myself as a motorhead but I am technically inclined (ASP/.NET, HTML, JavaScript, SQL, etc.) and I'm getting hooked on this (and other) forums. I read for over an hour (sometimes 3) every day. In the past I've hated doing auto work cause it was always when my car broke down, but I have done your basic alt, starter, water pump, brakes, etc. I'm quickly developing mod-envy and want to make my pony personalized.

OK, enough intro...

I'm looking to add the following mods, and wanted some comments from the gurus here.
CAI - AEM looks fat, a bit overstated, but very functional. Haven't seen many comments on this model.
Tune/Flash - Xcalibrator looks like the common item, but will it do much for my standard-shift? I suppose I'd need it for all my mods, but I'm a bit confused as to how to use it. A dyno session and a pro-tune with my flash-box (xcal) is required after each mod?
Dual Exhaust (true) - I like the sound of the FR/Borla axle-back, but mods that don't add power are not nearly as attractive to me, so I figure I should not waste money on anything other then duals. I don't want the rap-rap sound I hear on straight pipes, I want a low grumble.
TB - will going to a larger TB add 10hp? (warrenty issues?)
Rear End - Going to a better gear and of course Track-Loc. What's the concensus on fuel efficiency after better torqued gears?
SC - COOL! Just dreaming though, way, way too much money. Maybe if I hit the lottery (see GT envy, below)

I'm not willing to do ANY mods that are going to void my warranty.
Oh, and did I mention 4 kids draining my wallet already? But they do love the Stang!

One last comment - should I just save my money for a year or two and upgrade to a GT? I wouldn't mind having a sleeper but the GT gets me better rims (not the billets, the other 17" GT rims) for only another $200, plus I get duals (true duals, or off a y?), plus better sways, plus two more cylendars, plus the same HP I'd get from a SC, and those cool fog lights I'll never use except to wink at other S197s.

Well, I love the forums and just wanted to talk about my mods wish list. Thanks in advance for any comments!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

hi from one computer geek to another... LOL

Ok... here are my thoughts and opinions...

First mod should be an SCT X-Cal2. Even though you have a manual it will still make a noticable difference and will come in handy later when you do things like add a CAI or change gear ratios or tire size.... www.alternativeauto.com is one of the best (if not THE best) mustang shops around... Lidio know his stuff... period...

On the subject of CAI... most all of them claim "no re-flash required"... I disagree... Basically they trick the computer into thinking they are flowing less air than they really are... as a result the car runs lean and you get some performance gain... at the risk of running lean... I experienced this first hand with the MMR CAI... I did get some nice gains, mainly in the upper RPMs, but I wouldn't suggest getting a CAI with out getting tune for it or getting a dyno tune...

Exhaust... everything I've read and some folks I talked to say that going to a dual really doesn't gain anything over going to a good single axle back exhaust. So if performance and price is your main concern I wouldn't do the dual... if you really like the looks of duals then you can probably just go with the Y type... but again, unless your doing some serious mods to your V6, the single is good enough...

Our cars have a pretty descent exhaust manifold... No one has really offered hard proof that I've seen of big gains by putting on headers... you might pick up 3 or 4 HP...

TB? Don't know much about that... but I think it would be waste...

Rear end... Track-Lock is cool... LOL! The gearing in the V6 isn't that bad... you could maybe go with 3.73... I've got 4.10s but I have oversized tires in the back... my complete rear end , gears, t-lok and install was $900... done by the best shop around...

S/C... yeah i was dreaming of that too... LOL! I decided to go the nitrous route and put in the Zex kit... WOOHOO!!! 246 RWHP and an amazing 321 RWTQ!!!!

With the CAI, exhaust and tune I was putting down around 195RWHP... that compares to about 170RWHP stock... so it added 25RWHP... On the Zex we're running a 75HP shot that added about 60RWHP...

good luck!!!

John - The V6 Apologist

2014 Ingot Silver Vert - MCA Edition

MPT Tuned - BBK Shorties - MRT Axle Back - FRPP 3.55
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingjts
hi from one computer geek to another... LOL
Cool, what do you do?

Quote:
First mod should be an SCT X-Cal2. ... will come in handy later when you do things like add a CAI or change gear ratios or tire size.... www.alternativeauto.com is one of the best (if not THE best) mustang shops around... Lidio know his stuff... period...
Does it matter who I buy the Xcal from? Is there some benefit to buying from one person or another? Do they ship with different tunes or will a busy shop be distributing more tunes over time? Can you get other tunes or do you get what you get when you buy it and that's it? Are Custom tunes necessary for any of these mods, or is there a recommended tune I can do myself - ie: "for the CAI, adjust your F2A mix to be 10% lean".

Quote:
I wouldn't suggest getting a CAI with out getting tune for it or getting a dyno tune...
I've seen many posts about this - if it don't require a tune, it's not worth your time, or it will require a tune anyway, even if they say it doesn't. So then will each CAI co. will have it's own tune file? Do all the tuners (xcal, etc.) use the same types of files, or does the CAI co. have to be in bed with the tuner co?

Quote:
Exhaust... everything I've read and some folks I talked to say that going to a dual really doesn't gain anything over going to a good single axle back exhaust.
Really, even with true duals from each side of the manifold with X or H pipe? Yea, if there's not gain then I'll just go with the FR/Borla axle-back, very inexpensive and sounds great (from clips I've heard).

Quote:
No one has really offered hard proof that I've seen of big gains by putting on headers... you might pick up 3 or 4 HP...
That's good news and bad. New headers are expensive for twisted metal tubing! But hey, my wife will appreciate I'm not spending $400 on 4 horses.

Quote:
TB? Don't know much about that... but I think it would be waste...
I read somewhere 10 HP gains going from 55 to 62, or something like that!

Quote:
Rear end... Track-Lock is cool... LOL! The gearing in the V6 isn't that bad... you could maybe go with 3.73... I've got 4.10s but I have oversized tires in the back... my complete rear end , gears, t-lok and install was $900... done by the best shop around...
OK, so maybe it's not necessary... thanks for that. Second opinions?

Quote:
S/C... yeah i was dreaming of that too... LOL! I decided to go the nitrous route and put in the Zex kit... WOOHOO!!! 246 RWHP and an amazing 321 RWTQ!!!!
I don't race (on the strip) and it's a Daily Driver, plus I have warranty fears, so the Zex is a no-no. But it must make for a nice sleeper! Aren't you worried about smoking your engine?

Quote:
With the CAI, exhaust and tune I was putting down around 195RWHP... that compares to about 170RWHP stock... so it added 25RWHP...
OK, that sounds realistic. At least I know what I can expect.

Quote:
good luck!!!
Thanks, John. If I ever see you at a light in that bumble-bee of yours, I'll be sure to stay humble and save face!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I'm a sys admin.... Solaris systems.... main focus on storage... I manage close to 100TB...

All SCT dealers are not created equal... LOL! There was a big difference between the original x-cal2 tunes and the ones I got from Alternative Auto... Alternative's was a much more complete tune... Lidio's 89 tune shave .25 off my 0-60 time versus the 93 octane I was running... Lidio's is just plain better...

I know you can buy tunes from the CAI companys for you X-Cal2... They offer them for the Diablo predator also....

For the exhaust I went with the Magnaflow single axle back... I love it... well worth the money...

As far the Zex... Do I worry? Not really... we've taking a conservative approach... using the smallest jets, pulled some extra timing... I'm going back on Saturday for some more dyno tuning just to double check everything... Lidio wouldn't take on this job if he didn't think it was safe!

yeah... almost a sleeper... just need to get the remote bottle opener! LOL!

John - The V6 Apologist

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

John: Do you happen to know if Lidio will sell the V-6 tune to someone who already has the XCal2 (i.e. me)? At all of the sites I've been to, including Alternative Auto's, the only products they list are tune PLUS the XCal. I'm not expecting to get the tune for something like $19.99...although I'm not prepared to pay something like $350 for it either. Just wanted to check with you since it looks like you're pretty tight with the guy...

Thanks,

Z

"I may never be famous, but my girls Dixi and Luci sure are."

Dixi Candace: Windveil Blue Stick V6 '05, Steeda CAI w/BBK 70mmTB/hi-flo inlet, XCal2, ASP UP, JBA SS Shorties/Evol, FRPP T-Lok diff, 34/28 mm F/R sway bars, MMR rear LCAs, Monte C. strut bar, Precision 3.73s, Snow H2OCH4O, "Q" grille and tons of Dixi Bling chrome

Luci Elinor: Legend Lime Auto GT '06 Premium, JLT2 CAI, XCal2 Brenspeed 93, BBK 62mmx2 TB, Steeda UPs, Pypes Violators polished, SMR strut tower, A.H. & Stage3 louvers
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zregime
John: Do you happen to know if Lidio will sell the V-6 tune to someone who already has the XCal2 (i.e. me)? At all of the sites I've been to, including Alternative Auto's, the only products they list are tune PLUS the XCal. I'm not expecting to get the tune for something like $19.99...although I'm not prepared to pay something like $350 for it either. Just wanted to check with you since it looks like you're pretty tight with the guy...

Thanks,

Z
Yep, he will sell you just the tune... I'm not sure exactly what he charges theses days... I know it's more than $19.99 but less than $350! LOL!

Only thing would be he doesn't have the tune for your Steeda CAI... It's probably worth giving him a call... Ask for Lidio... you'll most likely have to leave a message... He WILL call you back... need to be patient... LOL!

John - The V6 Apologist

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page