Pypes Violator vs Flowmaster American Thunder - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Pypes Violator vs Flowmaster American Thunder

I'm leaning towards the Pypes Violators for a couple reasons, they're cheaper and I've already had Flowmasters on a Mustang before. I did like the sound but I want to try something else. Going by the sound clips, I really seem to like the Pypes Violators but I wanted to get some more opinions on them. Who here has them and what do you think? Also, how do they sound in comparison to the American Thunder?

2008 Bullitt #4968
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrp5150 View Post
I'm leaning towards the Pypes Violators for a couple reasons, they're cheaper and I've already had Flowmasters on a Mustang before. I did like the sound but I want to try something else. Going by the sound clips, I really seem to like the Pypes Violators but I wanted to get some more opinions on them. Who here has them and what do you think? Also, how do they sound in comparison to the American Thunder?
I had Pypes Violators. They were alright but a slight drone at highway speed. I replaced them with Mac Boom Tubes. The Boom Tubes are a lot louder (I like) but they don't "drone" like the Violators (or Stingers). You can definitely hear them at highway speeds but I don't find them as annoying as the violators...

NOTE: I have a set of Dynomax bullet mufflers up stream, just before the rear axle.

2007 GT, 5 speed, Paxton 2200
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013
Apprentice
5.0L Member

I have pypes violators on my 08 gt I didn't like them at first they were to quiet for me. But after I put my steeda cai and tune on the car it really woke the mufflers up. I would recommend for the price. But I like my car louder so when I get some extra money im going for something different. As far as the drone its not bad at all.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Hmm, I do have a K&N CAI on my car already. Wondering now if I should just stick with the Flowmasters since I already know I like how they sound?

2008 Bullitt #4968
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013
MACH I Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I had flowmasters on my 02 GT when I bought it a few months ago. I checked out the AM Videos and settled on the Pypes Violater axel back kit, I love it It's a great sounding system.

2002 GT Premium Auto Mineral Grey. Pypes Violater Cat Back Exhaust.
2003 V6 Auto Oxford White, all original no Mods
SOLD 2007 V6 Premium Pony
FORD BUILT WITHOUT YOUR TAX DOLLARS
SAVE AMERICA STOP OBAMA!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013
PONY Member
S197 Member

I went with the Violators to save the ~$100 over the Flowmasters. Construction seems to be a bit weaker compared to the Flowmaster, which is to be expected I guess. I like the sound. The clamps for the over-axle pipe are junk, had to get them spot welded to hold.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014
PONY Member

I'm considering Pypes Violators on my car. I've listened to the sound clips but it hard to tell on the internet. My car is all stock except the CAI and tune. How loud are violators compared to stock mufflers? I don't want my exhaust to be obnoxiously loud or drone on the freeway. I'm just want it to be a little more aggressive than stock.

...also keep in mind I have a vert.

2008 Triple black Convertible GT Premium, Auto
Charcoal premium wheels, Appearance and comfort packages
Roush CAI, Bama Tune, FRPP axle backs.
Steeda strut brace, Honey comb rear deck lid, Sequential tail lights, Tail light frames, MMD side scoops, MMD styling bar.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014
Apprentice

I run the Violators and have zero drone..they are actually very quiet in the car..but outside they sound amazing. Kinda surprized how quiet they are in the car compared to outside..... I get compliments on them all the time...very good sounding mufflers..especially for the price...maybe the polished Violators are different(less droning) then the non polished?? I have the fully polished pair....

2007 GT, Steeda Cai, Steeda Charge Motion Delete Plates, Custom CRT Performance 93 Dyno Tune,Ford Racing Hot Rod Cams,Ford Racing 4:10's , Pypes Long Tube Headers,Pypes Hi Flow Cats and Shorty H, Borla Stingers
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Just to update this because it's an old thread, I got the Pypes Violators and thought they sounded terrible. Got rid of them after a week. They sound almost too low and they drone at highway cruising speeds. They have no growl to them at all. The Flowmasters sound MUCH better in every way to my ears.

2008 Bullitt #4968
PONY Member

That's 2 totally opposite opinions on these. Anyone else?

2008 Triple black Convertible GT Premium, Auto
Charcoal premium wheels, Appearance and comfort packages
Roush CAI, Bama Tune, FRPP axle backs.
Steeda strut brace, Honey comb rear deck lid, Sequential tail lights, Tail light frames, MMD side scoops, MMD styling bar.
PONY Member
S197 Member

I have had my Violators for 5 years now. I get compliments all the time. I love them. They are the deeper sound than some. WOT sounds awesome. I have C & L CAI and headers so that adds to it.

2007 GT Coupe, Auto, Black, Dark Charc. Leather Interior
332 rwhp
307 torque
Mods: Exterior:18x9 front 18x10 rear DD Chrome Bullitt, Nitto 555's, GT/CS side scoops, CDC Classic Chin, Clear Side Markers Exhaust: Pypes LT Headers, Hi-Flow Cats, H pipe and Violators Engine: C&L Street (Chromed) w/ Brenspeed tunes, Chrome Valve Covers, MWG painted radiator cover and extensions, Custom polished/engraved strut tower covers, Chrome fuse box cover, billett fluid caps
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Ryan View Post
That's 2 totally opposite opinions on these. Anyone else?
I found the same thing when I was trying to decide to try the Pypes. Some reviews said they were great, others said they drone and sounded awful. I think you're going to find that same thing with all exhaust setups. You just have to try and hear it in person if at all possible. I think you get what you pay for and there's a reason the Violators are so cheap. I live in an area where I see (and hear) Ferrari's, Aston Martin's, Maserati's, Jaguar's, Lambo's, etc driving through my neighborhood every single day. I know a good sounding exhaust when I hear one, and the Pypes Violators do not sound good.

2008 Bullitt #4968
Rookie

I would not choose either. Violators sound a little cheap and the flowmasters are just to tin canish. Get something deep, you get what you pay for.

2007 GT - Husker red not torch red!
My wife bought it for me on my 30th birthday... lucky me...everyone needs a sugar mama.
All stock so far...
PONY Member
S197 Member

I am not sure which Pypes you heard but mine sound bad @ss. I get constant thumbs up on mine all the time. Maybe the headers make a difference but I would not change a thing.
I know it is very subjective but for the money I think they sound great.

2007 GT Coupe, Auto, Black, Dark Charc. Leather Interior
332 rwhp
307 torque
Mods: Exterior:18x9 front 18x10 rear DD Chrome Bullitt, Nitto 555's, GT/CS side scoops, CDC Classic Chin, Clear Side Markers Exhaust: Pypes LT Headers, Hi-Flow Cats, H pipe and Violators Engine: C&L Street (Chromed) w/ Brenspeed tunes, Chrome Valve Covers, MWG painted radiator cover and extensions, Custom polished/engraved strut tower covers, Chrome fuse box cover, billett fluid caps
Rookie

Every axle back is going to sound different when you add an off road x or h pipe or headers or hi- flow cats. Find an axle back that will should good if you plan on adding in the future.

2007 GT - Husker red not torch red!
My wife bought it for me on my 30th birthday... lucky me...everyone needs a sugar mama.
All stock so far...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page