Things I didn't notice on my new Mustang... - Page 9 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by My05

So somebody tell me ..... Am I the only person who didn't know about the SIGNIFICANT difference when turning the TC off???
Well, you are not the only one with an idiot for a salesman. You would think being their "Flagship" car, or the only car that is really keeping their Stock up right now...that all their salesman would be experts.
Anyway, I took mine for a test drive and the kid who sold me mine knew very little. He did not inform me of any of the extra features:Auto rolldown/hidden compartment/seatbelt straps etc.
I went for a test drive and was like you, I didn't see the real burn out power but noticed when layed on it...the Traction control light went on. It was dry out. So, I asked if it was any different with it off. He said only in slippery weather. Well after getting to know the car a few miles later, I acted like I was tuning the radio and turned it the traction off. Well, big mistake. I was turning a corner and figured it would not have been that significant of a change......OOOOPPPPPPPS! Anyway you get the idea.
I knew the traction control on most vehicles is actually conected to the anti lock brake system. So it is actually working against the engine.
I just didn't realize HOW different the response would have been.
So, to answer.....NO you are not the only one who didn't know:smilie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

dunno, mine still pulls just as hard with the TC on/off its just if you lose traction when it kicks in.

'06 Tungsten GT 18" CT-R Gunmetals
Xcal2, JLTII, UDP, ProKit, Dspecs, Bump Steer kit, SS brake hoses, Strut Tower Brace, UCA, Adj.LCA's, AntiSquats, Panhard bar, MGW shifter, Steeda cowl hood, Hood pins, MRT hood struts*, 14" Antenna, Sequencial TL's, 07 Plenum cover, PJ Saleen heritage fascia, CDC ductail, SSE 1/4 window louvers, MAG mirror inserts, Rear trunk painted, MGW window switch plates, Billet door lock pins, Interior trunk release, Tint.

I can't imagine it pulling just as hard with it on, considering the difference I feel on mine. But Ford has made may changes since the car came out.

V6 Member
S197 Member

The traction control also plays with the throttle along with the ABS. I was playing in the snow covered parking lot one night after work, turning the TC on and off to get a feel for how the car handled in snow with and without it. With it on, if you throw the car into a slide (which is hard to do in the first place with TC on) and punch the pedal to the floor, you don't start spinning the tires, because the throttle is no longer controlled directly by your foot. Turn the TC off and you can do donuts in the snow and spin your tires all night long.

The TC works well, I was able to make it up a steep slick hill that stops most people without 4WD. Tires never spun out, and the back end stayed right in line with the front. Very nice! I still don't like to take the Stang out in the snow, but I don't feel quite as worried about it as when I first bought it. (I used to drive a Wrangler, so the snow performance really had me worried.)
SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

Next winter im going to do a 1/8th mile in snow video. That should be interesting.

Xcal2, JLTII, UDP, ProKit, Dspecs, Bump Steer kit, SS brake hoses, Strut Tower Brace, UCA, Adj.LCA's, AntiSquats, Panhard bar, MGW shifter, Steeda cowl hood, Hood pins, MRT hood struts*, 14" Antenna, Sequencial TL's, 07 Plenum cover, PJ Saleen heritage fascia, CDC ductail, SSE 1/4 window louvers, MAG mirror inserts, Rear trunk painted, MGW window switch plates, Billet door lock pins, Interior trunk release, Tint.
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME-jazz
1. No inside fuel release - i asked the salesman about it and just assumed he did'nt knew where it is but then after reading the owner's manual i had to believe its not there. Someone mentioned that salesman pointed it out as a safety feature, that's BS; I had two Miata's in the past (99 and 05) and they both had a trunk release INSIDE the centre console storage (alongwith fuel door release) and that center console could be locked with the key just like glove box.
I'm going to assume you mean "no inside TRUNK release..."

It is obvious you never had any one try to break into one of your little Mazda toys, or you would probably realize that the center console storage, lockable or not, is about as secure as a glass house in a hailstorm.

While a determined thief will get in in no time, it takes more to break into a trunk than into the center console of a Miata. With a 'vert, all it takes is a steakknife to get into the cab of the car through the roof. Without a release inside the car, at least they cannot make another quick slice and get into the trunk by way of slashing into the console.

Never really thought it was a big deal to push the button on the key fob, instead of searching for an insecure button in an insecure console.

BD
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcfrisch
If someone wants your gas bad enough, a little locking door isn't going to stop them.
Don't want to stop them...
Only want to make them see that mine is harder than yours, so they will take yours instead...
PONY Member
S197 Member

Something new to me. When I put Colton in the barn the other night with all the lights on, I turn on the brights and the fog lights turned off.

Colton - 06 GT Redfire
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogstar
Something new to me. When I put Colton in the barn the other night with all the lights on, I turn on the brights and the fog lights turned off.
Any car with factory-wired fog lamps will turn off the fogs when the high-beams are on. There's no reason you'd ever want to use the high-beams in fog, and no reason you'd ever need the fog lamps in addition to the high-beams.

This doesn't really count since I knew about the feature, but I was incredibly impressed with how well the traction control does. I'd been driving a Lincoln Mark VIII (1990's Thunderbird chassis) and even with traction control it was awful in anything other than dry conditions. About a week after I took possession of the Mustang, we had a hail/snow-storm up here and the Mustang just shrugged it off as though it was nothing.
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenmervolt
Any car with factory-wired fog lamps will turn off the fogs when the high-beams are on.
This is my first car with factory fogs so it was new to me. It makes sense, but never really thought about it.

As far as the TC, I tried a little experiment a couple weeks ago just to get feel for the difference. The weather provided a light sprinkle so the roads were wet. After playing for awhile with the TC on, I turned it off. Taking a natural curve in the road, I spurred Colton in the a** a little and found myself starting to go sideways at 40mph. A thrill every minute behind the wheel.

Colton - 06 GT Redfire
GT Member
S197 Member

Alrighty now.....found the false bottom, the better to hold a 'tall boy' in, the seat belt loop, doesn't really help much, the 'bag' holders and it does seem to launch a bit harder with the traction control off..........

'06---GT Deluxe 'Casper" IUP, shaker 500, auto, 17" bullitts, white/light graphite

retro '69 351 hood an scoop

"Hello America, you sick twisted freaks"
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpdoc
Alrighty now.....found the false bottom, the better to hold a 'tall boy' in, the seat belt loop, doesn't really help much, the 'bag' holders and it does seem to launch a bit harder with the traction control off..........
Yeah, but wouldn't the bag holders be more useful if they were located on the underside of the trunk lid? Then the bags would hang and swing as the car moved but I can't get anything to stay attached to those "holders".

Maybe if the bags hung from the trunk lid, when you launched, the people behind you would see egg goo come blasting out your tail light bezels after the bags slamed the rear of the trunk. Or posibly the people behind you would comment on the new condition of your gallon jug.

"Oooh, he's gonna need to buy another milk."

Yeah, but not everybody knows that most dairy products can only handle about one G. Not counting cheese. I shoulda got the NASA approved yogurt, dammit!

2006 Black, GT, spoiler delete, five speed, leather, custom welded straight pipes with resonators, sequential turn signals, Hurst Pro Performance shifter. FRPP 4.10s with Motive bearing kit, Spydershaft one piece aluminum driveshaft, w/ Spicer 1330 U-joints, Steeda UCA and LCAs, chrome moly panhard rod. bye bye wheel hop, hello traction! SCT XCalII, BBK CAI, ZEX 100 shot.
I've written a book or two. Google David Buschhorn to laugh at my scribblings.
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohaku
So the update is a snap on a nylon strap? That is alot more cost efficient.
My 05 Gt had a Magnetic strap, my 06 has a snap strap.

hmm ever been flashed by someones brights, because when you turned off yours it looked like you were actually turning them on because brights on = no fog lights, brights off = fog lights on.. its so DAMN ANNOYING i cant say how many times people just randomly flash their brights in my face!

and ugh i need to get mycolor installed then if it can be!

And that magnetic strip all i ahve to say its THANK YOU! I was so TIRED of having to like lean back and grab my seatbelt everytime, i mean im in a habbit of it now but wow its a pain!

and its really a big diff w/o TC? Ill have to try it..
SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

I cant believe this hasnt been mentioned. Prolly should even be a sticky its so neat. And I dont think its in the owners manual.

But these radios support RDS (Radio Data System for VHF/FM broadcasting)

Its default mode is off. But to turn it on, hold the menu button until RDS On/Off is displayed, change it to on. Most radio stations call letters, and name of song/artist will be displayed on the radios screen. Now not all stations broadcast this, but most im my area of Chicago they do.

I love this feature!

This also worked on my g/f's 05 Focus with the Standard radio (looks same as mustangs)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page