Clean the engine, underside? Or not? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Clean the engine, underside? Or not?

I hope I'm not clogging this nice forum here with dumb questions... I apologize in advance...
I want to keep the engine clean and it looks like you just spray it down?? I can't imagine... Don't I have to cover things up and be real careful what gets wet?
Also what about cleaning the underside? Do people do that? Any tips there would be appreciated!

Joe

2006 Premium GT, Vista Blue, 5 Speed Auto, Pioneer 4100NEX Head Unit, Shaker 1000, Anti-Theft, 18" Chrome Mag wheels, Interior upgrade, side airbags, Backup cam
Receipt Date: 9/14/2005
Serialize Date: 10/20/2005
Blend Date: 11/15/2005
Produced Date: 11/22/2005
Author Idiots Stripe Guide, FRD04-AUX Guide
Need help installing stereo? Let me know!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006

It depends on how anal you are. Me, I clean the engine really well (brushes and elbow grease) when I wax the car, otherwise I just spray it down. It won't hurt anything to get wet, but make sure the engine is adequately cooled before putting cold water on it. After letting it dry, spray a little tire shine on the hoses and other plastic parts to make it look really nice. The underside -- well, I figure nobody's going to see that, so unless you're going to show the car, skip it.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006

I usually clean my engine in the spring with simple green and then keep it wiped down during show season. Stays looking really nice.

But as others have said, depends on how anal you are.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006

Simple Green works good. Gunk and the like has shown that if not cleaned off thoroughly can corrode the connectors.

You should have a compressor to blow off standing water and the connectors and sensors. There is a lot of nook and crannies water likes to hide in on these motors. You really don't want to allow the water to steam off. It may not effect anything now, but down the road it can, over time it can build up.

And I'd do the bottom as well along with the chassis.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member

The manual shows a couple water keep out zones, mainly the electrical items, fuse box, alternator.

AFM Site Administrator
2006 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT Manual.
Alpine H/U with Infinity speakers.
Powerhouse CAI and Tune.
Previous Mustangs:
1978 2.8 L, 1979 5.0, 1982 5.0 "HO", 1986 5.0 GT

Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006
S197 Member

Simple Green is good but it leaves a slight residue. I use Purple Power...........

Just an alternative suggestion.

Jeff
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006
Apprentice

I used to own an airplane (a Cessna 172) which, of course, was mostly aluminum. A number of aviation publications stated that Simple Green was corrosive to aluminum. Since the engine block is aluminum, might not be a good idea to use Simple Green. Seems like I remember something on the label saying that it is not for aluminum...

----------------------------------------------
2005 Mustang GT Convertible - Redfire, Parchment Leather Interior, Black Top - Stock
2008 Shelby GT500 Coupe - Black with Alloy Stripes, Black Leather Interior with Red Inserts - Stock
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006
PONY Member

we use a lot of simple green and 'something' blue at work for misc cleaning- Ive seen a LOT of damaged keyboard membranes on Fanuc CNC/robot controls minutes after wiping down with these cleaners- they seem to shrink up vinyl, especially if mixed 'strong'. I accidentally wiped my hands with simple green one day when we started up a machine, and went back to my programming terminal- by the end of the day the keyboard was discolored and cracked...with so many plastics under the hood, Id worry about anything that even possibly might cause any issues. The ONLY thing I use is fantastik or 409...wether cleaning circuit boards or engine blocks, it does the job. For cleaning circuit boards, far too many things theyve tried at work have caused corrosion over the years- I have NEVER seen any adverse effects from fantastik or 409(409 can tint stuff a little purple though). A buddy of mine that does a lot of CNC board repairs floored me when I saw him dunking PCBs into fantastik, but he was right(as usual), and Ive been sold on it for years. no residue, and dont attack anything, cuts dirt fast...when cleaning boards to repair I usually use a soft bristle paintbrush(bristles cut about half length) to help scrub, blow it dry and done.(none of the above are 'recommended' or perhaps usually warned against, but heck it works for me...). Just my 2 cents.

edit- as far as undercarriage, Im knee deep in mine right now...theres some pics here you might want to look at- dunno if I'm doing right or wrong, but this cars gonna have a fighting chance of surviving more winters than any other Ive ever had...I hope...I love this car!
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index....0&#entry609470

06 gt stick vista blue - love this car!
07 pony auto vista blue (wifes)
09 gt stick vista blue (ordered day after the '10 reveal- 4 miles/undriven still)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006
GT Member
S197 Member

I also use 409 for overall cleaning, Zaino Z-12 for plastic parts and Z-14 for rubber parts. Still looks new after 40,000+ miles.

2005 Mustang GT with 300 ci 04 Cobra iron block, Kenne Bell 2.6l twin screw, P&P S3 Heads, SS valves, Comp S3 cams, Currie 9+ 9" rear end and DS, Hurst shifter, BMR K-member, A-arms, LCAs & UCA, JBA long tubes & mid-pipe, Accel COPs, Dual GT500 fuel pumps, much more...
670 RWHP, 640Tq @ 16 psi & 6400 RPM
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

So, there's hope for keeping it new! I really want to keep this car looking as new as long as I can...

I LOVE this car!
Joe

2006 Premium GT, Vista Blue, 5 Speed Auto, Pioneer 4100NEX Head Unit, Shaker 1000, Anti-Theft, 18" Chrome Mag wheels, Interior upgrade, side airbags, Backup cam
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford4v429
we use a lot of simple green and 'something' blue at work for misc cleaning- Ive seen a LOT of damaged keyboard membranes on Fanuc CNC/robot controls minutes after wiping down with these cleaners- they seem to shrink up vinyl, especially if mixed 'strong'. I accidentally wiped my hands with simple green one day when we started up a machine, and went back to my programming terminal- by the end of the day the keyboard was discolored and cracked...with so many plastics under the hood, Id worry about anything that even possibly might cause any issues. The ONLY thing I use is fantastik or 409...wether cleaning circuit boards or engine blocks, it does the job. For cleaning circuit boards, far too many things theyve tried at work have caused corrosion over the years- I have NEVER seen any adverse effects from fantastik or 409(409 can tint stuff a little purple though). A buddy of mine that does a lot of CNC board repairs floored me when I saw him dunking PCBs into fantastik, but he was right(as usual), and Ive been sold on it for years. no residue, and dont attack anything, cuts dirt fast...when cleaning boards to repair I usually use a soft bristle paintbrush(bristles cut about half length) to help scrub, blow it dry and done.(none of the above are 'recommended' or perhaps usually warned against, but heck it works for me...). Just my 2 cents.

edit- as far as undercarriage, Im knee deep in mine right now...theres some pics here you might want to look at- dunno if I'm doing right or wrong, but this cars gonna have a fighting chance of surviving more winters than any other Ive ever had...I hope...I love this car!
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index....0&#entry609470
Sorry, a little off topic here, but you mentioned cleaning circuit boards, I remember we used to run them through a dishwasher right after they were built and they came out very clean Of course we used water soluble flux. (my gold ol days) Now it's computers, I hate computers!!!!!!!

Funny about simple green, I heard that stuff was supposed to be so safe, that you could drink it.

AFM Site Administrator
2006 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT Manual.
Alpine H/U with Infinity speakers.
Powerhouse CAI and Tune.
Previous Mustangs:
1978 2.8 L, 1979 5.0, 1982 5.0 "HO", 1986 5.0 GT

Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Read your manual. It says to cover the electronics. If you don't you might short circuit something.

SOLD -2005 Black GT Whipple HO| Oil Seperator | Steeda Tensioner | 93 dyno tune | Autometer Cobalt | GTAs | Eibach Pro-kit | Tokico D-Specs | CHE UCA | BMR PH | BMR LCA | BMR LCA Bracket | 18x9/10 Deep Dish Bullits

2013 Shelby GT500
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Read the manual, but when I open the hood I see TONS of electronics... It would be like "wash your car, but be careful not to get the trim wet..."
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw0scoops123
Read your manual. It says to cover the electronics. If you don't you might short circuit something.

i want to wash my engine this weekend but im scared ill screw something up. As long as i have most of the electrical stuff cover should everthing be fine? Also what do u guys use to clean the padding on the hood? Thanks for any help

I wash mine all the time, at least 1 or 2 time a month, I am anal when it comes to my Mustang. All I do is first rince cold motor down with water, spray on Simple Green Automotive, let stand for 5 minutes, agitate with wash mit, rinse, and then blow dry, with air blower at my shop or leaf blower from my vacuum at home. I have done this on all my vehicle, never had a problem.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page