Just installed a S & B Cold Air Kit today! - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member
S197 Member

Hey kd05gt,

How's the car running with the S&B for the last couple of weeks? Got mine in the mail but no car yet. Just wondering what to expect.

Alex

12.4 @ 111mph

Saleen S/C, Thump Tensioner, BGG 8 Rib, Kooks, Stingers, Gords, 4.10, Spec 3+, Pro 5.0, GT500 FPs, GT500 T/B, Ultralite Springs, DSpecs, Prothane Mounts, BMR - Adj. Panhard Bar, LCAs, LCA Relo Brackets, Adj. UCA, Rear Sway, Sway Delete/Rad Support
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

V6 Member
S197 Member

you can also get this kit on ebay

4.6L Member

Thumbs up installed one myself...April

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd05gt
Installed the S & B CAI kit today. Same as the Ford Racing kit. Very easy, 30 minutes tops. No reflash. No hassles, no check engine, no skips/misses. Runs smoothly. $219 delivered, a good deal IMO. 1 million mile warranty on the filter, which, at my rate of 150 miles per month, should last a while...

FYI, my car was built in February 2005, and it DID have the HC trap.
I installed it in April, have a 2006 Blk GT...with Flowmaster AB also...Sounds great and looks great....Lost a little low end, but at 2100 its hits like a rocket. After awhile you will notice gas mil improvement, takes a little while for the computer to catch up...You will also notice that it runs better when the weather is a little cooler....LOVET IT ALSO... Good Luck...

BOSS Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaJones
You can name vendors. A couple of replies up there is mention of MidwestAutoGear. Name the vendor. We all want to know. Thanks.
Yeah you can name vendors, just can't solicit deals and advertise for them. How else would we know who has good customer service and who to shop with if we don't hear good/bad tihngs about certain vendors?

SOLD -2005 Black GT Whipple HO| Oil Seperator | Steeda Tensioner | 93 dyno tune | Autometer Cobalt | GTAs | Eibach Pro-kit | Tokico D-Specs | CHE UCA | BMR PH | BMR LCA | BMR LCA Bracket | 18x9/10 Deep Dish Bullits

2013 Shelby GT500
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scramblr
Hey, that's cool. The people at Midwest asked me if they could use my car in their gallery. Mine is the second car shown. The sonic blue with the blue/ checkered flag custom cover. It's the same photo I have posted in my gallery.

They're supposed to be coming out with fuel rail covers to match. Cant wait!

The S&B CAI is on my want list. Thanks for posting the pictures. It does look clean and factory.

'05 Sonic Blue GT w/ '07 V8 engine, 5-sp, IUP, Beige leather interior, nothing else -
just the way I wanted it. (1 of 113)
OK, so I've added a few things to it. Check my Profile - too many to list here.
PONY Member
S197 Member

Or you can buy it off me for $150/$160 shipped. Less than 5K on it.

12.4 @ 111mph

Saleen S/C, Thump Tensioner, BGG 8 Rib, Kooks, Stingers, Gords, 4.10, Spec 3+, Pro 5.0, GT500 FPs, GT500 T/B, Ultralite Springs, DSpecs, Prothane Mounts, BMR - Adj. Panhard Bar, LCAs, LCA Relo Brackets, Adj. UCA, Rear Sway, Sway Delete/Rad Support
S197 Member

I just bought one of these s&b kits aswell and was extremely un happy with the quality of directs aka now put the air box together. I was also extremely unhappy because the plexi-glass that lets you see the air filter did not fit nor did the holes line up so spent jsut over an hour re cutting and geting the holes to line up. I was also extremely unhappy when my car wouldn't start after because the billit peice for the Masss air sensor wa put in upside down at S&B's factory and i didn't know the Air sensor couldn't be upside down then plus when i took it off to turn it right side up one the bults wasn't even the right size they had glued the bult into the threads. First thing i did once i got the car running was take S&B's logo off that pipe becuase i was pissed
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER06MUSTANG
I just bought one of these s&b kits aswell and was extremely un happy with the quality of directs aka now put the air box together. I was also extremely unhappy because the plexi-glass that lets you see the air filter did not fit nor did the holes line up so spent jsut over an hour re cutting and geting the holes to line up. I was also extremely unhappy when my car wouldn't start after because the billit peice for the Masss air sensor wa put in upside down at S&B's factory and i didn't know the Air sensor couldn't be upside down then plus when i took it off to turn it right side up one the bults wasn't even the right size they had glued the bult into the threads. First thing i did once i got the car running was take S&B's logo off that pipe becuase i was pissed
Who'd you buy it from?

12.4 @ 111mph

S197 Member

i bought it from RPMOUTLET.COM
PONY Member
S197 Member

Probably should've just sent it back...Although RPMOUTLET has less than desirable Cust Svc...

12.4 @ 111mph

S197 Member

yea i found that out when i got them dicks on the phone
MACH I Member
S197 Member

I just installed my S&B CAI today. It went in OK, no CEL's or anything. It does seem to improve performance and sound a bit, too. I doubt it's the claimed 20hp, but an improvement none the less. I found the instructions a bit vague in spots, but I'm no mechanic. I did notice the tube just barely touches the water hose from the heater. I'll have to watch that and see if I can make some further adjustments. It has a nice factory look. I noticed the same hole misalignment in the lexan Killero6mustang did. I used my dremel tool to elongate the holes a bit and it went in fine. Thank you at least for the head's up on the potential problem. It made the fix a quick one.

'05 Sonic Blue GT w/ '07 V8 engine, 5-sp, IUP, Beige leather interior, nothing else -
just the way I wanted it. (1 of 113)
OK, so I've added a few things to it. Check my Profile - too many to list here.

No to rain on anyone's parade, but you may want to have the car tested to make sure it's not running lean. The S&B intake was my first mod on my 05' GT (a few months back), and I bought it specifically because it stated "no tune required". At the time I was weary of re-tuning (that's changed!).

Anyway, I took the car to get dynoed and tuned (thought maybe they could squeeze out some extra HP), and the first thing the guy tells me is it's running lean. He asked me why I didn't have a tune on the car for my CAI. I informed him that the S&B did not require a tune, to which he responed "Every CAI needs a tune, no matter what they say".

After the tune, my car ran better than ever, but it may have just been a fluke with mine. If you get the chance though, I would get it checked so you can make sure you're running your best.
PONY Member
S197 Member

Yea i was thinking about getting the granatelli CAI or the S&B, but i started to think about it logically. if your cars computer is expecting a certain type of air flow, and then you increase the air flow, and dont change the gas, wouldnt that cause the car to run leaner? i do know that our cars computer is very female (no offense intended, OK maybe a little) when it comes to changes. so i would expect it to need some sort of tweaking. i dont know if thats how it all works, but it doesnt make sense that every other CAI does the samething and requires a tune. then 2 out of the whole bunch dont require tunes? it just doesnt add up to me. would be nice to see someone install one of the tuneless CAI's and then dyno it very soon after so that we would be able to tell. wishful thinking? i believe it to be so.

2006 GT....White On Black.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page