Ford Mustang Forum banner

Ford Mustang Shooting Brake

7K views 49 replies 24 participants last post by  kscoyote 
#1 ·
Hi folks!

Just registered here to show you my impression of a Mustang Shooting Brake:

http://www.cww.at/cars/ford_mustang_shooting_brake.html

I did different versions, so please compare.

Had some positive feedback on other forums, so now I'm curious about comments from Mustang drivers.

Greetings
André

#2 ·
I dont know what a shooting brake is but I dont like that thing one bit. The talent to create it aside it looks pretty ugly. Maybe id like it better if it wasnt a Mustang??

#5 ·
Looks Like a Crossfire and Mustang got togeter... then forced growth hormone on their offspring:eek:

Not in this lifetime... but the quality to create it was awesome.

#8 ·
I just thought the rear roofline looked liek the crossfire coupe... definately a wagon look like the magnum.

#9 ·
CWW-

biggest reasons why the new mustang is such a runaway success:

1) it dont say mustang anywhere on the car
2) from any angle at 4 blocks away everyone instantly recognizes it as a mustang.

the current car captured all the right bits and pieces of the old styling queues to make it the first 'correct' looking mustang in 35 years.

you have definitely got some darn good abilities to photoshop- great pic- but to us classic car nuts(apparently the younger crowds love the new 'stang too) it totally misses the mark.

suggestion: find some pics of a 1969 cougar and freshen it up a bit- I truly believe that might be the only thing close to the current mustang ford could do with such runaway success as the stang. 67-69 cougars were elegant/yet sporty, and downright pretty cars.

a hatchback/pickup/4door/wagon mustang will simply never fly over here...could you imagine BMW bringing back the beautiful M1 or 850 series as a wagon or a 4 door over there?

an updated early cougar just BEGS to go on the mustangs chassis...just my 2 cents.

#10 ·
another thing (or two):
vintage mustangs often had 5 spoke aftermarket wheels- the standard gt wheel 'looks right to me' but would look better with another inch of 'lip' depth on the rim.

the quad headlights are not vintage, nor the little round aircraft style foglights.

these kinds of 'current' items might fit better on a more 'today' styled bland sedan...see lots on little hondas with big tailpipes and such, some looked ok, most look silly to me- sorry.

in general, on a car with 'heritage inspired' styling, big diameter flat faced 8/10/(or more) spoked wheels, projection lamps, clear lensed tailllamps all kinda look downright ugly to me- sorry if I'm a dinosaur, but you were asking for opinions.

#11 ·
good photoshop skills but ugly outcome for the car, i mean come on what next a Mustang SUV,,???

#12 ·
Picking up on ford4's thread...seeing all the old school muscle cars at my first drag yesterday, I will admit in all honesty there was one car/style that had me lookin' away from Dixi (boy was she pissed)...

Those '70 Barracudas just freakin' ROCKED!

That front hood and the way it comes down to a thin menacing line in front...and the sweep of the car hood...

If Plymouth decided to bring that body style back, I'm afraid Dixi would have to get used to a stepsister.

Here it is:

http://www.motorcities.com/photo/view/05IPN371019683A.jpeg/0/

http://www.motorcities.com/photo/view/05IPN371019683B.jpeg/0/

Sorry for being politically incorrect here, too, but...the Euros don't understand U.S. cars, U.S. foreign policy, U.S. country music, or U.S. religion either. They can keep their hands off our Mustangs, thank you very much...

#13 ·
ford4v429 said:
CWW-

biggest reasons why the new mustang is such a runaway success:

1) it dont say mustang anywhere on the car
2) from any angle at 4 blocks away everyone instantly recognizes it as a mustang.

the current car captured all the right bits and pieces of the old styling queues to make it the first 'correct' looking mustang in 35 years.

you have definitely got some darn good abilities to photoshop- great pic- but to us classic car nuts(apparently the younger crowds love the new 'stang too) it totally misses the mark.

suggestion: find some pics of a 1969 cougar and freshen it up a bit- I truly believe that might be the only thing close to the current mustang ford could do with such runaway success as the stang. 67-69 cougars were elegant/yet sporty, and downright pretty cars.

a hatchback/pickup/4door/wagon mustang will simply never fly over here...could you imagine BMW bringing back the beautiful M1 or 850 series as a wagon or a 4 door over there?

an updated early cougar just BEGS to go on the mustangs chassis...just my 2 cents.

Actually, it does say "Mustang" on the inside of each door along the rocker panel. Just thought I would mention that.:)

#14 ·
Well I learned a little bit from my German grandma so maybe I can help with this:

Nein!

Nice graphic work, though.

#15 ·
I think the concept is pretty cool, but DON'T call it a mustang. A long nosed, V8, RWD wagon, if done right, would be a really cool idea. Look at the dodge magnum - you see 'em everywhere. If you take that idea, make it a bit more retro, give it enough motor to back it up, it would be cool.

But don't call it a mustang!!!
(great job on the picture, though!)

On edit: I was looking through some of your other stuff on your site...some of it looks really good. I like this one: http://www.cwwcardesign.com/cars/mbslkcoupe.html

#16 ·
mustang_randy said:
Actually, it does say "Mustang" on the inside of each door along the rocker panel. Just thought I would mention that.:)
oops- I guess I'd have known that If I ever actually saw my car...Please God let it be here tomorrow...

#17 ·
zregime said:
Picking up on ford4's thread...seeing all the old school muscle cars at my first drag yesterday, I will admit in all honesty there was one car/style that had me lookin' away from Dixi (boy was she pissed)...

That front hood and the way it comes down to a thin menacing line in front...and the sweep of the car hood...

If Plymouth decided to bring that body style back, I'm afraid Dixi would have to get used to a stepsister.

Here it is:

Sorry for being politically incorrect here, too, but...the Euros don't understand U.S. cars, U.S. foreign policy, U.S. country music, or U.S. religion either. They can keep their hands off our Mustangs, thank you very much...
I gotta admit, to me #2 was always the 68-70 challenger(not even sure the year). the 'wraparound' bumper looked soooo cool(like a 69 shelby) and the quarters bulge out from the roof(like a 69/70 mustang)...bulging quarters, swept rooflines, flat noses with deeply recessed grilles...oh yeah

#18 ·
Here What A Shooting Brake Is, If You Don't Know.

A "shooting brake" is basically a British (sort of) invention: back in the 70s, Aston Martin introduced a "shooting brake" version of some of their models. A car with such a denomination could be best described by a mix between a station wagon and a sports car. If I remember well, I believe the concept behind this type of car is that those British gentlemen with fat bank accounts wanted to have a vehicle they could use for their hunting trips without having to sacrifice the pleasure of driving a sports car and from this the "shooting brake" was born (at least Aston Martin produced some, I don't know if other manufacturers did some). I believe it was pretty much shortlived, but I am not completely sure of this.

This said, I personally do not like the idea of a Mustang Shooting Brake as I don't like this type of vehicle. Though the photoshop version made by cww is extremely remarkable, it looks like made by a pro.
So, congrats to cww for his job, but I personally don't like the idea.

#19 · (Edited)
???

Kyle F said:
No, your German... thats why you don't understand the Mustang.
I am Swiss. I bought a Mustang and I love it.
What's the problem with this guy being German ? Does someone need to be American to understand the Mustang ? Come on, be serious.

#20 ·
Legion681 said:
What's the problem with this guy being German ? Does someone need to be American to understand the Mustang ? Come on, be serious.
That's for sure, the guy who headed up the 05 redesign is Vietnamese.

#21 ·
Legion681 said:
A "shooting brake" is basically a British (sort of) invention: back in the 70s, Aston Martin introduced a "shooting brake" version of some of their models. A car with such a denomination could be best described by a mix between a station wagon and a sports car. If I remember well, I believe the concept behind this type of car is that those British gentlemen with fat bank accounts wanted to have a vehicle they could use for their hunting trips without having to sacrifice the pleasure of driving a sports car and from this the "shooting brake" was born (at least Aston Martin produced some, I don't know if other manufacturers did some). I believe it was pretty much shortlived, but I am not completely sure of this.

This said, I personally do not like the idea of a Mustang Shooting Brake as I don't like this type of vehicle. Though the photoshop version made by cww is extremely remarkable, it looks like made by a pro.
So, congrats to cww for his job, but I personally don't like the idea.
I was just going to post that explanation.

No one in the US really understands a shooting brake, as our Shooting Brakes are F-150s.

Shooting Brakes are for Birders, and while some folks are birders here, I think most Americans (with the exception of maybe pheasant). find it too much work with too little meat to show for it. Deer Hunting, and other big game are the preferred game here, and you need a truck. Most people who hunt birds ALSO hunt deer.

Britian, I believe, along with most of Europe has already hunted out almost all the big game, and there isn't much left. (Thank Teddy Roosevelt, and his wildlife preservation programs for that).

The only real shooting brake in the U.S. (though it's not really marketed as one) is the Lexus IS wagon.

There aren't many buyers of the car, as it's too small for a station wagon's utility (like the A3, focus, etc) but still has the aura of "Wagonness," which Americans hate. (Too many memories of riding in the wagon on family vacations, carsickness, fighting in the back seat, and frequent restroom breaks -reference "Family Vacation" with Chevy Chase.

#22 ·
Legion681 said:
Eh... I guess it's just one of those "Freedom Fries"/"Freedom Toast" things. Same as the foreign policy thing earlier in the thread... as for that, the reason that the rest of us don't get it is because it's NUTS, from the perspective of people not in that specific environment. I certainly don't blame Americans, though I have no problem pointing at the media/goverment (which are slowly converging).

Sorry zregime for being politically incorret here, but I guess you have to be outside your border to understand anything non-US. Now, before you get too upset here, how was that different from what you said?

#23 ·
Kyle F said:
No, your German... thats why you don't understand the Mustang.
I think you don't understand the concept. I think he understands the Mustang just fine.

In fact, he's drawing analogies with the Aston Martin, which TOTALLY influenced the Mustang, and all subsequent "Pony Cars."

#24 ·
zregime said:

Here it is:

I'm a Citizen, whose ancestors walked the continent before the U.S. existed. While I understand and grew up with Country Music, Religion, and cars, our foreign policy is a joke. We don't have one, we just have justifications du jour (what's our latest reason for being there?).

There's no logic, rhyme, or reason, grievous mistakes, and errors that are costing hundreds of billions, tens of thousands of lives, and a rush to WMDs on the part of Iran (to whom we've basically given Iraq), North Korea, and instability all over middle Asia.

No one writing foreign policy has any credibility anymore. We are a laughingstock. It's inconceivable how anyone can be so utterly wrong about everything, and be so arrogant and chauvenistic about being wrong.

My apologies to CWW for having to suffer some of our more boorish members.

We aren't all boors.

Thanks for the post -Interesting concept! But, I don't think it will fly here.

#26 ·
Awesome!

CWW said:
Hi folks!

Just registered here to show you my impression of a Mustang Shooting Brake:

http://www.cww.at/cars/ford_mustang_shooting_brake.html

Greetings
André
No time to compare - at work...

The first design I saw on your site is awesome! I really, really liked the glass all on top. Great work.

I'd flare the back end a bit - looks like a Porche, maybe add a spoiler and a scoop.

I did not prefer the elongated rear windows. Did look a bit like a Charger.

Will look more later. Nice job!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.