What Made A Mustang A Mach 1? Boss? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

What Made A Mustang A Mach 1? Boss?

As A Rookie To Fords, I Was Wondering If Someone Can Tell Me What Made A Mustang A Mach 1 Or A Boss Back In The Day(late 60's-early70's). I Want To Incorporate Some Of These Looks Into My 06. Were They Dealer Or Factory Installed Options? Were The Stripe Packages Painted On Or Stickers? Were The Hood Scoops Functionable And What Kinds Were There?

06 GT PREMIUM Manual, 18's, Hurst billet, Webelectric sequentials, painted 10" stripes, Cervini KR500 hood w/functional ram air kit, K&N air filter, Cervini side exhaust, chin spoiler, hood struts, rear ducktail, quarter panel scoops, and quarter window scoops, Midweat Auto Gear strut tower covers, 1/2 mirror covers, and fuel rail covers. Pioneer touch screeen head unit w/blue tooth, dvd & sirius.Also haves: 1969 Lemans & 1968 Firebird.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006
PONY Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

You'll probably get a lot of good replies from the guys and gals on this forum, but here's a start. My Dad's 69 Mach I has a 351 Cleveland in it. The hood scoop is mostly looks. Stripes are a tape kit, not painted. Factory options, I believe. Pretty sure the motor had a lot to do with it. There was a really good show on Speed channel a week or so ago strictly on the Mach I - from beginning to today's Mach's. If you can find a copy, it was worth the time to watch.

2006 Deluxe GT. 5-spd. Black w/Dk. Charcoal cloth. IUP. Shaker 500. 8" stripes painted "satin grey effect".

1966 Sprint 200 coupe - Wimbledon White/red metal flake, red interior. 92,000 miles. 3rd owner (since 1989).
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006
PONY Member
S197 Member

Here's a couple of links w/some info

Boss 429
http://www.mustangandfords.com/featuredvehicles/5154/

Boss 302 & Mach 1
http://home.pon.net/hunnicutt/history_69_73.htm

White GT500 Vert / Blue Stripes- I'm waiting.....

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006
Banned

The MACH I was added in 1969, and was a Sportsroof (Ford's new term for a fastback...lasted 2 years). Externaly, the MACH had a side stripe, a hood scoop, and spoilers. Inside was a modified Deluxe interriorthat had woodgrain, the first high-back bucket seats for a Mustang (with a colored stripe near the top, Red or Argent), a 3 spoke steering wheel, and a special carpet. The MACH I came with any V8 offered other than the 302 and the BOSS engines.

The BOSS'es are a different story, since they are 3 different cars.

The BOSS 302 (1969-70) was a race car toned down for the street, and was the best handling Mustang of it's time. Many suspension modifications were done, and the whole purpose of this car was to go out and win in the SCCA Trans-Am Challange. Under the hood was the mighty BOSS 302, that used cylinder heads designed for the up coming 1970 351C, and made a factory rated 290 hp (The NHRA listed a stock BOSS 302 as 335hp). The BOSSes had few options, all interriors were standard and black, Magnum 500's were an option, as well as spoilers, rear window slats, and a shaker hood scoop.

The BOSS 429 (1969-70) was an excuse to make the BOSS 429 legal in NASCAR, just less than 1000 were built in 2 years. The shock towers were moved to make room for the massive engine's cylinder heads, and the car had a hood scoop.

The BOSS 351 was built in 1971 only, and until the 2000 R-Code was released, was the quickest factory Mustang. It had a few refinements over the BOSS 302 and was built for the Trans-Am Challange, but just as production began, Ford, GM, and MOPAR pulled all factory support from racing, and the BOSS died a premature death. The BOSS 351 engine was slightly de-tuned in 1972 and was now the 351 Cobra Jet
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Thanks Guys! Keep Em Coming..especially The Links With Pictures Of The 1970 Models...they Appear To Look The Closest To Our Style...did Any Of The Mustangs Have The Two Stripe "lemans" Style Striping, Or Were They Only On Shelby's??..I'M GOING TO SEE IF I CAN GET A LOOK AT THAT SPEED CHANNEL EPISODE...THANX, MIKE

06 GT PREMIUM Manual, 18's, Hurst billet, Webelectric sequentials, painted 10" stripes, Cervini KR500 hood w/functional ram air kit, K&N air filter, Cervini side exhaust, chin spoiler, hood struts, rear ducktail, quarter panel scoops, and quarter window scoops, Midweat Auto Gear strut tower covers, 1/2 mirror covers, and fuel rail covers. Pioneer touch screeen head unit w/blue tooth, dvd & sirius.Also haves: 1969 Lemans & 1968 Firebird.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTLM4LIFE
Thanks Guys! Keep Em Coming..especially The Links With Pictures Of The 1970 Models...they Appear To Look The Closest To Our Style...did Any Of The Mustangs Have The Two Stripe "lemans" Style Striping, Or Were They Only On Shelby's??..I'M GOING TO SEE IF I CAN GET A LOOK AT THAT SPEED CHANNEL EPISODE...THANX, MIKE
only Shelby's and COBRA II's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page