Powder Covered Cam Covers - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Powder Covered Cam Covers

Just put them in today...PITA to get at some of the bolts, but I think it was worth it...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine Bay4.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	12634   Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine Bay5.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	12635   Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine Bay6.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	12636  

12.4 @ 111mph

Saleen S/C, Thump Tensioner, BGG 8 Rib, Kooks, Stingers, Gords, 4.10, Spec 3+, Pro 5.0, GT500 FPs, GT500 T/B, Ultralite Springs, DSpecs, Prothane Mounts, BMR - Adj. Panhard Bar, LCAs, LCA Relo Brackets, Adj. UCA, Rear Sway, Sway Delete/Rad Support
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005

may i ask what kinda of materials you used to paint the covers and steps taken to do so ?

thanks

post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Fantastic!

Well worth the effort!

'95 Ranger 5.0 GT40X Tri-y GT40 Intake S-Trim Snow Stage 2 Lowered Baer Racing Brakes Viper Spec Tremec w/Hurst shifter Custom Interior Dakota Digital Dash Corbeau Toplines OZ Racing AM/FM/Mp3/CD/DVD/TV.

2014 GTIG 5.0 Vert Base. Sil Carb Fiber dash. Bama Race Tune. Gibson axle backs. STEEDA Springs KONI STR.T Adj. Panhard. Dynamatted. Audiocontrol LC8i Amps and Sub! Leather OEM seats. Custom Badging.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scramblr
Just put them in today...PITA to get at some of the bolts, but I think it was worth it...
What a great way to dress up the engine compartment. Let me know the process and the cost would be great as well. Thanks
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005
PONY Member

Nice. Very nice...

now if FoMoCo would just start painting them all like this

I put up a thread a while back over at blueovalforums.com asking ford to do something about the way raw aluminum oxidizes, another guy suggested offering engine appearance upgrades just like "IUP" for the interior..."EUP" option. IT WOULD SELL.

"GET-E-UP for your ponycar!" theyd sell a bunch

06 gt stick vista blue - love this car!
07 pony auto vista blue (wifes)
09 gt stick vista blue (ordered day after the '10 reveal- 4 miles/undriven still)
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

If you're interested in this, please get a hold of Hatchman over at TMS. He's got a guy that paints them for him. Total cost with shipping is about $120 dollars. You get a pair shipped to you painted, swap them out with yours, and then send yours back. In-turn, yours will be used for the next person in line. Hatchman spent $400+ to buy the extra set so that no one has to be without a car while waiting for the covers to be painted. Pretty nice of him!!

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=28374

Mods: If I'm not allowed to post a link, please delete and folks can PM me.

Thanks...

12.4 @ 111mph

Saleen S/C, Thump Tensioner, BGG 8 Rib, Kooks, Stingers, Gords, 4.10, Spec 3+, Pro 5.0, GT500 FPs, GT500 T/B, Ultralite Springs, DSpecs, Prothane Mounts, BMR - Adj. Panhard Bar, LCAs, LCA Relo Brackets, Adj. UCA, Rear Sway, Sway Delete/Rad Support
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

That looks great! I've considered powder coating my valve covers a color the called,"almost aluminum",they look like ceramic coating and are easy to keep clean.

98'GT Rio Red
Loaded opts. from the factory
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Anodized aluminum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford4v429
I put up a thread a while back over at blueovalforums.com asking ford to do something about the way raw aluminum oxidizes, another guy suggested offering engine appearance upgrades just like "IUP" for the interior..."EUP" option. IT WOULD SELL.

"GET-E-UP for your ponycar!"
"Get EUP"? Oh man that's terrible. Terrible terrible pun! I love it

I do aluminum anodizing for a living. We can chemically polish and anodize aluminum so that it looks almost as shiny as chrome. *However* it does not condict electricity, at all. Completely insulated, except the tiny spots that were actually touching the rack that held the part in the solution. Also, although you can anodize die cast aluminum it looks like crap and doesn't take much dye. Picture parts the color of garden soil, with perhaps a *slight* reddish tint, if you were hoping for red parts.

Other than that, any billet aluminum can be made very nice. 6061 and 7075 look best and are the most common alloys for machined parts, IME. Most sheet metal and bent parts, made of sheet metal, are 5052 and also anodize fine. 2024 looks good but has some problems with pitting if you are trying to go for a very dark color.

Awful lot of heavy, auto-parts are die cast or 356 alloy. If it is 356, we can certainly make it look prettier but if it wasn't machined, after casting, it doesn't look so good in any color but black.

I'd guess valve covers are die cast, when I think back on how they look, on the inside. Wouldn't try to anodize my own, anyway. But if you could polish them up really shiny, I could do a chromate conversion on them and they would be very protected from chemicals, but not abrasion, like from wires or vacuum tubes, under the hood. Also, chromate conversion retains the part's ability to conduct, electricity, if you need it to. The only downside is that the process involves hexavalent chrome. Ever see the movie "Erin Brockovich"? Yeah, that stuff. I don't know if it is bad to touch the parts after we process them. I wouldn't know, b/c I don't touch them

Hope this helps,
-David

2006 Black, GT, spoiler delete, five speed, leather, custom welded straight pipes with resonators, sequential turn signals, Hurst Pro Performance shifter. FRPP 4.10s with Motive bearing kit, Spydershaft one piece aluminum driveshaft, w/ Spicer 1330 U-joints, Steeda UCA and LCAs, chrome moly panhard rod. bye bye wheel hop, hello traction! SCT XCalII, BBK CAI, ZEX 100 shot.
I've written a book or two. Google David Buschhorn to laugh at my scribblings.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005
PONY Member
S197 Member

Send a message via MSN to hawgman Send a message via Yahoo to hawgman
I got a set done through Hatchman a couple of months ago. I went with the Aluminum.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 013 (Medium).jpg
Views:	167
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	12689   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 018 (Medium).jpg
Views:	157
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	12690  

2005 GT Premium,torch red, all available factory options.
Performance mods: Lets just say it's not stock.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

This IntelliTXT stuff sucks.
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scramblr
Nice job there. I kept looking at the 1st pic and finally figured out what was different. The oil fill has been relocated from last year.

2005 GT coupe

Valve Covers are magnesium.
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgman
I got a set done through Hatchman a couple of months ago. I went with the Aluminum.
Hey hawgman,
Many ?'s How did you get the C&L tube to fit w/ the Steeda box? I got one, but no way would it go together. Where did you get the chromed tube? Did color under the Steeda box cover? Last one, did you use the red line lift kit? thanks,

2005 GT coupe
PONY Member
S197 Member

Send a message via MSN to hawgman Send a message via Yahoo to hawgman
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny1213
Hey hawgman,
Many ?'s How did you get the C&L tube to fit w/ the Steeda box? I got one, but no way would it go together.
Just lucky I guess? Don't really know, just adjusted on the boots until everything fit together. It did take a little bit of adjustment, but wasn't really all that tough to do.

Quote:
Where did you get the chromed tube?
Not chrome. It is a regular C&L intake tube that has been polished. A buddy of mine owns a metal polishing business and does primarily car and bike parts. I sent it up to him and he did it for me. Considered doing the cam covers too, but when he told me how long a polish job would last on magnesium covers, I opted for the powder coating.

Quote:
Did color under the Steeda box cover?
If you mean the fuse box cover, yea, just slapped a little blue and white paint on the top of the fuse box cover before I put the Steeda cover on it.
Quote:
Last one, did you use the red line lift kit? thanks,
Yup, those are the Redline's. Couldn't be happier with them.

2005 GT Premium,torch red, all available factory options.
Performance mods: Lets just say it's not stock.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

This IntelliTXT stuff sucks.
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgman
Just lucky I guess? Don't really know, just adjusted on the boots until everything fit together. It did take a little bit of adjustment, but wasn't really all that tough to do.

Not chrome. It is a regular C&L intake tube that has been polished. A buddy of mine owns a metal polishing business and does primarily car and bike parts. I sent it up to him and he did it for me. Considered doing the cam covers too, but when he told me how long a polish job would last on magnesium covers, I opted for the powder coating.

If you mean the fuse box cover, yea, just slapped a little blue and white paint on the top of the fuse box cover before I put the Steeda cover on it.Yup, those are the Redline's. Couldn't be happier with them.
Hey hawgman,
Good stuff. thanks. winter wonderland to face this morning.

2005 GT coupe
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlack
"Get EUP"? Oh man that's terrible. Terrible terrible pun! I love it

I do aluminum anodizing for a living. We can chemically polish and anodize aluminum so that it looks almost as shiny as chrome. *However* it does not condict electricity, at all. Completely insulated, except the tiny spots that were actually touching the rack that held the part in the solution. Also, although you can anodize die cast aluminum it looks like crap and doesn't take much dye. Picture parts the color of garden soil, with perhaps a *slight* reddish tint, if you were hoping for red parts.

Other than that, any billet aluminum can be made very nice. 6061 and 7075 look best and are the most common alloys for machined parts, IME. Most sheet metal and bent parts, made of sheet metal, are 5052 and also anodize fine. 2024 looks good but has some problems with pitting if you are trying to go for a very dark color.

Awful lot of heavy, auto-parts are die cast or 356 alloy. If it is 356, we can certainly make it look prettier but if it wasn't machined, after casting, it doesn't look so good in any color but black.

I'd guess valve covers are die cast, when I think back on how they look, on the inside. Wouldn't try to anodize my own, anyway. But if you could polish them up really shiny, I could do a chromate conversion on them and they would be very protected from chemicals, but not abrasion, like from wires or vacuum tubes, under the hood. Also, chromate conversion retains the part's ability to conduct, electricity, if you need it to. The only downside is that the process involves hexavalent chrome. Ever see the movie "Erin Brockovich"? Yeah, that stuff. I don't know if it is bad to touch the parts after we process them. I wouldn't know, b/c I don't touch them

Hope this helps,
-David
Mustangs have vacuum tubes? Is that what keeps the flux capacitor charged?

AFM Site Administrator
2006 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT Manual.
Alpine H/U with Infinity speakers.
Powerhouse CAI and Tune.
Previous Mustangs:
1978 2.8 L, 1979 5.0, 1982 5.0 "HO", 1986 5.0 GT

Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page