Installed Rear Window Louvers on my 2005 Mustang - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Red face Installed Rear Window Louvers on my 2005 Mustang

I installed the 2-piece aluminum rear window louvers from CDC a few days ago. No pictures since the louvers look just like the ones in the CDC ad. Had been holding off in hopes the price might drop but got tired of waiting so I went for it. First off, the primary reason was to keep the sun from heating up the back seat plus the louvers look pretty good. As a personal preference, I will not be installing any side louvers.

Received everything in good order; all the parts included as advertised three business days after I order them. I am a "detailed instruction" kind of guy so I was disappointed at the lack of depth and information provided in the instructions. The process ended up not being too bad after I figured out what they really meant and which brackets went where. As a precaution, I suggest using duct tape or some light adhesive tape to hold the hinge brackets in place in order to test fit louvers before you peel the plastic off the brackets and stick them in place - no second chance with the 3M adhesive. The paper template for hinge placement provided is pretty accurate but the instructions were not real clear on a simple method to find center of the rear window. I did all kind of measurements to make sure I was accurate and was still off. My wife came out to inspect the installation progress and said it was just like a sewing pattern. She said all I needed to do was place the upper window edge brackets in place to the right and left edges of the window and the template will fit perfectly between them and the center position and hinge bracket locations becomes evident. I told her that was too simplistic; betting ensued - I lost. The edge brackets have a "dog ear" on the outter edge to add a bit of security for holding the louvers in place. The bracket has another larger "dog ear" on the opposite side of the bracket which clips directly to the window in addition to the 3M adhesive. I could not push the clip in place with my hand so I used a rubber mallet to ever so gently tap the clip into place. That step is not listed in the instructions - maybe I was just being too cautious - but it slipped right in place. I placed a small piece of tape on the bracket section that clips over the window edge to protect the painted edge of the roof as the clip is being tapped in place.

Finally, brackets and latch clips are used at the bottom of the window to hold the louvers in place and allow the ability to raise the louvers in order to clean the window. That part of the install was pretty easy once the top hinge brackets and edge brackets are in their proper place. The latch clips used to hold the louver in place make me a little nervous but it seems to do exactly as designed. So far no rattles, vibration, or movement at speed (only up to 70 mph) and I did double check the nuts holding everything together. Maybe more detail than anyone wants but I am the poster boy for average installation skills and if I can do it.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005
MACH I Member
S197 Member

I had the same problem attaching the upper clips to the window. I thought of using a mallet, but worried about the consequences should I break a window . It would have also damaged the paint.

My solution was to file a little bit off the tab that hooks to the window. I figured if it was that hard to get on, it sure isn't comming off any easier.
I've been very pleased with mine. Absolutely no rattles, and it doesn't really obscure the view.
I'm not going to install the side louvers either.

'05 Sonic Blue GT w/ '07 V8 engine, 5-sp, IUP, Beige leather interior, nothing else -
just the way I wanted it. (1 of 113)
OK, so I've added a few things to it. Check my Profile - too many to list here.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Wink

Since my car is satin silver I am trying to convince my wife that blacking out the trunk section between the tail lights will complete the look I want for the rear. I may install a black vinyl panel since they don't seem to be too expensive as a trial and to show her what it would look like.

The only other thing I have done is sequential brake lights and the pulsing center brake light. I do a lot of looking at what others have done to their cars and am amazed at the creative genius of some owners as well as the significant change the most simple modifications produce. I love this site.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005
Apprentice

Did mine also and had the exact same results. The "instructions" were practically none existant but could be reasoned out by placing the louver assembly where you wanted it on the window. I also had probems trying to get the driver side top edge retainer clip under that side of the window. Easy cure for me. I installed the clip over on the passenger side and it slid in easily. Then I just slid it over to the driver's side. (Rear glass must not be aligned perfectly)

Two items of note. I have the 2 piece louver set. I suggest a little shot of flat black enamel over the washers/nuts attaching the 2 pieces to be less conspicuous, and I am having a problem with the louver not sitting flat on the window on the lower right side. It is securely locked in position at the bottom on both sides. Not a big issue as it does not vibrate or wriggle around. Just not perfect. My MODS have been all cosmetic for my GT and this one is the one I wanted the most and am very satisfied with it.

'05 GT Mineral Grey/Manual/. MODS: TRU Fiber GT-S Shelby style hood, AirRaid CAI, CDC Classic Chin Spoiler, WMS plenum cover & fuel rail covers, MRT hood struts, MGW shifter set to 50% shorter shift, rear window louvers, Saleen Qtr Window Panels, Xenon black-out panel, Moss Motor tail light slotted covers.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006
5.0L Member

Does anyone have a link to the CDC rear window 2-piece louver? I'm interesting in buying side/rear louvers. Thanks.

scout
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006
PONY Member
S197 Member

http://www.classicdesignconcepts.com...splay/629.html

Thats pretty much the only two models they have and hope it helps.

2005 Screaming Yellow V6 Mustang - 5 Speed Manual, In Dash DVD/Navigation, Eibach Pro Kit, 10" Black Stripes with 1/2" Pinstripes, 10" Sub Woofer with Sony Amplifier, 20" Foose DF-5 Rims with paint matched center pieces.

2009 Shelby GT500 - White w/ Red Stripes - Stock (For Now)

2008 Shelby GT500KR 40th Anniversary Edition - Stock (For Now)
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007

Rear louver installation

Thank you all for your posts. You've given me the inspiration to order them and install them myself! LOL
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007
JEB
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Very nice write up on the install.

Good job!

I Hate GM, deal with it.
One shot, One Kill! Don't waste ammo, it's pricey!
2005 GT Screaming Yellow: SLP Loudmouths
Ibanez guitars, S&W revolvers, Glock Semi's
Republican write in Presidential Candidate 2012
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007
S197 Member

Nice write up... Congrats on the install.

Just got done installing my rear louvers, thanks in part to this thread. :-) (pics in profile) I do have 1 question...in the instructions, it said to use silicone on the back of the brackets for added measure. Once I started the process, I kind of got into a rhythm and totally forgot to add the silicone. Have any of you NOT added silicone and still happy with the fit and adhesion?
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
They look great... Are they aluminum?

1965 Mustang Coupe

Thank you stlwagon. Yes, they're aluminum. While I was shopping around I saw louvers that were considerably cheaper but they were also considerably cheaper looking! LOL
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottieluvr View Post
Just got done installing my rear louvers, thanks in part to this thread. :-) (pics in profile) I do have 1 question...in the instructions, it said to use silicone on the back of the brackets for added measure. Once I started the process, I kind of got into a rhythm and totally forgot to add the silicone. Have any of you NOT added silicone and still happy with the fit and adhesion?
Looks like you have the Astro-Hammond aluminum louvers. They want you to seal the edges of the mounting pads to keep moisture from getting onto the tape holding the brackets on, you can do this after you've mounted I believe. I've read some people have had issues with the mounting pads coming unstuck, hopefully the silicone will help.
I've got the MRT/Visus ones & have had them on just under a year & no issues with loose mounting pads on mine. I did wait a day to allow the mount pads to set before I hung the louvers on.

2012 Race Red Boss 302 # 1055
Previous Mustangs;
Torch Red 2006 GT
20 Yrs of Mini-vans
Grabber Blue 1970 Boss 302
Lime Green 1969 Notchback Coupe
Maroon 1967 Vert
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottieluvr View Post
Just got done installing my rear louvers, thanks in part to this thread.
I usually wonder why a thread from 2005/2006 gets revived, but in this case I see you used the nice write-up of someone else's install to help guide you in adding your own rear window louvers. I looked at the pics in your profile and it seems like you did a nice job. I always thought the black louvers looked best when matched with other black accents (black rear panel between the taillights, black stripes and/or black shaker hoodscoop, etc.). Adding a couple more black accents would even make the factory black side view mirrors part of the overall integrated look.

2013 Boss 302 gotta-have-it green
2008 Shelby GT500 torch red with black stripes + sequentials
2001 Cobra mineral grey with 2003 Mach 1 shaker hood
1996 Cobra color-shifting mystic paint + sequentials

Agreed Gary Paul, I love black accents, especially on a lighter colored car. There will be more to come, just not sure what exactly I want yet.

Thank you aircare, I'll try to add some silicone just as an extra measure. I know the directions said to wait a day before putting the louvers on but I got gung-ho and couldn't wait! LOL Plus, I pressed the brackets down so hard the back end actually lowered and I don't intend to drive it for 4 days.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page