2006 GT quality and reliability: Help me choose - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member
S197 Member
 
mustangaretuff's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Park Hills
Posts: 265
 
I think this thread is pretty ironic. About 4 years ago (roughtly not sure how long ago) I read an article in Autoweek. It stated that Ford decided to bench mark the BMW. They were saying that in the future the Mustang would compete against the BMW coupe.


Personally I had been conflicted for the last year and almost bought a 540I six speed, but thought better of it.

A friend of mine, who just bought a Ford GT, came into my office and we were talking cars. I told him I was looking at a 540I, and his reply was...... "Well that certainly is a grown up car" I laughed and thought, he is right, too grown up and stuffy..... Now I am not dogging anyone that owns a BMW, because they are AWESOME cars, but for me, I want something thats a little more brash.

My biggest concern is handleing as I spend my time on the roadcourses of Mid Ohio, Gingerman, and Putnam whenever possible. I bought this car to replace my Miata and the BMW came to mind first. After reading about the mustang and driving one, I knew this was a very capable platform. I went ahead and ordered some really light 18inch wheels and the FRPP kit and I think it will do the trick. Plus there is nothing. I mean nothing cooler than hanging the tail out in a power drift, tires blazing......

For me, the Mustang was the best choice, especially for the price. X plan pricing 25,800, new wheels tires, 2000, FRPP kit 1049 (Modular depot), total 28049.... What a bargain, especially compared to a new BMW 330ci


Just my 2 cents

BC


You can see the project at Grassroots Motorsports
mustangaretuff is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
S197 Member
 
sincitystang's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,235
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibboo
You know you guys are all praising the reliability of Toyota and Honda, but neither are in the top 5 of the JD Power Dependability Scores. 3 of the top 5 are American cars. Unfortunately, BMW isn't listed since this is an american car compared to Japanese car chart.

Fact check: Are American cars really that bad?
http://www.cnn.com/2006/AUTOS/01/23/...ars/index.html
I've always had a thing for reliable cars, as for my experiences, every toyota i've owned has been the most reliable car i've had. Its not just reliability, but cost of ownership. I've had american cars that were good too, but i've seen more things break in the long run(non powertrain), but the powertrain was good. I know people who have 250K miles on their chevy trucks, but they have gone thru a transmision or computer went bad, etc. I know people with toyotas that are up on 300K, (i have a corolla that has 320K) that has everything original. I just see more cases of toyotas and some hondas that last longer than some of their american counterparts. I think that study by JD powers was for short term right? I think most people only keep their cars 4 years and get rid of them, just to have a new car every 4 years or so. You really cant go wrong with any car if your gonna keep it for short term (under 48 months). I read in 2004 the most reliable car was actually a Hyundai Sonata. It had 2 problems out of 100 cars, i cant recall where i read this.

sincitystang is offline  
S197 Member
 
htownStang's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 10
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaise
Allright fellow-stang enthusiasts,

After scanning the other posts, I see that there's been some trouble with the stereos, the steering, the fuel filters, and clunking with the auto gearboxes (I'm getting a manual). Am I missing anything? Any indicators for long-term problems?
The problems you describe are on very early 2005 production. Mine 05 Mustang GT build on June\05 and most problems was fixed.

[/QUOTE]What about longevity? Does anybody have a Mustang with 150K miles.[/QUOTE]
You can get Mustang to 150k mile with all maintaince are up to date. but it going to be slow Mustang by then LOL
htownStang is offline  
 
Rookie
 
P51Driver's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Honolulu
Posts: 26
 
Send a message via Yahoo to P51Driver
Both cars have their strengths so the bottom line is which route will you take. I've always driven V8 Mustangs but in my early 20s, BMW was the car to show you arrived and I wanted one myself ("Greed is good"). I had an '88 5.0 and my college roomate bought a BMW 635CSi (gray market import). His car was well engineered and solid but lacked (imo) fire and imagination. Nevertheless, the ladies were attracted to his ride as he shined in the limelight while I battled GM's army in the trenches of stoplight warfare. In the late '90s I drove a different 5.0 while he moved to a Z3. His Z3 was a blast to go ripping through the mountains at a speeds I could only dream about in a 5.0. But then again I could change the sparkplugs, adjust timing and do simple maintenance to my car in the driveway while he had to take his Bimmer to a tech. Now he has the Z-4 and I have the S197 vert and the "gap" in quality between cars doesn't seem that big. Also, the gap in appearance has reversed as my car is the looker and his is the "played that tune."
Oh yeah, in terms of Japaneses quality, I hate to say it, but its true. I lived in Japan for 3 years and drove a p.o.s. Honda Integra (no such thing as Acura over there) that I treated like crap with zero preventative maintenance and only 2 oils changes the entire time. I expected the car to fall apart but it lasted the whole time and I resold it. American cars are reliable too. But its a different culture. Here, it's somebody's job to assemble a car while over there it is somebody's duty. So over here if somebody has a bad day at work you the customer might wind up missing 2 bolts from the tranny, over there somebody has a bad day and the worker is fired and the family name is blemished. Thus, they'll put out a solid (read bland) product such as the Civic while we'll come up with breathtaking classics that still have occasional flaws.

Bonnie - '06 GT Vert, Tungsten Grey, 5-sp., IUP, Fanblades, Bone Stock...for now
Hammer - '91 GT Hatchback, 3.73 gears, HD clutch, X303 cam, long tube headers, aluminum radiator, subframe connectors, rear battery mount, fiberglass hood, 17" chrome rims..for sale
P51Driver is offline  
S197 Member
 
sincitystang's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,235
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by P51Driver
Both cars have their strengths so the bottom line is which route will you take. I've always driven V8 Mustangs but in my early 20s, BMW was the car to show you arrived and I wanted one myself ("Greed is good"). I had an '88 5.0 and my college roomate bought a BMW 635CSi (gray market import). His car was well engineered and solid but lacked (imo) fire and imagination. Nevertheless, the ladies were attracted to his ride as he shined in the limelight while I battled GM's army in the trenches of stoplight warfare. In the late '90s I drove a different 5.0 while he moved to a Z3. His Z3 was a blast to go ripping through the mountains at a speeds I could only dream about in a 5.0. But then again I could change the sparkplugs, adjust timing and do simple maintenance to my car in the driveway while he had to take his Bimmer to a tech. Now he has the Z-4 and I have the S197 vert and the "gap" in quality between cars doesn't seem that big. Also, the gap in appearance has reversed as my car is the looker and his is the "played that tune."
Oh yeah, in terms of Japaneses quality, I hate to say it, but its true. I lived in Japan for 3 years and drove a p.o.s. Honda Integra (no such thing as Acura over there) that I treated like crap with zero preventative maintenance and only 2 oils changes the entire time. I expected the car to fall apart but it lasted the whole time and I resold it. American cars are reliable too. But its a different culture. Here, it's somebody's job to assemble a car while over there it is somebody's duty. So over here if somebody has a bad day at work you the customer might wind up missing 2 bolts from the tranny, over there somebody has a bad day and the worker is fired and the family name is blemished. Thus, they'll put out a solid (read bland) product such as the Civic while we'll come up with breathtaking classics that still have occasional flaws.
Not many japanese cars that are sold here in the US today is made in Japan anymore. But your right, their quality standards are a step about anyones because of their culture. Anyone seen the show TOPGEAR? its on discovery channel and it shows european cars tested on tracks and daily drivers.....kinda like Motorweek ?? They had a toyota pickup and tryed to destroy it and they even put it in the ocean, dropped it 20 feet and took a wreckingball to it, set it on fire....and the damn thing still ran! it was pretty amazing!
sincitystang is offline  
 
Sandwich's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 18
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibboo
You know you guys are all praising the reliability of Toyota and Honda, but neither are in the top 5 of the JD Power Dependability Scores. 3 of the top 5 are American cars. Unfortunately, BMW isn't listed since this is an american car compared to Japanese car chart.

Fact check: Are American cars really that bad?
http://www.cnn.com/2006/AUTOS/01/23/...ars/index.html
I read the article and I think it makes some valid points. The one MOST significant is just this... it's all about perception. I was actually trying to make a point in my previous post that my Buick has withstood quite a bit of abuse considering I've only had to replace the CV joints and not dump a new tranny in it, gives me the impression that my car is fairly reliable.

Back to perception. It clearly stated that alot of US drivers perceive the US Big 3 product to be "faulty" and "unreliable". So, when the product does actually operate correctly and reliably, then the consumer is pleased and ratings go up. However, if you've got a Honda or Toyota that has been plaqued "bullet proof", and you have some maintenance concerns (I've rarely heard of big engine and powertrain problems from Japan's Big 3 product, at least not as much as from American and European product) you get the reverse. All in all, just as Sincitystang and P51driver attest to the quality of their previous cars, I think they have rightfully earned that reputation.

If you were to ever take a stroll through a Big 3 vehicle assembly plant and then stroll through it's Japanese counterpart, you will notice an INCREDIBLE difference (keep in mind that the majority of the employees in each plant are US citizens). Quality comes down to ownership and attitude, and unfortunately that's where the US companies suffer the most and need to emulate their overseas (Japanese) competitors.

As for the Europeans, they should probably take notes from the Japanese also, seeing as how you've got to start dumping money into Euro cars as soon as they hit 50K miles; whereas your average US car probably goes 80 - 100K before having to dump some amount of cash into them.
Sandwich is offline  
post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
blaise's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 14
 
Thanks so much to everyone who has responded to this thread.
Thought you all might like to know that I decided to order the Mustang.

I plunked down a deposit yesterday for the following car:
2006 Mustang GT Premium, Redfire over Black, IUP with Satin Aluminum, Active Anti-Theft, Side Airbags, 18in 64E wheels, spoiler delete.

Here's to hoping for a quick build time!

Thanks again for all the comments. They helped a lot!
blaise is offline  
PONY Member
S197 Member
 
mustangaretuff's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Park Hills
Posts: 265
 
baise,


You will not regret it, picked my up Friday after ordering it in December. Get the FRPP suspension kit,some more aggresive wheels and tires, and you are in business. Ford did a good job with this car!

You can see the project at Grassroots Motorsports
mustangaretuff is offline  
 
Black06's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 83
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandwich
(I've rarely heard of big engine and powertrain problems from Japan's Big 3 product, at least not as much as from American and European product)
I hate to relate the following, as I love my 06 GT, but truth is truth: I used to work a Ford dealer that also owned a Honda franchise. We shared lots, etc. with the Honda guys. I became the Ford store's "Heavy repairs" guy - engines repairs, replacements, manual trans, etc. Between the 3.8, 4.2, and 4.0 SOHC v6s, and later the 4.6 rod problems, I was just about quite literally replacing an engine a day. The Honda guys did not have their own engine hoist or stands, so they would have to come borrow mine. In the three years I was at that dealership, they had to borrow the engine hoist TWICE. (And one of those times was for a tech's own Fast and Furious ride.) The two dealerships sold about the same number of cars, and their service department was less than half the size of the Ford dealer's.
Black06 is offline  
post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
blaise's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 14
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangaretuff
baise,


You will not regret it, picked my up Friday after ordering it in December. Get the FRPP suspension kit,some more aggresive wheels and tires, and you are in business. Ford did a good job with this car!
What size wheels did you get? I am thinking of installing the FRPP suspension pack, but I was a bit concerned that 18in wheels and 1.5 lowering might make the wheel well clearances too tight. How did it work on yours?

How is the handling and ride quality? Better handling would be great, but I don't want it to be too stiff.
blaise is offline  
PONY Member
S197 Member
 
stangcrosser's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Hilo
Posts: 464
 
I put 245/45 tires on 18x9 wheels on the front, and 275/40 tires on 18x10 wheels on the back of my 06 GT. The car is lowered (1.3 front, 1.8 rear) and there is no problem with clearing the fender wells.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lt front corner.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	14024  

'06 GT, manual, Satin Silver, lt. grey cloth int., IUP.
MODIFICATIONS - Goodyear F1 GS-D3s; 245/45 on 18x9, 275/40 on 18x10| Progress Technology springs & sway bars| Steeda adj. panhard bar, panhard brace, front control arm brace & bushings| strut tower brace| Tokico D-Spec dampers| CHE adj. LCAs & BMR relocation brackets |drilled & slotted front rotors| C&L intake| BamaChips SCT tune| FRPP 4.10 ring & pinion| Pypes off road H-pipes| FRPP GTA mufflers.
stangcrosser is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1